Midlands and Oxford I would love your input thanks.

Options
melanzana
melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
Hi all,

I am flying from Ireland to Birmingham for four nights (Sutton Coldfield) to visit relatives for one of those nights.

We want to go to the surrounds that are interesting after that and maybe Oxford?

Can you tell us what is best please. We will not have a car as we are just there for four days, but want to make the most of your lovely country.

(The relatives will want us to stay with them for the few days, and that is very welcome, but they are elderly and not very well, so it is a case of get out of Dodge and then return!)

Comments

• Tuesday_Tenor
    Options
    Oxford is wonderful. Easy train ride from/to Birmingham International and is best explored on foot; no car needed.

However, it is a very expensive place to stay.
    What month are you going? Out of termtime it is possible to stay at some of the colleges for a reasonable rate (for Oxford).
    Or investigate AirB&B. Otherwise expect expensive accommodation of all types.

I will hunt out some previous threads about Oxford.
  • Tuesday_Tenor
    Tuesday_Tenor Posts: 998 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2016 at 10:57PM
    Options
    Here's one:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4379223&highlight=oxford+accommodation

Since the initial thoughts here about staying in university rooms, I have twice done so.

Sept 2015 stayed at ancient Christchurch College.
    Some feedback on this within this here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69543192&postcount=24

Jan 2016 stayed at Lady Margaret Hall. Not so ancient but interesting in being the first women's college. Bit further out, but still only 15 min walk into centre of town. Found great places to eat in the Jericho area: good value Greek and Chinese places. Much cheaper than centre of town.
  • Tuesday_Tenor
    edited 23 April 2016 at 11:53PM
    Options
    Other places to consider, on easy rail links from Birmingham:

Worcester: cathedral city, river walks
    Lichfield: very small cathedral city
    Coventry: ruined and modern cathedrals; great transport museum
    Great Malvern: spa town and Malvern Hills.
    Moreton in marsh - quintessential small market town

Needing bus connections, I think. Check out https://www.traveline.com for routes via public transport:
    Stratford-upon-avon: Shakespeare's birthplace; river ETA: on rail from Birmingham Moot St station
    Other Cotswold villages such as Burford.

Personally, I'd still put Oxford at top of list. Recently took overseas visitors. You'd already had some yen to go ... Enjoy!
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

Needing bus connections, I think. Check out https://www.traveline.com for routes via public transport:
    Stratford-upon-avon: Shakespeare's birthplace; river ETA: on rail from Birmingham Moot St station

Personally, I'd still put Oxford at top of list. Recently took overseas visitors. You'd already had some yen to go ... Enjoy!

Agree. I've been to all these places and Oxford would be at the top of my list.
  • melanzana
    Options
    Thank you all so much!

Oxford is now the place we have decided for days two and three and then back to Brum and home to Ireland!

We are going to be there early May, so I'd say the College accommodation is out given exams and what not. But not to worry, all we want is a room with a bathroom that is central, and I am sure we will find something.

I am so looking forward to it.

I had a look online (as you do) and the train links from Brum to Oxford look very easy. We have friends in Thame and will go to Thame/Haddenham to see them for an evening.

Have to say travel links in the UK are so easy ( may cost a few quid though, but what the heck). There is also a bus from Oxford to Birmingham with NE. Might look into that too.

I am so glad to see so many cheering for Oxford! I cannot wait to see it. Looking online it looks delightful.

Thank you everyone, and any other tips are more than welcome.
  • kremmen
    kremmen Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just returned from a couple of days in Oxford.
    There is a lot to see. Amongst my favourites are the covered market http://oxford-coveredmarket.co.uk/ and the pitt river museum https://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/
    Enjoy.

Paul
  • melanzana
    Options

Thank you.

England is such a fabulous place, it has kept its heritage so well. There is so much to see and do, we would need a month with you really!

I salute you and your conservation for keeping your lovely heritage alive and preserved. I look online often and am gobsmacked sometimes!

Lovely little villages, great towns with historical significance, all preserved so well.

I cannot wait to see a little part of it anyway. For Now!
  • Tuesday_Tenor
    edited 27 April 2016 at 11:23AM
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    Thank you all so much!
    Oxford is now the place we have decided for days two and three

2 days isn't going to be long for the range of things to do there, so you'll need to focus a bit. I've spent about 15 holiday days there in the last 4 years, tacked onto some work trips. And I STILL haven't really started on the wonderful museums as I have been blessed with good weather each time and have preferred to do things like going to tops of towers ( for a birds eye view of the wonderful roof architecture); walking along the river Thames to the Perch at Binsey for a cider hot toddy but back across Port Meadow to Jericho for lunch (as Perch meal prices are way outside even my generous 'normal holiday spending'); walking tour; open top bus tour; river trip; walking along river Cherwell to pub at Old Marston .....

Several of the really ancient colleges are open to the public, at a price. I think Christchurch is £12 which includes the cathedral. Tip: it is possible to get into a restricted part of the college for free, walking across the 16th century Christchurch quad to the cathedral, by attending the evensong service. I think 6.30 daily, except Thursday which is Eucharist. Or a Sunday service of course. Check times. USUALLY in the evening you can look round the cathedral a bit after the service (see St. Frideswide's shrine etc.). Though once we were ushered straight out due to another event about to start.

For your limited time there I WOULD recommend the open top bus tour. Yes it's a bit pricey, but it will orientate you, tell you a lot about the people who've studied there, and you'll see bits you might not otherwise pass in your walks. Where else would you hear Erasmus mentioned and Mr Bean (Rowan Atkinson) in the next sentence ...!

If you don't have time for a longer walk along the river, do at least walk down to the Thames riverbank near Christchurch to look back at the iconic skyline across Christchurch meadows as you walk back along the river Cherwell. You could power-walk this in 20 mins, but allow an hour for strolling, chatting, enjoying river activity from a bench, taking photos etc.

Do pop into the tourist office to find out what's going on. There are sometimes free lunchtime concerts in historic buildings like St. Michael's church (the one with the Anglo-Saxon tower; entrance charge for tower, but great views).

I like the Jericho area; Georgian and Victorian terraced houses built for workers at e.g. the iron foundry. Lots of cafes and cheaper restaurants than city centre. Not a priority to visit over the more ancient colleges, but if you like walking, nice to include in a walk to the Port Meadow area. Or you could 'hop off' from the bus tour to 'hop on' again later.

And if you're unlucky with the weather, there are always the museums ... Ashmolean, Pitt-Rivers, Natural History etc.

Have fun!
    melanzana wrote: »
    But not to worry, all we want is a room with a bathroom that is central, and I am sure we will find something.
    . Hmmmm ... I had a look on booking.com and it's all pretty pricey EXCEPT the cheapo places with poor reviews because they're above a noisy bar, or overlook the noisy smelly bus station .... So read carefully. You're right that there won't be MUCH uni accommodation in May, but I'd still have a look as if you CAN find somewhere it's likely to be fairly cheap, fairly central, quiet, pleasant and with 24 hour reception and security. But read details so you know whether ancient or modern, whether cenral or not, whether lift available, breakfast included etc, as all colleges differ.

Enjoy the trip!
  • Tuesday_Tenor
    Options
    It's 4 years since I did the open top bus tour so just had a look online.

Here's a good map of route.
    http://www.isango.com/ActivityLocationMaps/Oxford_2016.pdf

It's Walton St in Jericho that has the caf!s and restaurants. Parallel to Woodstock Road that the bus goes along. Expect not-cheap prices that Oxford residents pay, rather than the exorbitant prices aimed at Oxford tourists!

Few things gleaned from reviews
    - seems green buses have the live commentary from a guide; red buses have the recoding.
    - cheaper to pay on the bus. As you're going May not main holiday time, you don't need to pay extra online agency fee for ticket in advance.
  • Tuesday_Tenor
    Options
    It's 4 years since I did the open top bus tour so just had a look online.

Here's a good map of route.
    http://www.isango.com/ActivityLocationMaps/Oxford_2016.pdf

It's Walton St in Jericho that has the caf!s and restaurants. Parallel to Woodstock Road that the bus goes along. Expect not-cheap prices that Oxford residents pay, rather than the exorbitant prices aimed at Oxford tourists!

Few things gleaned from reviews
    - seems green buses have the live commentary from a guide; red buses have the recoding.
    - cheaper to pay on the bus. As you're going May not main holiday time, you don't need to pay extra online agency fee for ticket in advance.

Hmmmm .... Green route on maplink is a route that goes out of town. Don't THINK the reference to red and green buses links to red and green routes. Not sure. Check for yourself when there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure