HGV/LGV Funded Training

Hi guys, im in need of alot of help atm finding and exploring different avenues for HGV/LGV training

I am currently unemployed in receipt of JSA with my stage 3 review in a week or so (28/01)

I have been in touch with the JC but after 3 days of phone calls to them the answers i have received are vague at best, the only definitive answer i got was " You'll have to speak to your stage 3 advisor he will know more/better"

Unfortuneatly as i only passed my test in 2005 I do require the Full courses available by which i mean theory (all 3 parts) C practical and C+E practical

Those of you have taken these test will know the costs involved (circa £2000 all in)

I have spoken to a friend of mine who works for the JC and they say they do have providers in place for such training however people i have spoken to at my JC say oposite.

Another friend of mine has just completed his ADR course (Around £500) funded for by th JC however the JC have told me the upper limit on funding is only £300?? :confused:

At the time he did his course there was a guy there who claimed that my locall JC had put him through his C license and his ADR at th same time which would cost around £1500 iirc so im not quite grasping the concept that the upper limit of funding is £300?

My questions are...

Firstly, are the JC trying to discourage me going for this course? i understand it is expensive but wouldnt i be better use to them if i was working and paying my tax and thus topping up the social fund pot?

What other channels/avenues are there available to me regards funding? I dont think a CDL (Career Development Loan) is an option as my credit rating is shot to sh*t due to me losing my job when the recession hit! Also, does anyone know of any HGV/LGV training providers who have scurd funding from the ESF

I have been in touch with a place called Next Step Careers Advice, who are arranging an interview/meeting with them regards funding for this course, has anyone had dealings with them or know if they are any good at securing funding/training?

I dont know if this info will help but i am 24 years old full UK Pass-Plus license (Car) on JSA for longer than 6 months (ive been informed more "options" are open to me once iv been on JSA for 6 months)

At this point i havent had my review yet with the JC but i want to b armed with as much information as possible and obviously other channels to explore should the JC Decline funding for me

Any help whatsoever is gratly appreciated guys and sorry for the long winded post LOL!:rotfl:

Comments

• farmerboy
    farmerboy Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They probably are trying to put you off because of the ammout of expierienced LGV drivers claiming JC at the minute.

As well as the theory and practical you will also need to complete the driver CPC, not sure what this entails for new drivers but its another cost.

Have you done any research into the jobs available in your area? And I don't mean the ones advertised by agencies. You have nearly passed one of the hurdles that employers put down, being over 25, but you'll still need 2 yrs experience before most employers will look at you.

If you do manage to get funding, please seek out an independant driving school, DONOT go through firms like Qualitas/Stearling, or you'll be back on here belly aching that you've lost your money. Also IME any which say a guarenteed job at the end are lying.
  • CB1985
    CB1985 Posts: 35 Forumite
    thanks farmerboy, yes i am aware of the 25 years old/2 years exp however i have no problem temping for agencies even doin multidrop until such period has passed (can only do utpo 3.5t on car license so 7.5t M/D i need my C)

the way i see it, is atm, on JSA i get £50/week i can earn that in one shift temping

I have a few friends who are HGV drivers and a few contacts in the industry so as regards finding work i would say i have a little edge over others and i used to drive cars/vans for a living a few year ago so have a few contacts at haulage firms etc from delivering mercs to thier MD's

And i know about the CPC i forgot about that bit AFAIK this is what i need to do..

LGV Theory test (3 parts - Multiple choice questions, Hazard Perception & Case Study)
    Medical Examination
    C Practical
    C + E Practical
    CPC Competancy test
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    You don't get it do you

Friends or not there is no shortage of experienced drivers on the dole. Why would someone want to pay you to join them or employ you over experienced staff who know what their doing and dont have training expenses etc.

The JC want to help you but they also need to be realistic.
  • CB1985
    Which is one of the reasons im NOT approaching companies who provide training FOC with a term contract after passing, why would someone want to train me then pay me! i agree with that part, but im one of the few (in my area atleast anyway) that is activley seeking work (to no avail i might add) and retrain for a new career, this is something ive always been interested in doing,

and no offence anihilator, but i came here looking for help to find funding/training to do this course and follow a new career and get off JSA and back into work, not to be told theres no work in the sector (which there is quite a bit in my area incidently) and basically not to bother
  • Widelats
    Widelats Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Yes, there is HGV available, the jobcentre do know about it, i went for it too and they told me i had to have a normal driving licence for 2 years before i went on to any HGV.

There is/was a lot of mountain road truck drivers jobs in Alaska they were advertising in the jobcentre, but you had to have mountain road experience and willing to work in sub zero conditions, i was thinking the ice road truckers might be advertising these jobs, as it is in the same state and the same kind of work.
    Owed out = lots. :cool:
  • Anihilator
    CB1985 wrote: »
    Which is one of the reasons im NOT approaching companies who provide training FOC with a term contract after passing, why would someone want to train me then pay me! i agree with that part, but im one of the few (in my area atleast anyway) that is activley seeking work (to no avail i might add) and retrain for a new career, this is something ive always been interested in doing,

and no offence anihilator, but i came here looking for help to find funding/training to do this course and follow a new career and get off JSA and back into work, not to be told theres no work in the sector (which there is quite a bit in my area incidently) and basically not to bother

The truth hearts

Heres a suggestion. Get a job rather than embark on some other expensive fantasy at the taxpayers expense only to discover down the line there isnt the work you want and to !!!!!! off back on the dole at our expense.

You claim it isnt the case but it is. The whole HGV licence stuff is as big a scam as the driving colleges.

You wont be unindated with work and you wont be well off.

Find a nice easy office/shop job and work now. Dont waste time spending our money on training to end up in the same situation down the line.

You can claim whatever you want but its a fantasy and thankfully the JC seem to realise this and wont throw a few thousand at you to waste to avoid working.
  • Widelats
    Widelats Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Anihilator wrote: »
    The truth hearts

Heres a suggestion. Get a job rather than embark on some other expensive fantasy at the taxpayers expense only to discover down the line there isnt the work you want and to !!!!!! off back on the dole at our expense.

You claim it isnt the case but it is. The whole HGV licence stuff is as big a scam as the driving colleges.

You wont be unindated with work and you wont be well off.

Find a nice easy office/shop job and work now. Dont waste time spending our money on training to end up in the same situation down the line.

You can claim whatever you want but its a fantasy and thankfully the JC seem to realise this and wont throw a few thousand at you to waste to avoid working.

Driving trucks isnt a fantasy, working on the moon is. The JC do provide training, if you have relevant experience.
    Owed out = lots. :cool:
  • CB1985
    I Love It! out of the millions of people in this country who abuse our benefit system and have no intentions of working you choose to lay your "stop wasting my tax money" attack on me! Being one of the minority on benefits that wants to activley retrain and seek work, what about when your out of work and im paying tax? any chance i can come give you a verbal bashing and tell YOU what to do?.... thought not! If you dont have anything helpful-constructive to say towards me or the situation dont bother, hav your opionion by all means but DO NOT tell me what to do with my life!
  • Anihilator
    Widelats wrote: »
    Driving trucks isnt a fantasy, working on the moon is. The JC do provide training, if you have relevant experience.

So you dont think expecting the JC to pay £2000/3000 to train him to become something which there are hundreds of on the dole is a bit unrealistic.

Maybe the JC will just keep to putting those who already have the qualifications and experience and no jobs forward rather than wasting money to keep someone else out of a proper job for a bit longer.

OP - why dont you just try harder to get a job that actually exists and doesnt need thousands of retraining hmmmm.
  • CB1985
    great idea why didnt i think of that, oh wait yeah i did! its so easy for those in a job to say go get one...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure