Bees/Wasps how to get rid! (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    We had one in the shed which I covered with a bread bag and drawing pinned the bag all round. We've also used raid on other occassions with good results.This year we have one in the kitchen roof which OH sprayed with raid,whilst dressed in his motor cycle helmet,leathers ,boots and gloves.He couldnt see the entrance at all but there do seem to be far less of them so I think they are dying off.
  • leehal
    leehal Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    I had the council out today and they sprayed poison into a nest that is inside the vent to my utility room.

He said to wait 10 days, check for activity and then scrape out the dead nest.

Anyone ever done this, do not like the sound of it !
  • parahandy
    parahandy Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bumping an old thread...

Was in the garden today and after cutting the grass, put the cuttings into our compost bin - which admittedly we don't empty - and heard a horrible buzzing noise when I removed the lid. It went away after a few secs, then when I dumped the cuttings on it came back again.

Don't know whether it's bees or wasps, but the neighbour said as it's away from the house it shouldn't be a problem, but I don't want my 5 yr old daughter investigating...

Allan
    Everybody dies, but not everyone truly lives
  • hearts
    hearts Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    Options
    I have a Bees nest in the attic I was just going to leave them but seemingly if you do this they make loads of honey ans ALWAYS return. Sadly I went out today and bought the Ant powder to put up. My problem is its up in the eaves so I have to puff it up the way. Hope it works ;-)
    I have also bought Wasp nest destroyer foam but don't know if this will work with Bees. By the way they are Honey Bees not Bumbles.
  • Millie's_Mum
    Millie's_Mum Posts: 1,199 Forumite
    Options
    I thought there was some law/bylaw which said you couldn't kill honey bees?

I remember someone I used to work with having an infestation of honey bees and he contacted a local beekeeper who came and removed them.

As i say I don't really know much about it just some vague recollection about honey bees being protected in some way

EDIT - I'm in Leeds and just looked up the Leeds beekeepers Association who say that they will come and collect honey bees from your property if you cover the cost of their fuel, is there a beekeepers association in your area?
    MFW Start Sep 07 £79484, Now £58774
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Honey bees are getting scarce. Without honey bees to pollinate all our crops, the human race wouldn't survive.

They have swarmed - i.e. a new queen has set up a new group and has taken her followers with her. Please don't attempt to kill them!

Phone the local beekeeping society - see Yellow Pages.

Why does the reaction always have to be: kill it, kill it! Whatever it is.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Snowstorm_2
    Options
    Local beekeepers will come and collect bee colonies where it is possible (ie not in cavity walls were there is no access), but please make sure it is bees before you call, as its quite frustrating to be told its bees and get to someones home to find wasps.

If you think you may have bats in your house you will need to be careful as to what powders are applied. Some insecticides are fine, others are highly toxic to bats. If you think you may have bats, it would be best to contact The Bat Conservation Trust, www.bats.org.uk or 0845 1300 228 for free advice or your local office of Natural England, CCW or SNH.

Bats can live for up to 30 years, only have one young a year, have suffered serious decline over the last 100 years and are a vital part of a healthy ecosystem. The most common bat, a pipistrelle can eat 3000 midges in a night, over a year thats a lot of biting insects removed from your garden !
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    hearts wrote: »
    I have a Bees nest in the attic I was just going to leave them but seemingly if you do this they make loads of honey ans ALWAYS return. Sadly I went out today and bought the Ant powder to put up. My problem is its up in the eaves so I have to puff it up the way. Hope it works ;-)
    I have also bought Wasp nest destroyer foam but don't know if this will work with Bees. By the way they are Honey Bees not Bumbles.

Even if you kill them, you've still got a nest full of honey and decomposing dead bees. You will now run the risk of wasps getting in to rob the honey and/or wax moths - either of which are likely to damage the nest and result in honey leaking out.

There was no need to kill the bees, particularly as killing them has not ridded you of the problem you feared (honey leaking from the nest). You should simply have called out a local beekeeper to remove the nest, honey & bees.

You'll need to remove the nest now.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    If you haven't done it yet, please don't do it!! You'd be contributing to an ongoing environmental disaster...
  • M0neysav3r
    M0neysav3r Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Yesterday we noticed we had 11 wasps in the lounge but had had the door open all day so thought that they may have flown in.....
    Today i'm sitting eating my lunch and a wasp appears infront of me, the only place it could have come from is the chimney as it didn't fly past me. Up I got to have a look and there was another wasp trapped insdie our wood burning stove (hasn't been open for some time) this morning i'd already cleared 8 dead wasps away.
    SO we obviosly have a wasp problem up the chimney, how do we deal with this cost effectively, we're not ones for calling in the experts without having a go ourselves, any ideas?
    :j No Debts (Other than HUGE mortgage! :eek: )
    Generally trying to cut back where possible :j
    GC - March £143.82 / £200 Feb £156.03 / £150 Oops! Jan £180.78/£200:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family