Quit everything , and start again over 50?

Comments

• Thanks LL
    Not sure how long being a cash buyer, will take .
    Just heard that , brexit article 50 will be done in the spring.
    Whether that effects house prices again, I don't know .

It'll be daunting and depressing once I land in parkstone , I would imagine.
    Lots of time on my hands. I will be keeping an eye to see if I can find my ideal flat , within 6 months.
    It'd be interesting if I found it before Christmas .
    We'll see :)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Time for a slapped wrist and a pep talk.:rotfl:

It will only be depressing if you allow it to be.

You will have what is probably your first debt free Christmas in years. Whats depressing about that.

You will have left a job you loathe and will have time to reconnect with all the things you like doing. Why is that depressing

By Christmas you will have joined a gym, lost some weight and will be on the road to health and vitality. How wonderful is that.

Come on now stop all this maudlin self pity........;)

You've come too far to give up now.

Forget about Brexit.... you can't change what may or may not happen ...leave it, let it go.

(time for a quick chorus from Frozen, lol)

Just concentrate on the areas of your life over which you can have some control and stop overthinking things.

It's not complicated........

Sell, rent, live, get fit, buy, settle down and then start the big adventure that is the rest of your life.

Now I'm go g to say something here which I know will make your bristle but as I have such a bad reputation for being a ferocious bossy Boots I will say it anyway.

You seem to have expensive tastes....looking at high end rentals when you should be lowering your sights a bit, squandering money you don't have on a cafe Nero habit.

With your budget you could buy somewhere outright and have enough left to tide you over till state retirement age with ease. Your insistence on a high end apartment in only the best areas is actually causing you a lot of angst about money.

Given your debt history, poor health etc I'm surprised you don't go for an easier option, namely downsizing and aiming for a much simpler way of living.

As it is you are putting yourself under a lot of (to my mind) unnecessary pressure, worrying about mone, fretting over whether you will find a job.......

Still it's none of my business ;) and I really do wish you well in your endeavours.

But please, cheer up, you are in such a fortunate position.

There a lot of people your age who are slogging away at jobs they hate, suffering ill health and yet with no hope of escape.

Maybe time to count your blessings.......and stop all the angst.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,639 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Well said LL.

I've been biting back the urge to say much the same.

AC, you really are not helping yourself with your narrow choice of area, and leasehold flats rather then freehold houses.

Also I don't get the need to be so close to your friends in Parkstone, you obviously aren't that close living in Twickenham are you?

That choice in itself is putting you into a much more expensive set of housing, with due to your budget, a very restricted choice of mainly flats with a few bungalows.

On the subject of bungalows the one I bed one I highlighted a few days back is hardly any distance from where your rental on Blair Avenue would be, yet you rejected the bungalow as being the wrong side of Parkstone?

Really, in your position health and finance wise, you don't want to be committing to somewhere with ongoing and high costs, no matter how nice any place is you have to be realistic about your future employment prospects and financial position.

As far as people/organisations contacting you, as soon as you have an address to move to, arrange a 6 month mail redirect with Royal Mail (it MUST be done before you move out of Twickenham) that will solve that problem.

As an aside, I've already said I live in County Durham - there are many, many towns and villages here where you could buy a brand new build house or bungalow for less then £130k - and with sensible budgeting you would never need to work again.

This being an example:
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-37732626.html
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Harz that bungalow is cheap, but have you seen the slideshow? Whoever took the pics, was deffo having a bad day :rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,639 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    candygirl wrote: »
    Harz that bungalow is cheap, but have you seen the slideshow? Whoever took the pics, was deffo having a bad day :rotfl:

Pretty standard stuff for new house builders. They nearly always use artist impressions/showhome pics etc. Like every other house you need to see it in the flesh.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 October 2016 at 5:23PM
    harz99 wrote: »
    Pretty standard stuff for new house builders. They nearly always use artist impressions/showhome pics etc. Like every other house you need to see it in the flesh.
    i was meaning, the many same pics of the outside of the house, n only two inside., not the artist's impressions :)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • lessonlearned
    That is a nice bungalow for the price, good layout.

If I could buy a new build here like that for that price I would snap it up.

The one I have offered on has an asking g price of £135k, I have offered less because of the amount of work required. I estimate £15k to £20k.

Whilst I like swanky apartments I won't be buying one. Too many risks of nightmare neighbours in fiats. Most of the time The sound Insulation is just not up to scratch.

Plus of course why shell out £1k a year in service charges.
  • lessonlearned
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    If you are in a position to exchange by Wednesday 12 October then with completion Wednesday 26 October that would give you 2 weeks to sort out rented accommodation and if you gave in your notice on 12th and used your holiday that may keep employers happy should you need reference in future. Hopefully nationwide would be happy to lend to you on proviso solicitors confirm your house completion is 26th. You may not need references to rent considering you lived a long time at your current address. Pets are usually a no no in rented places.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure