Clumsy children

Minor rant, just to make myself feel better.

My son (6) has had one of those days.
An argument with the cat this morning, resulting in a scratch below his eye.
A fight with a chair, which he lost, leaving a huge purple bruise on his face.
Fell up a flight of concrete stairs - that one gave him holes in the knees of his jeans, one scabby knee, one scratched knee and two cut palms.
Tripped over nothing and hit his arm on the coffee table (no bruise as yet).
Stood on the prickly cat treat dispenser, no injuries, just a sore foot.
Slipped coming downstairs and slid from almost the top to the bottom - nice carpet burn on his back.
And last, but not least, he stood behind his sister when she came home from school, she swung her school bag off her shoulders and knocked him halfway across the kitchen - another bruise on his face (opposite side to the last one), and teeth through bottom lip.

And, to top it all off, we've got an appointment with the school nurse tomorrow, with whom I clash every time I see her (I can't stand her, she hates me, and every meeting ends up in an argument) - the state of his face is going to go down well!

Does anyone else have days like this? Or is it just my kids who appear to enjoy pain?

Comments

• alleycat`
    alleycat` Posts: 1,901
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Although not quite on the same scale my DS does have the ability to injure himself in new and unique ways.

Usually, as you find, with inanimate objects.

My wife takes the "genetics" blame as she is also less than graceful. :D
  • cord123
    cord123 Posts: 644 Forumite
    I'm sorry but this did make me laugh!
    It does amaze me how children can fall over from the stand up not moving position... the other day my son slipped off his chair, taking the ipad with him, smashing his head and my ipad...!

Just a side note, have you had his hearing and eyes tested? My son has problems with both which is why he is constantly covered in bruises, just wondered if this could be the same for your LO? XX
  • chrisv24
    chrisv24 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Haha you do have a clumsy son there don't you! It's normal though, I used to be a basketball coach and the amount of quite frankly hilarious accidents the kids used to have was endless!
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    That does sound like a lot.

Does he normally bruise himself like this on a daily basis? Presumably some of this was done whilst he was at school today?
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    That does take 'little boy bruises' to a whole new level, sorry OP, I'm also laughing because like your lad I can trip over fresh air and fall down steps that aren't there.

But cord123 makes a good point, there are sometimes reasons for clumsiness. DS1 is dyspraxic but thankfully he's also a bit of a wuss which rather limits the amount of danger he puts himself in. In DS2's case he has Browns Syndrome (a particular kind of squint) that affects his ability to coordinate his actions, well... that's the obvious disability but he also has sensory processing problems which both drives him to seek thrill laden adventures but also lead him to misjudge the amount of effort needed to achieve things - lots of slamming and banging. Ear problems can also lead to clumsiness. Most little boys do themselves a considerable amount of damage while growing up but if it's more than most then consider having a chat with your GP and asking for his hearing, sight and co-ordination (which would require a referral to paediatric occupational therapy) checked.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • marisco_2
    marisco_2 Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    shortdog wrote: »
    Does anyone else have days like this? Or is it just my kids who appear to enjoy pain?

Awww poor little soul, hope tomorrow is better for him. I have had one of those days today too. A rock pooling trip to the beach with a class of kids resulted in me running up the beach with one squealing child under my arm to beat the tide. One child delivered safely to the beach, job done, or so I thought.

I stepped back, tripped and landed on some wet sand. So embarrassing but the kids had a laugh at my expense.
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My eldest child has always been clumsy - as I am 'less than graceful' like Alleycat's wife I take the blame - I can trip over my own shadow :(

When he was in year 1 they tested his hearing and eyesight. I was hoping they would find that glasses would prevent him bumping into bins and lamp-posts on the way to school, but the verdict is that he's just a clumsy child.

What are you seeing the school nurse about? Our school nurse sent my youngest to be assessed for dyspraxia but he wasn't quite bad enough for a diagnosis. He's on the waiting list for some classes to help with functional skills such as zips and buttons, pouring a drink etc. though.
    52% tight
  • cheeswright
    cheeswright Posts: 433
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hes growing
    when kids grow the nerve ending slightly seperate - apparently - (fascinating programme on tv about it a while back - professor winston presenting - showed an young ballerina going through the same stage....)
    anyway this means that impulses to muscles are missed - slow etc and clumsimess ensues
    then these catch up as sceletal growth slows and flesh has a chance to catch up - and a brief period of not falling over ensues - until the next growth spurt
    it also cheers the kid up to know their growing and not naturally clumsy
    Fight Back - Be Happy
  • MrsAnnie
    MrsAnnie Posts: 679 Forumite
    Awww. Poor little poppet!

Hope this is indicative of a very bad day, not a normal day! But hopefully it's nothing that a hot chocolate and a hug won't cure.

Good luck tomorrow with the school nurse x :o
    I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he ha
    s had to overcome while trying to succeed. Booker T Washington
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    shortdog wrote: »

My son (6) has had one of those days.
    An argument with the cat this morning, resulting in a scratch below his eye.

Nothing to do with you personally OP, but I'm just imagining the completely different direction the thread would have taken if you'd said dog instead of cat!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure