MSE News: Card protection firm CPP must pay £14.5m to mis-selling victims

Options

Comments

• harty999
    Options
    Have since contacted the number barclay gave me. It was straight back to CPP. Again they are saying it was sold by Morgan Stanley.
    Is it best i wait a few weeks until its all ironed out?
    I am sensing another barclay card run around like i have had with PPI claims
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's no urgent hurry unless you have a dire need for the money. Just leave it a little while and let the FSA, CPP, banks and MSE sort out how to make it nice and easy to do.
  • ticketcollector
    Options
    I had a CPP plan in the early 90s I do remember thinking that when they pushed up the price to £65 and then £70, cancelling it. It must have been around 2006/7 when I cancelled.

I do remember the auto renew function happening and also remember them using another card to pay the fees, this resulted in that card going over the limit and more fees. But I got the bank fees back.

I have just phoned them up and the guy read out from another script telling me to wait for the letter that is being sent out to all customers new and old (breach of DPA holding details for more then is needed?) as CPP is still deciding how to compensate customers.

I am getting worried that the limitation act will apply on this and I will get sweet FA back.
    Ex-Employee of a Train Operating Company.
    Ticket routing and rules expert.
    Been Penalty Fared on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you win your appeal.
    Been sent a summons on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you.
  • GlennTheBaker
    Options
    Gra76 wrote: »
    I've been paying £35+ a year to CPP for as long as I can remember but I'm pretty sure it was sold to me via Natwest. We'll see what happens. I'm not holding my breath for any refund.

Edit - just checked my online statements which go back to 2005 and I was paying it then, so it's been at least 7 years....
    It took you 7 years to come to the conclusion that you were mis-sold the policy and it just happens to coincide with the FSA ruling?
    This space has been intentionally left blank
  • Guesthouse
    Options
    I've had a CPP policy for ages - just for the basic lost cards/documents service.
    There is, unfortunately, a chance I'll misplace/lose or have stolen my wallet/keys while I'm at work or in town. While at work, I've misplaced my wallet & keys on several occasions - but thankfully been able to retrieve them.
    Since it also covers my partner & child's cards/documents as well - and my child can lose her house keys on her bedroom floor and as a trendy teenager shuns anything as useful as pockets or a handbag for keeping purses in - it's possibly worthwhile for the "one phonecall cancels the lot" feature.
    Was I mis-sold? Probably not - I wanted protection against the presented eventualities.
    Is it worth it? At 4am on a tuesday morning in one of the less presentable areas of town, quite possibly yes.
  • maxwell11
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    LOL.

You were mis-sold a service you wanted? A service you will look for elsewhere when they pay "back what they owe?"

Do they owe you anything? You wanted a service and they provide you with it (for a fee). Isn't that how life generally works?

Snow Tiger, Im not quite that simple,i would just like to know of another company perhaps with a better record of ethics that provides the same service.
  • ozlem
    ozlem Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. I took CPP many years ago and paid for 3 years in order to get discounted membership. While I was caring for my ill dad abroad, they renewed my policy without my approval for another 3 years. I called them when I returned but they would only agree to cancel my policy for year 2 and 3 only! I made it clear at the time that I did not wish to carry on with this policy.
    The same year I lost my dad (in 2009) I move to Turkey where my mum lives and cancelled some of my credit cards including the one I paid CPP policy with.
    I then returned to UK in 2011 and called CPP. The person who took my call was very rude and advised that the policy was renewed yet again! He said the system renews it automatically if I don't call on the renewal day. I told him that I lived abroad from 2009 to 2011 hence this policy was no good for me. Besides I did not live at the address they had.
    He also mentioned that the payment was taken from the the same card as last one eventhough I cancelled that card before I left the country. He said this often happens.
    He was not co-operative at all. He said if I don't call next time the policy is due for renewal same thing will occur.
    I was so frustrated that I complained to FSA. I am glad FSA (!) is now doing something about it. But I think FSA should also look into CPP's renewal system (I hope).
    Eventhough I am so not looking forward to contacting CPP again as I hate this type companies, I think it's now time to ask them for some compensation.
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maxwell11 wrote: »
    Snow Tiger, Im not quite that simple,i would just like to know of another company perhaps with a better record of ethics that provides the same service.
    Sentinel is the other big company. I have no particular comment on their ethics:

http://www.sentinelgold.co.uk/
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • saras_2
    Options
    ozlem wrote: »
    But I think FSA should also look into CPP's renewal system (I hope).
    Eventhough I am so not looking forward to contacting CPP again as I hate this type companies, I think it's now time to ask them for some compensation.

Hi Ozlem - the good news for you is that part of the FSA enforcement action is about the renewal. It sets out that they found CPP renewed policies by using other card details unfairly and also renewing polices on addresses they knew customers had moved away from.

It will take time for CPP to contact customers but they will have to write to people affected and offer a refund of premiums. According to the papers it should be some time in the new year before letters start being sent out.
  • SD100
    Options
    Hi

Just seen this article and I had a policy with CPP from 2008-2011 which I feel I was mis-sold. The actual policy was called Egg Emergency Cover and it was sold to me when I took out my Egg Credit Card.

I have seen other responses on here from people who have been told to contact the provider who sold it to them, however after looking at CPP's website Egg Emergency Cover are listed as a "brand and trading name operated by Card Protection Plan Limited and Homecare Insurance Limited". Also my statement showed "CPP". Does this mean I have a case with CPP or will I have to contact Egg?

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport