Son/daughter going to uni in September 2012. What do we need to buy?

Comments

• Also, you may want to look at student software (last thing most parents think about). As a student they will be able to get MS Office and a few other packs at a discount (https://www.software4students.co.uk) the office comes with a key to use on 3 pc's.
    Most think halls are pretty safe and in the whole they are but laptops are stolen from halls on a regular basis. There are PC tracking software so should it be stolen as soon as the thief turns it on it takes a picture via webcam logs its location IP etc and emails the owner or designated email all the information. this kind of software costs around £50 and is worth it.
    Also, a spare hard drive is a good idea and an account with drop box so the student can back up data (dropbox provides 2.5gb free storage).
    as the student progresses on there course software like minitab, adobe photoshop and endnote might be required and as a student can be purchased at a discount.

good luck
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My uni days were before the advent of laptops, and even mobile phones weren't commonplace, but we were warned not to keep valuables. All sorts of things went missing. It's a good idea to safeguard things. I know someone who had everything valuable tied up in bike locks... A good idea.

The best thing I was given was a little kettle for my room, and a jar of tea, the type with milk powder already in. Would stop me going to the kitchen and getting distracted if I was supposed to be studying...

Also, tinned meals are great, but there is only so much storage, so regular top ups.

Lastly, I never got anything in the post from my parents. I was given a phone card to call them, but was jealous when all the other kids got sent little parcels. I remember having a little cry after my friend got sent a pack with some wine gums, a letter from mum and dad, and a photo.

I realise the digital age is different, with texts and mobile Internet, but I still think getting a handwritten by snail mail is wonderful!
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    BACKFRMTHEEDGE Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    edited 19 August 2012 at 9:45AM
    spadoosh wrote: »
    I love how deluded some parents are on here.

Key points.

Your child will be drunk a lot (especially in the first two weeks)
    Your child will spend money on alcohol

My kids hate the way "your" generation tries to portray all young people as drunks and drugies.

This generation is not quite the same as "yours".
    Teenagers in England are shunning drink and drugs for a cleaner lifestyle, say health officials.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18996139

Seriously, there is nothing like being brought up by a generation of alkies to put you off drinking.

Hope your liver is holding up.
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Savings For Kids 1st Jan 2019 £16,112
  • Anybody got any advice on looking after valuables?

• A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

• Anybody got any advice on looking after valuables?

as for laptops go for a kingston laptop lock.
    In regards other valuables I know it might sound anal but suitcase place them in it lock the case and place into the cupboard.

other than that not much else you can do. Chances are you can tell a child what to do, but unless you are there to police it, you have to leave them to it and class it as a life lesson about to be learned.
  • wendall wrote: »
    The one thing i regret is the tv license i made sure he had one and said we would pay for it, but he has said this week that he never watches tv, he uses the tv for his xbox and watches stuff on iplayer.

Thank you for this post. I think you have saved me a couple of hundred quid!!!! My son doesn't really watch any TV (he'll be more than happy with some DVDs that he can watch on his lap top) and I've just checked that he can watch BBC progs on i player legally without a TV licence.

Cheers!
  • In regards other valuables I know it might sound anal but suitcase place them in it lock the case and place into the cupboard.

Is this a common hiding place for laptops? It's just that this crossed my mind too - so it might be a bit obvious?

• Is this a common hiding place for laptops? It's just that this crossed my mind too - so it might be a bit obvious?
    I would put all other valuables in the case. The laptop I would secure using a kensington laptop lock. This lock connects to the chase of the laptop and then the cable is used to secure to a table etc.
    Have a look at kensington laptop locks:
    http://www.kensington.com/kensington/en/gb/p/1386/K64637WW/clicksafe%C2%AE-laptop-lock---keyed-different.aspx
  • AnnBar
    AnnBar Posts: 75 Forumite
    I would put all other valuables in the case. The laptop I would secure using a kensington laptop lock. This lock connects to the chase of the laptop and then the cable is used to secure to a table etc.
    Have a look at kensington laptop locks:
    http://www.kensington.com/kensington/en/gb/p/1386/K64637WW/clicksafe%C2%AE-laptop-lock---keyed-different.aspx

My son has a kensington lock for uni, but whether he uses it is a different matter!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure