Textbroker - Writing for money (not vouchers)

Comments

• Are you sure your paypal email address was correct? Mines just gone into my paypal account today.

I think it's because my email address is unconfirmed - but I can't get the email to send through so I can confirm it :( I'm presuming when my email is confirmed both payments will come through?
    £2023 in 2023 challenge - £17.79 January

• Hello there, I'm another Textbroker newbie. I used to write ad features for a living so was humbled when I was assessed as a 'just' a three star! Must be out of practise...

Signed up yesterday and am doing my first article now - question I have is about Americanisms - do we assume all the articles are in English and not American English? I'm writing about bouncing cheques/checks...
  • @AppleSue - I've noticed that *most* of my Textbroker jobs have had UK clients, so I guess you'd best stick to British English. If they want American they'll probably say so in the instructions.

I've just released my fifth job, so I'm stuck waiting for the assessment now. Hope they're quick, there've been some interesting articles so far.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone - Thoreau
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I signed up a few days ago to Textbroker - inspired by this thread so thanks for everyone's contributions.

I've just finished my 5th article and am now blocked as expected. Do I need to contact them to ask them to review my articles? It seemed to imply that in the message but I don't want to annoy them by chasing unnecessarily.

I was rated 3* too AppleSue and used to work as a technical author so am trying not to be annoyed by this. Hopefully once they've got more material to assess, our ratings might go up. It's difficult to enfuse some of the articles with much more than a basic text given the subject and word counts.

Anyhow I've quite enjoyed having random articles suddenly pop up, sure the novelty will wear off but at least I've earnt a few Euros in the meantime.
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    AppleSue wrote: »
    Hello there, I'm another Textbroker newbie. I used to write ad features for a living so was humbled when I was assessed as a 'just' a three star! Must be out of practise...

Signed up yesterday and am doing my first article now - question I have is about Americanisms - do we assume all the articles are in English and not American English? I'm writing about bouncing cheques/checks...

Definitely stick with UK English I think.
  • @AppleSue - I've noticed that *most* of my Textbroker jobs have had UK clients, so I guess you'd best stick to British English. If they want American they'll probably say so in the instructions.

I've just released my fifth job, so I'm stuck waiting for the assessment now. Hope they're quick, there've been some interesting articles so far.

Oooh cheers for the quick reply! How do you know your clients are English? Does it say somewhere? I thought it did, which is why I got the idea this one was American in my head, but I have no idea why I thought that...
  • cte1111 wrote: »
    I signed up a few days ago to Textbroker - inspired by this thread so thanks for everyone's contributions.

I've just finished my 5th article and am now blocked as expected. Do I need to contact them to ask them to review my articles? It seemed to imply that in the message but I don't want to annoy them by chasing unnecessarily.

I was rated 3* too AppleSue and used to work as a technical author so am trying not to be annoyed by this. Hopefully once they've got more material to assess, our ratings might go up. It's difficult to enfuse some of the articles with much more than a basic text given the subject and word counts.

Anyhow I've quite enjoyed having random articles suddenly pop up, sure the novelty will wear off but at least I've earnt a few Euros in the meantime.

CTE, it has cheered me up no end knowing I am not the only 'professional' writer whose true talent is not appreciated!! ;). I think I'd feel happier if the briefs were more detailed - am writing a straight piece about loans but could easily make it more friendly, more matey, or more professional if I knew what the client wanted. I used to knock this kind of stuff out every day, now I am agonising over every word!!

I also signed up to Textbroker soley because of the friendly and enthusiastic posts on this thread, so a big thankyou to everyone.
  • cte1111 wrote: »

It can take them a good while to get to your 5-article review. My account was on hold for at least 10 working days. You can email them but you tend to get the standard response back, 'We are receiving a large volume of work to review blah blah blah get to you as soon as possible.' It probably won't hurt, but I'm not convinced it sped mine up at all.
    1. Save money.
    2. Worry you haven't saved enough.
    3. ????
    4. Travel.
    £3,000/8,000ish.
  • AppleSue wrote: »
    Oooh cheers for the quick reply! How do you know your clients are English? Does it say somewhere? I thought it did, which is why I got the idea this one was American in my head, but I have no idea why I thought that...

Some of the clients give links to their website so you can get a feel for the 'house style' or to get factual information you need. In one case I even found the empty page where my copy was to go... sure enough, when it was accepted that page had my text on it (not TOO badly mangled by the in-house editor) :beer:

I've just had my latest article accepted, about half an hour from writing it. But two have been 'waiting' for a couple of days though, so I don't suppose my five-piece review will begin until all five are accepted (touch wood ;))
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone - Thoreau
  • Has anyone made an effort to find out where their text goes? I just started taking some of my text, sticking "s around it and having a Google. I'm a mixture of proud and embarrassed. It's nice to see your work on a blog with over a thousand subscribers (oh how I wish it were mine), but it's up on a blog with over a thousand subscribers next to the name of someone claiming to have written it. I know I consented to it but it still feels a little off. Also one of the pieces I wrote was a story in the first person about finding a good, cheap last minute deal away which is now being passed off as real. I think I may stick to informative assignments only now.
    1. Save money.
    2. Worry you haven't saved enough.
    3. ????
    4. Travel.
    £3,000/8,000ish.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts