Setting up my own Mobile food van round

Good evening all,

My first ever post so please be kind. Hopefully its in the right section.

I have been thinking of starting up my own mobile sandwich/snack van round. You may recognise the types - small van with a silver box on the back and a real jazzy horn, Goes around industrial estates and offices selling sandwiches, sausage rolls, crisps, sweets etc etc.

I am not sure of how to go about it and in what order. I understand that i will need to buy one of these vehicles, get insurance (vehicle and public liability??) Some sort of cash and carry (how do i become a member) to get the stock etc etc.

What sort of money should i expect to pay for a clean van? Do i need to get permission to go to certain places?

Would anyone be kind enough to offer their valuable advice to me.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This company are good for the Insurance http://www.ncass.org.uk/

Check out this site, its business link and is run by the government so is totally free to you and is designed to help people set up businesses (They also have branches in most towns if you would rather see someone)
    http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/home?domain=www.businesslink.gov.uk&target=http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/
  • badmumof1
    badmumof1 Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    you will need a food hygiene certificate
    try http://www.allsafe.org.uk/ for this.
    Also you better do a check of who is on the industrial estate doing this kind of thing first because i know from my area they are very tough on people who trade on their patch
    If You See Someone Without A Smile......
    Give Them One Of Yours
  • Actually, you don't need a food hygiene certificate. This is a common myth propogated by many people, and it certainly isn't a requirement. It may be a requirement in certain areas to obtain a licence - but the general rule is that as long as you're willing to accept liability for your actions without such a certificate, then you can go ahead.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • nova
    nova Posts: 351 Forumite
    Actually l think you'll find you do need a food hygiene certificate, l support my dad who cares for adults with learning difficulties and l have to have one infact l've got one!!
    lt's ever such an easy course though, pretty much common sense really, but l did learn a couple of things like temperatures and things.
    As for not needing one l think your customers would prefer it if you did!!! Looks better for you doesnt it.
    Hope that clarifies things for you and lots of luck.
    Nova X
  • FH Certificate ...... I think - but admit I'm not sure - that most LAs require that you have an FH certificate for their licensing purposes. But it's not difficult to get - mostly common-food-sense - and doesn't take long.

However, I think your biggest issue is that the vehicle - or the part that contains the food - must be refrigerated.

Call Environmental Health and ask them to go over the basic requirements with you. They might even have a factsheet/info pack they can send out to you.

You need to research your market very, very well. Are there already established rounds serving the areas you're looking at? Are they close to an existing source either sandwich shop or supermarket? How are you going to set yourself apart? Quality? Variety? Price? Do the numbers still stack up if you go the Quality route i.e. will folk pay a bit more for a better sarnie?

I looked at doing something food related a few years ago and it's very difficult to make a decent living at the budget end of the range - very difficult!

When you do your business plan, don't forget to include all your vehicle costs in your overheads - that alone is going to be a bit of an eye-opener!
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Be aware of stepping on someone else's patch, at my last office 3 vans turned up at the same time, all claiming it was their patch which descended into an all mighty punch up and food fight.
  • I think too you need to check with local council for a licence as they may restrict the number of licences for each area
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure