Headache using the old stamps for the new postal rates

Comments

• In my case I bought loads in 2011 just prior to really big hike and am still using them up - so not just a penny or two. Which considering one item I post was £1.08 & is now £2.80... 1st price before PIP came in BTW.
  • Mandy44
    Mandy44 Posts: 288 Forumite
    Good for you, I was talking about the OP worried about losing 3p, surely the hassle and time of getting down to the PO has got to be worth more than 3p.
    kalsha wrote: »
    I have a few small parcels to post and am struggling to make up £2.80 with these amounts!
    Stompa wrote: »
    Well the closest you're going to get using just your existing 1st and 2nd class stamps is:

£2.80: 3x53p + 2x62p (=£2.83)
    kalsha wrote: »
    Not paying RM anything more than I have to!
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Mandy44 wrote: »
    Good for you, I was talking about the OP worried about losing 3p, surely the hassle and time of getting down to the PO has got to be worth more than 3p.

It's fine if you are collecting your 'social' and down there all the time...
  • Mandy44
    It's fine if you are collecting your 'social' and down there all the time...

I guess so, I didn't want to insinuate that kalsha is on benefits though.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Mandy44 wrote: »
    I guess so, I didn't want to insinuate that kalsha is on benefits though.

No, you weren't that subtle. And I didn't want to infer it referred to anyone other than you, so I guess I wasn't either.
  • Just wondering what everyone does. Do you still take the stamped parcel to the post office to get proof of posting ? and do they still give you it even though you have not bought postage from them as I have some large letter stamps to use which I would like to use for ebay sales
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just wondering what everyone does. Do you still take the stamped parcel to the post office to get proof of posting ? and do they still give you it even though you have not bought postage from them as I have some large letter stamps to use which I would like to use for ebay sales

Mine all go in a sack to the mail centre and I have a bulk POP form which they stamp. They sometimes do a count of the parcels in the sack, and sometimes- if the big bosses are in they actually test weigh one.

I use a mix of stamps (when ebay postage is down) and ebay postage.

If I have a slow day and only sell a few smaller things I just bung it all in the post box without POP. However, I rarely lose anything and probably wouldn't claim for a sub £6-£7 item anyway.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    I've been eBaying for about 5 years, and in that time, only one parcel that I've sent has been claimed as lost.

Therefore, if I have low value things that'll fit into the post box, I'm quite happy to stamp them and pop them in the box, much better than queuing at the post office. Any risk of loss seems quite small
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Mandy44
    edited 20 April 2014 at 11:20AM
    Just wondering what everyone does. Do you still take the stamped parcel to the post office to get proof of posting ? and do they still give you it even though you have not bought postage from them as I have some large letter stamps to use which I would like to use for ebay sales

Its ridiculous they expect you to get proof of posting even when you buy self printed postage online. Especially when you consider you enter the postcode , the barcodes are unique , time limited and get scanned along the line giving proof they'd entered the system.

I gave up worrying about getting pop years ago on low value stuff that fits in the postbox, people like to make out their are far more scammers on eBay than is actually true.
  • Just wondering what everyone does. Do you still take the stamped parcel to the post office to get proof of posting ? and do they still give you it even though you have not bought postage from them as I have some large letter stamps to use which I would like to use for ebay sales

Yes, they do still give you a proof of posting even though you didn't buy the postage there. You used to be able to get postcard sized receipts which you filled the info in & they stamped it, but now they just print off a receipt.

If I'm going with other parcels, like overseas ones, or larger ones that don't fit through letterboxes then I will get a receipt but sometimes if it is just a small item then I take punt & post it anyway :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure