Aren't Bicycles Great.

Comments

• Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    I've been running a mix of my Boardman Hybrid Pro and 2011 GT Avalanche hard tail for cycling over the last couple of years. One for tarmac and one for off road.

I've had a few times at trail centres and local tracks where i've had the courage and lines to go faster but i've been a bit worried on breaking the bike or being flung off with the back wheel hopping.

I've had my eye on something else for the past 6 months.
    Price was knocked down further recently so decided to pick up a 2015 Ghost Cagua 5

I'll still be keeping my hard tail for various rides but this should be the main source of fun for the rest of summer

Just a google image whilst i wait for it to arrive.

http://www.ghost-bikes.com/bikes-2015/bike-detail/cagua-5/

mcs_20140119_MEC_Ghost_Cagua_6540_079_Mockup-640x427.jpg
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Wow, that's quite a serious piece of kit - just be careful not to break yourself as you'll find it much easier to carry speed over rough terrain and technical features.

John
  • Retrogamer
    I hear you John!

I'm 33 now as a lot more ware of my mortality than i was when i was doing the same thing at 18. I don't bounce as well as i used to when i hit the ground either anymore. Hopefully this will see me out the rest of my mountain biking days.
  • Johnmcl7
    It's a very capable and flexible bike, what's impressive these days is that you can have these fairly big travel bikes without the huge penalty in weight they used to incur, under 14kg for a 160mm full suspension bike with big brakes is pretty ridiculous.

John
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    I've no idea how you're getting such great batterylife as I've never got anything like that out of my Session, it barely manages much past the hour mark with wifi and anything else disabled. Even two hours is very short particularly when it can't have its battery changed.

That's why the Cycliq device is appealing as it wouldn't mean needing to recharge the camera all the time and would be usable on longer rides. The quality may not be as good but it's still going to be much better than a dead GoPro. I'm disappointed Garmin dropped the ball on their new Virbs as I liked a lot of the features of their older ones (UI, buttons, stability, batterylife, software etc.) but I suspect their new Gopro clones which threw away most of their advantages will be their last.

If there's any other models with decent runtimes and replaceable batteries I'd definitely be interested to take a look, I've kept an eye on the Sony's in case there's a chance of getting one cheap but no luck yet and I'm not sure on their odd mount design.

John

I've no idea why I'm getting two hours from my Session. This is a screenprint from my last upload of my two hour ride on Friday, and it had power left. I changed the filenames, but you can see that the total time recorded is 2 hours. Perhaps extended use will reduce that time by a bit. Also cold weather doesn't help.

tfUrMNTxqicVRXw7gAFqdGqLYTsHi6VinxHMS4X8w5FhnpC65UIusfDn6AUWg4T8vgggFot7I_hQD8NJLiUIr_IAU_Gje0pCU0foKPhXyP_S_dK0q0Y_YDZ7g_lIP57elJBiYkoDD_3faoJyl6BLrOL-7oIXpTZLT2J4RmNq2EujUQjdkB-q-a1IuIh-fHPisRbC20DFg19boN9uSWoGc9NSyjW13VoB4rsiDwLEiVNMUyBmSpdxXkhYs_SfkYzh9pUChOpUKPg7ZNwBtubogEpphrj3xgUeZq4MAQ6nhGc-Vi_0J1-yWs9tp4HTrONit-neEydjiEC5_SXnM72rIpTFRig55oWaKF5l1yoIcy-CWAZcyXsCINafdvgO4TXDKI_h7r2mSJ8Wwns3wzHcnP9pmZdKI1l-MMp57nIRiX4GAGIcgylSPZ1pq7UEVFpuJV7lvNfSScPVoD5fZ_KdNKxqN4JKN-uSV1_W3MPhntEo4WuGDCBeKVNpO437Ls8dKOdR2a4nhEKEXtoQFxYOiuXrsug0lbrsi8-kxwsKI58iKTh4xVp_kSKFWsmS9mZK_FFpRfhnb2ZGp5UrB7G1-O-Uq50Tf4TN=w942-h530-no

It's the right camera for me at the moment. When they produce something that gives decent quality video for 5 to 10 hours at the same size and weight as the GoPro, I'll buy that.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • Ed-P
    Ed-P Posts: 107 Forumite
    Tempted to go ride up on the South Downs outside of Brighton this weekend, hoping for a touch of rain - can't handle anything too hot in Lycra. Considering getting a CamelBak instead of water bottle, anyone else have any suggestions?
  • Johnmcl7
    I still use water bottles myself so no specific recommendations but if possible, I'd suggest going to look at the backpacks in person and seeing what one suits you as it's hard to gauge size and comfort looking at them online. I have a little Evoc backpack I use to carry my bits and pieces with me which looks rubbish on paper as it seems too small and stupidly overpriced. However it's been one of my favourite bike purchases, it's small enough it doesn't hang off my back like a normal backpack but I can pack a decent amount of things in.

John
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm loving this weather! I comfortably managed 40 miles yesterday (in two shifts) -- half off-road, half on little lanes (and a few minutes on a crazy four-lane roundabout in the city centre, but c'est la vie).

I've fitted my AirZound horn a week ago and it's ridiculously loud! I "detonated" it in the kitchen, on its loudest setting, and it hurt my ears. Even turned down to its quietest, it's almost as loud a car horn. I haven't had to use it yet (and hopefully won't for some time), but I feel safer knowing that I can quickly get a driver's attention if necessary.

In fact, the horn seems to be acting as some kind of sods-law insurance as I've noticed a lot less dangerous/unobservant driving in the past week! :T

The only problem is that it's hard to press the horn with my hands on the handlebars (which is where they'd be if I'm clinging on for dear life trying to miss a driver who hasn't seen me). And I've had to move my bell to the left side to make room, and with the remote control for the front shocks in the way, the bell isn't easy to ding either... :-/

Actually... I'm curious. I'll start another thread, but what mounts and stuff do you have on your handlebars?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70742875

Still, lovely weather, lovely rides... Fresh air, peace and quiet. Ain't bicycles great! :beer:
  • Retrogamer
    I still need to get my AirZound fitted but the same as yourself, even on the quietest setting i found it more than loud enough.

My new bike arrived on Tuesday but had to wait until Friday to get a chance to try it.

Chain Reaction Cycles were nice enough to throw in cheapo plastic peddles (better than none) a good quality pedal spanner, good quality multi tool, water bottle and some flavoured electrolyte powders for the water. I was well chuffed!

Had to borrow a friends suspension pump as the rear end was bottoming out on it's maiden voyage. Had to add in an extra 100psi to suit my weight.

It's worlds apart from my GT hard tail. Standing up cycling up hills is a no no as most of your torque is converted into compressing the suspension. The massive tyres have a lot more grips but a lot more weight to tow up the hills as well. A lot more drag when cycling on tarmac as well.

On the plus side cycling / jumping off larger things feels like nothing

13321824_10154095978307368_6844575513627127417_n.jpg?oh=cf886165c2004cbbef7446ce589c40ad&oe=57DBA804
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    I ....

Chain Reaction Cycles were nice enough to throw in cheapo plastic peddles (better than none) a good quality pedal spanner, good quality multi tool, water bottle and some flavoured electrolyte powders for the water. I was well chuffed!

Had to borrow a friends suspension pump as the rear end was bottoming out on it's maiden voyage. Had to add in an extra 100psi to suit my weight.

It's worlds apart from my GT hard tail. Standing up cycling up hills is a no no as most of your torque is converted into compressing the suspension. The massive tyres have a lot more grips but a lot more weight to tow up the hills as well. A lot more drag when cycling on tarmac as well.

On the plus side cycling / jumping off larger things feels like nothing

13321824_10154095978307368_6844575513627127417_n.jpg?oh=cf886165c2004cbbef7446ce589c40ad&oe=57DBA804

Nice, but I've no idea how you'll get those spare tyres on your rims.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure