Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion

Options

Comments

• Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ihateyes wrote: »
    does you area have scale/hard water problems.... still wont cover sludge though.

Yes it does. Decided not to bother, we have a good plumber who we can call and who would show up if there was a problem. We have a fund for emergencies so if that happens we will be able to get it sorted out. Wish we hadn't bothered with the insurance for the last few years now. We only did because in the first few years whilst it was still under guarantee we had a lot of call outs due to design faults and an engineer said to us don't let your cover lapse. That was a good few years ago now though so fingers crossed.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it does. Decided not to bother, we have a good plumber who we can call and who would show up if there was a problem. We have a fund for emergencies so if that happens we will be able to get it sorted out. Wish we hadn't bothered with the insurance for the last few years now. We only did because in the first few years whilst it was still under guarantee we had a lot of call outs due to design faults and an engineer said to us don't let your cover lapse. That was a good few years ago now though so fingers crossed.

as long as since then youve had no breakdowns.....
    a local might be cheaper, but a new pump and install will cost close to £200, so one fault.... and well the you could be worse off.
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
  • rksworld
    rksworld Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    mutley74 wrote: »
    just had the same letter, offer sounds good, shame i have cover through BG. But will call BG is they can offer a discount otherwise tempting to change to them at renewal.
    any chance you still got the letter? Was on their website looking to get the policy and they will only offer if you have promotional code within their letter!
  • ihateyes
    Options
    rksworld wrote: »
    any chance you still got the letter? Was on their website looking to get the policy and they will only offer if you have promotional code within their letter!

Corgi Homecare run by a company called GREEN INSTALLER... based in dunfermline. boiler must be under 5yrs old.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Well, British Gas have some neck... I cancelled my Homecare plan in April as I have a new boiler with 2 years free servicing.

They rang today inviting me to take it again, and told me they would service my boiler even though it was covered somewhere else!

Why in the name of whoever would I do that?! Added to which they cancelled three service appointments last winter with less than 24 hrs notice!
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • ihateyes
    Options
    Well, British Gas have some neck... I cancelled my Homecare plan in April as I have a new boiler with 2 years free servicing.

They rang today inviting me to take it again, and told me they would service my boiler even though it was covered somewhere else!

Why in the name of whoever would I do that?! Added to which they cancelled three service appointments last winter with less than 24 hrs notice!

so if your boiler brokedown in the winter, and they were coming to service my boiler?? (i lived round the corner) you were freezing wud u be chuffed????

breakdowns get priority over servicing.

as much as its a pain, it happens, and you will benefit some day
  • russbeer
    Options
    So currently, which is the best value cover for my boiler?

Its about 8-9 years old now, an Ariston Microcombi 23 MFFI

Many thanks!
    Russ
  • ihateyes
    Options
    russbeer wrote: »
    So currently, which is the best value cover for my boiler?

Its about 8-9 years old now, an Ariston Microcombi 23 MFFI

Many thanks!
    Russ

There are many companies offering protection.... i prefer companies that supply their own engrs as opposed to companies that solely use subbies
  • robcrack
    Options
    ***nPOWER Hometeam****. Annual service was due on 10th May 2011. Rang them mid May to be told it would be June sometime. Was given appointment for Fri 15th July but they rang at noon that day to say engineer had gone off sick; rebooked for today Fri 22nd. Rang at noon...his van has broken down!!!!!!!! Goodbye nPOWER. (they did return 50% no-callout fee as per policy after 1st 12 months) but God knows how long ot would take then to arrive if the boiler broke down. They've taken on too many customers to cope with I expect.
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thought I'd write a post to share my experience with BG Homecare 100 which is POSITIVE !!

Been with them 11 months for £11 a month boiler only cover.

Intermittent F1/F13 fault over weekend, called them Monday as the boiler did work some times.

Engineer booked for Wed am, turned up on time, quickly diagnosed main PCB fault, would need to order one, promised to get one and come back next day.

Thursday am he turned up as promised with PCB, fitted and done, fault now gone.

Engineer was smart/reliable and seemed knowledgeable.

All in all they delivered as expected and I'm well pleased. Other than i big price increase at renewal i will be staying with them.

So it seems BG can deliver a good service.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback