Dowling stove anyone

Anybody got a Dowling stove multi fuel or woodburner.

We are thinking of getting one but wanted some reports of the stoves by actual users on here.

Have looked at what stove and the reports seem good.

Particularly interested in the controllability of them, ease of use, the doors are not fully airtight, is that correct/ So you have to use a damper in the flue to control them?

Paul.

Comments

• coppo
    coppo Posts: 9 Forumite
    Bump

Anyone with one?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 August 2015 at 9:50PM
    Have had a very quick trawl on t'internet.
    http://www.dowlingstoves.com/
    They look as if they were conceived by a bloke with a degree in heavy engineering who should have gone into partnership with a designer....

...but didn't!

I'm sure they do the business and it's nice to buy British, but there are Scandinavians and others out there who have had ideas too, and coupled those to attractive design.

Edit: Having gone through the web site in much more detail, the MSE side of me likes the idea of a stove with high durability and few parts which will ever need replacement, but the aesthetics still bother me. They're unique and derived from sound engineering principles, no doubt, but I still couldn't see one in my living room.

Thank you for bringing them to our attention. I hope someone who has one spots this thread and responds.
  • coppo
    Yes I agree Dave, they look pure class from an engineering point of view.

Its not so much the looks, I actually think they look cool. Its the efficiency, airwash, controllability etc that concerns me.

No parts to continually replace and there are some great reviews though. I have been googling today.

Worth another look.

Paul.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it's plain people have appreciated their looks & approach by giving the company business.

I think the perils of owning a more conventional stove may be somewhat overstated, however. I've run quite an old wood burner over the cooler 6 months for 6 years and it's had only one new fire brick, one door rope replaced and the glass re-set in the door, all at a total cost of about £25.
  • coppo
    Yes thanks Dave.

8mm steel all round and 25mm for the fire grate. That's why some sing their praises.

Cheap prices too, less than half the price of a clearview for 10kw of heating, as opposed to 7kw for the clearview.

Worth a try I,m thinking.

Paul.
  • have never seen one in use, they seem well made in terms of materials used but any stove that needs a flue damper to control them is poorly designed/built the air controls should be enough not needing to strangle the outlet, its a bit like trying to control the speed of a car by blocking of the exhaust pipe.
  • The design is rather industrial but at least they've got their certification visible on the site.
  • coppo
    have never seen one in use, they seem well made in terms of materials used but any stove that needs a flue damper to control them is poorly designed/built the air controls should be enough not needing to strangle the outlet, its a bit like trying to control the speed of a car by blocking of the exhaust pipe.

Yes I think they have to have a damper because the glass on the door is held about 1mm from the door face which means they are not as airtight as other stoves.

Loads of people sing their praises though which is the reason I have just ordered an Anvil. Brilliantly made, last forever,no parts to replace, cheap, worth a bash compared to the price of Clearviews etc.

Will report back when fitted.

Paul.
  • andy1886
    andy1886 Posts: 256
    Mortgage-free Glee! First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I am interested in getting one . I have sent somebody up to where they are made to fetch some information on them back . Really like the fact they are so different to the usual stoves . The models we are looking at are the Sumo or the Aztec double sided maybe with a boiler but the extra pipework may look nasty in a double sided fireplace . The first problem though is finding somebody in Yorkshire who could fit one and knock my fireplace through followed by how to heat the upstairs .
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,061
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    They look like something off the set of Blakes7
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts