The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Need not Want.

365days
365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
edited 12 February 2013 at 4:12PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hello,

It seems to me that if I could just keep to buying what I need rather than what I want I would have my finances and debts well and truly under control. So I am sat here asking myself what I NEED and actually it isn't a lot. I don't actually need to buy anything before 2013.

I will need petrol and I do need to pay my car insurance.(Need car for work) I will need food but am determined to buy only what I actually need. Maybe people would like to add what they actually need for the next few days/weeks etc and it may help others to work out the difference between their wants and needs. Therefore being ultra :money:

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• weeble3
    weeble3 Posts: 51
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 29 December 2012 at 6:06PM
    i Dont actually need anything...oh maybe a curtain rail and some curtains for my daughters bedroom and electric blankets before next winter....may need new fencing at back of house but can wait got a hole in but not falling down.
    I have got all these debts though to pay:

capital one £1000
    bank loan £1000
    bank loan £2900
    barclaycard £2700
    so more than enough to pay off.

I also start a new job which is quite a long way away term time only so unsure how much the childcare/wages are going to be over term

hoping to get the capital one paid off first/then bank loanthen work on barclaycard.

I also have started putting away some money for christmas next year as borrowed £1000 to see me through xmas this year. Hoping to save more and spend less. Which is new for me.
  • Buffett
    Buffett Posts: 88 Forumite
    Hi 365days, I've been asking myself the same questions a lot recently. Do I NEED the Sky Movies package? Can I reduce the number of bank & card accounts I have? Do I need to upgrade my smartphone every 2 years - how much would I save on a tariff if I didn't? What stuff do I have that I never use and could sell or give to charity? Should I downsize the car to get one cheaper to insure and run (also saving on depreciation)?

It is so sad that we have to get ourselves into trouble before we start asking these questions ...
  • 365days
    Do you not have any curtains at the moment? You can rig up a cheap 'curtain' with a bit of dowling and a cheapy fleece blanket.

Not sure about making your own electric blankets though
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • 365days
    Buffett wrote: »
    Hi 365days, I've been asking myself the same questions a lot recently. Do I NEED the Sky Movies package? Can I reduce the number of bank & card accounts I have? Do I need to upgrade my smartphone every 2 years - how much would I save on a tariff if I didn't? What stuff do I have that I never use and could sell or give to charity? Should I downsize the car to get one cheaper to insure and run (also saving on depreciation)?

It is so sad that we have to get ourselves into trouble before we start asking these questions ...

I agree, when it boils down to it we actually need very little. I am reading abook at the moment about post war Britain. It is amazing just how consumerism/marketing etc has got us by the throat. So if i may say - no you don't need sky, or a super dupe phone, or a bigger car. It really is a want. I am going to only buy what I need this year (2013)and see how well I do.

So my first 'I didn't buy it because I only wanted it didn't need it' was today, when I put back a tablecloth in the sales. £6 of WANT saved.
  • jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I would rather not have the need for direct debits, However we are kind of forced to have them or pay more. It really depends on what the needs are like wise for the wants. I.e i want gas and electric to keep warm and bright but i don't need dd's however i won't be forced to pay more.
  • weeble3
    Forumite
    365days wrote: »
    Do you not have any curtains at the moment? You can rig up a cheap 'curtain' with a bit of dowling and a cheapy fleece blanket.

just blinds , just one room without a curtain rail and curtain.
  • weeble3
    Forumite
    I agree, when it boils down to it we actually need very little. I am reading abook at the moment about post war Britain. It is amazing just how consumerism/marketing etc has got us by the throat. So if i may say - no you don't need sky, or a super dupe phone, or a bigger car. It really is a want. I am going to only buy what I need this year (2013)and see how well I do.

So my first 'I didn't buy it because I only wanted it didn't need it' was today, when I put back a tablecloth in the sales. £6 of WANT saved.

whats the book called you are reading could do with getting back to basics as sure its getting tougher to survive. I am joining you on the need not wants 2013.
  • I'm on a strict need not want thing for 2013 .... need to get rid of the pesky OD :o and there's not a lot of wiggle room in the budget so will have to be done by spending less!

I'm trying not to impulse buy :o I do a lot of shopping online (long way to shops so fuel is often much more than delivery costs) - so if I find something, I'm not going to buy it that day ... it has to wait until the next day and if I still [STRIKE]want [/STRIKE];) need it and it's still there ... it's meant to be!:D
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 29 December 2012 at 8:46PM

You can also make your own curtains. There are hundreds of 'how to's on the internet and it isnt rocket science. A general rule of thumb is 2.5 times the width and 0.5 times the height of the window. Depending on the material you want, you could pay as little ast £2.50 per meter and run them up yourself. Dont forget to line them with heavy cotton for the best insulation in winter.

Cheap, beautiful and totally bespoke.

BTW, I got this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forgotten-Skills-Cooking-time-honoured-recipes/dp/1856267881/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356813869&sr=8-1) as a Christmas present this year and all I can say...get one...right now. I've always wanted to try making my own prosciuto, but had no idea how. This is the book for 2013 and making do without buying.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Wobblydeb
    Wobblydeb Posts: 1,046
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Maybe people would like to add what they actually need for the next few days/weeks etc and it may help others to work out the difference between their wants and needs. Therefore being ultra :money:
    Hmmmmmm interesting one, because I've got a few "needs" at the moment, that strictly speaking are "wants".

- New wellies (the last pair died - realistically I could continue using my walking boots for dog walking)

- New winter coat (the current one has clicks and a torn lining - realistically I could repair it and keep going)

- New suit and shirts for work (I'm going through a wardrobe rethink, and have just donated a couple of suits! tsk tsk)

:) But at least I'll get them from an outlet at a heavy discount.
    I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure