Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Comments

• N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    The quote in my last post was straight from the monarch.caa.co.uk website, I cant link it as Im a new member. Its ridiculous.

Thankfully I have booked another holiday already although that is sat on a credit card awaiting the ATOL refund!

I am beginning to wonder if there isn't enough money to cover the repatriation flights and all the claims?

Get it in writing that ATOL are not paying out for your holiday and then go to the credit card. They don't use Section 75 and chargebacks lightly so it needs to be last resort and you'll need to prove that. When Low Cost went down they tried all sorts of stuff to avoid paying refunds. In the end they had to, but it took a few weeks as if they have a big liability they will be talking to the administrators. In the mean time they don't tell the front line staff anything so everyone gets a different answer. It'll all settle down in a week or two believe me.

Glad you've sorted another holiday, be patient with the refund, but it sounds like you will get one.
  • We live in Portugal and so my Monarch flights were paid for using a Portuguese Visa credit card.

Does Section 75 only apply in the UK, or is there some equivalent EU legislation?

Regards Trevor
  • I booked 'selected seats' 10 days after my original package holiday booking (both direct with Monarch) - will this extra cost also be refunded via the ATOL claim?
  • tierneyky wrote: »
    I booked 'selected seats' 10 days after my original package holiday booking (both direct with Monarch) - will this extra cost also be refunded via the ATOL claim?

You would have received another Atol certificate attached to your confirmation for your seats. That will tell you the overall cost that is protected.
  • We live in Portugal and so my Monarch flights were paid for using a Portuguese Visa credit card.

Does Section 75 only apply in the UK, or is there some equivalent EU legislation?

Regards Trevor

You need to check with your card provider or Google for Portugese legislation.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    In answer to some queries:

The CAA is repatriating people back to the UK. It does not offer residents of other countries the right to be repatriated back to their home country, so it won't be offering flights out of the UK to take people overseas.

'Section 75' claims refer to Section 75 of the consumer credit act, again UK only. So don't expect foreign issued credit cards to even know what a section 75 claim means.

'Chargeback' is another UK concept, other countries may or may not have similar schemes; but you can't rely on this.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • I have a package Holiday booked for end of October to Lanzarote with Monarch. I specifically used a credit card to book and pay but my issuer (Sainsbury's Bank) has pinged me back to ATOL/CAA to pursue claim with them. Surely being ATOL protected I shouldn't have to go to credit card company in the first place, but the virtual ping pong is stressful at an otherwise already stressful time. Seems like the CAA are trying to spread the impact to other organisations as it digs itself out of this huge hole caused by monarchs collapse.
    I can't speak to CAA until 14th October and all claim forms to affected customers debit card PayPal and any other payments other than credit cards will have theirs. Why should i feel penalised for using Credit Card?
  • I made a flight-only booking with Monarch and paid by Tesco Credit Card as the transaction was over £100, I phoned Tesco Bank where there was a pre-recorded message advising that anyone wishing to make a claim should send an email to disputes@tescobank.com attaching a copy of the invoice and booking details. My case will then be considered for a 'Chargeback'. However, I do not want to make a 'Chargeback' claim! I want to make a 'Section 75' claim.

I plan to send an email and just make it clear that i want my claim considered under Section 75 and if they are not willing to do this then to send me a 'letter of deadlock' and I will take my case to the FOS.

Am I missing something? Can anyone see any problem with this approach?
  • N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    We live in Portugal and so my Monarch flights were paid for using a Portuguese Visa credit card.

Regards Trevor

I think it is the UK Consumer Credit act that has Section 75 cover, no idea if there is an equivalent in Portugal.

However, chargeback is a Visa (and Mastercard) policy and applies to all cards using the logo so raising a chargeback should work. There is good article on teh main site and a letter template which you should send to the bank with copies of receipts, although you'd have to translate it into Portuguese.
  • leylandsunaddict
    leylandsunaddict Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 October 2017 at 4:53PM
    Tesco Credit card ask you to contact ATOL- But HOW?

Hi we have a package booked with Monarch Holidays paid using our Tesco Credit card . Tesco have asked me to contact ATOL and get a response from them but the ATOL website categorically says that you have to contact TESCO.

Seems I am going round and round in circles.

Should I just fill in the Section 75 claim letter and try this approach.

I am £1500 out of pocket - AND NO HOLIDAY TO LOOK FORWARD TO!

Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice appreciated !

Thank you

Deleted.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family