PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hider dried soup mix

I was given a packet of 500g of the above dried soup mix this morning at coffee morning and it doesn't come with instructions I have never used dried soup mix before so I was wondering
A. how much you use to make a decent batch ?
B. do you soak it overnight
C. any recipes would be handy
D. what's the ratio mix to water/stock

and have any of you used dried mix before and is it any good I normally make my soup with fresh veg (usually when they are starting to look past their best ;)) but I'm willing to give it a go,especially as it was a freebie :D:D

Comments

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 24 May 2016 at 4:25PM
    I remember having dried soup mix soup as a child and all I can remember is that it was awful but I had to eat it or else I went without. I still remember the dried asparagus it just looked pale green without any nice pieces of asparagus in.

I remember also those Chef square shaped soups in little square boxes because we used to have the chicken noodle one. No pieces of chicken just chicken flavoured with tiny pieces of pasta in. All I can say is yuk!!

I think the packet contents ratio to water was either 3/4 of a pint or one pint of water but I am not sure. Maybe someone will come along and help with that.

Do you remember the saying "chefs square shaped soups show how good soups should be". Why I remembered that saying I really have no idea. You were meant to say it really fast so it came out all wrong. :rotfl:

HTH

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • candlelight_2013
    candlelight_2013 Posts: 2,681 Forumite
    Jackie, I have just found an American soup mix and it says 1 cup of soup mix to 6 cups of boiling water and then simmer until cooked

I remember those little square boxes, hardly any flavour at all, I think I bought them because they were new.

Candlelightx
  • candlelight_2013
    candlelight_2013 Posts: 2,681 Forumite
    Jackie, sorry it said you could also use it in things like shepherd's pie, preumably bolognese as well to bulk it out

Candlelightx
  • New_Me
    New_Me Posts: 263 Forumite
    is this the mix with barley, peas etc? I make scotch broth with it, I'd recommend soaking in water overnight or for a couple of hours to reduce the cooking time. Recipe below - use mix instead of separate barley/peas

http://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/scotch-broth/
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    New_Me wrote: »
    is this the mix with barley, peas etc? I make scotch broth with it, I'd recommend soaking in water overnight or for a couple of hours to reduce the cooking time. Recipe below - use mix instead of separate barley/peas

http://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/scotch-broth/

yes thats the one I thought I'd have to soak it for a few hours at least and then I'd bung it in the slow cooker overnight There is 500grams of it what do you think the amount of water/stock i should use for this amount I don't want it too thin,but there again I don't want it to turn to 'porridge ' :):):)
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 May 2016 at 6:41PM
    I soak and cook a whole pack of the Sainsbury mix and then freeze it in portions to bulk out all my other soups/casseroles etc. I think my last 500g pack made about 1.25kg of 'base mix'.

Don't think it would be good as 'soup' in and of itself.

ETA: If in doubt - read back of packet Cat:D (Me not you Jackie)
    Mix is dried peas/barley and lentils.

'Soak mixture overnight in plenty of cold water. Allow 30g dried mix per serving. Rinse thoroughlly. Cover in cold water. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for 10mins. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40-50mins.'

Important : The mixture must always be soaked overnight and boiled rapidly for at least 10mins, especially if adding to soups etc.'

HTH Jackie.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I soak it overnight - just half a cup added to a pot of slightly waterier than usual veg soup. It's more of an addition than a mix I'd say.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • honeythewitch
    honeythewitch Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is it this one? http://www.hiderfoods.co.uk/product/soup-mix-12-x-500g/

I use this type of thing often. I never soak it, just make the soup as normal, sprinkle some in and simmer for a while.
    You only need a bit. :)
  • New_Me
    New_Me Posts: 263 Forumite
    The marrow fat peas are the last thing to cook and take the longest, so check one to see if it's ready. Sorry can't help with quantities, I just pour some out and make a huge pot. It does make more than you think though, I remember as a novice soup maker having to decant into a second pot so I'd say aim for less not more.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Is it this one? http://www.hiderfoods.co.uk/product/soup-mix-12-x-500g/

I use this type of thing often. I never soak it, just make the soup as normal, sprinkle some in and simmer for a while.
    You only need a bit. :)

Thats the one but for some reason it doesn't say how much water/stock you need to make it up with no instructions on the back I have 250 gms soaking at the moment and i will bung it into the SC overnight with perhaps 2.5 litres of water/stock and see what it looks like tomorrow morning,might chuck some dried onion in as well and a dollop of lazy garlic to flavour it a bit :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure