"Stealing" out of rubbish bins/skips

Comments

• laurenjs88
    laurenjs88 Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    I put my DD!'s high chair out with the rubbish when we moved into our new house and it was gone by the time id gone in and got the next set of bin bags! I'm glad someone took it & hope they got good use from it, but it would of been nice if they had knocked and asked!
    Had my amazing little girlie 08/12/2007 - 11 days late! 9lbs 3oz
    My second little girl entered the world 20/03/2010 - 11 days late! 8lbs 4oz
    Sea
    led pot challenge 4 - 332
    Make £11k in 2011 £0/£11000 - 0%
    And lots of other challenges!
  • Mel1979a
    Mel1979a Posts: 311 Forumite
    I agree - We are rtenovating ourr house at the moment! Its costing us an absolute fortune in skips. Id be really pleased of some random came along and emptied it for us for free!! lol
    ''Aim for the moon, because if you miss you will still land amongst the stars''
  • The tip is not the same as a skip! Skips at the tip are usually full of recycling items that the council sell on.

Being charged and being found guilty are two different things.

Here it is in brief
    If you take stuff to the skip, at the point that the items are put in the bin or touch the floor or on site (depending on each individual council) the items then become the property of the tip. Most tips are subcontracted out so they are run by a self employed or limited companies who run it to local council specifications but are responsible for day running of said tip. (almost like a franchise)
    You can give stuff from one car to another outside of tip but not inside of tip, unless items do not touch ground or do not get handled by a staff member. This is the general over view of the legalities but is open to being slightly changeable depending on where you live.
    If things are put on a skip on a drive, you theoretically cannot touch them as the drive is private property
    if the skip is on the side of the road then it is presumed the owner of said items has willingly released all claims upon them and they are free to whomever wishes to take them
    Incidently with regard to youngsters taking stuff like bike bits from the tip without permission that is technically theft.
    Theft is in a nutshell, defined as taking things without permission, knowledge or consent that a person has not chosen to get rid of deliberately...
  • *Chattie* wrote: »
    what annoys me more are the people who come along and dump there rubbish in the skip that I have paid for :(

Money saving at it's finest for the person doing it :p
  • Stryder
    Stryder Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    *Chattie* wrote: »
    what annoys me more are the people who come along and dump there rubbish in the skip that I have paid for :(

you have paid money for a skip to fill up

Others have helped you fill it up, saving you some of the trouble

I think you should be grateful
    ............... Have you ever wondered what
    ¦OO¬¬ O[]¦ Martin would look like
    ¦ _______ ¦ In a washing machine
    ¦ ((:money:)) ¦
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦''''''''''''""""""¦
  • I would always ask if the Skip is on someones property out of politeness, i would personally hate to see someone come onto my property and take anything from a skip without at least asking me but if its on the roadside or outside someones property boundary i would say it was Okay to just take.

Debbie
    We love what we are doing and we love why we're doing it!!
  • malkyh
    malkyh Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    The more they take, the more I can put in. I say help themselves, if I don't want it, and someone else could benefit then fair play.

Years ago my father dumped years worth of What Hi-Fi magazines in the skip. I watched a bloke on a bile take armfuls of them up the road, so much he had to push his bike as he could not cycle. He came back about three times lol.
  • I am concerned about the vans that tour the streets and take stuff out of skips for a living. What do they do with anything they find they do not want? Do they (a) put it back in the skip the next day, or (b) dispose of it legally (as trade waste which which will cost them at the local dump) or (c) do they flytip illegally it for free? They could also take things in front gardens (not in skips) which are not meant to be taken under the guise of their van being accepted to be on the streets. This is where lack of control can take us and why all such carriers are required to have a licence and have their vehicle registered with the Environment Agency, but do they? We have laws against such illegal activity (which is there to minimise waste, or make people pay to dump waste) but it is so difficult to enforce them.
  • gordonoga wrote: »
    I am concerned about the vans that tour the streets and take stuff out of skips for a living. What do they do with anything they find they do not want? Do they (a) put it back in the skip the next day, or (b) dispose of it legally (as trade waste which which will cost them at the local dump) or (c) do they flytip illegally it for free? They could also take things in front gardens (not in skips) which are not meant to be taken under the guise of their van being accepted to be on the streets. This is where lack of control can take us and why all such carriers are required to have a licence and have their vehicle registered with the Environment Agency, but do they? We have laws against such illegal activity (which is there to minimise waste, or make people pay to dump waste) but it is so difficult to enforce them.

The people in these vans are looking for scrap.

Also, the waste in the skips belong to the hirer until the skip is lifted by the skip company then the waste becomes the responsibility of the company to dispose/recycle as required.

P.S I own a Skip Company
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    we are looking for old bricks at the moment but there is no way we would not knock on the door and ask permission before we took any out of someones skip
    maybe i was brought up in a world where politeness made the man?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure