Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Comments

• bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 October 2017 at 3:39PM
    noelphobic wrote: »
    I phoned M and S to make a chàrgeback claim and they've sent me a form to fill in. It says I have to contact or attempt to contact Monarch first and provide evidence of this. How àre people doing this?

You basically tell them they have gone bust and its all over the news, it cant be a surprise to M&S, they will have thousands of customers doing the same :rotfl:

There is a letter on here you can give to M&S (or send them the link to it)

https://monarch.caa.co.uk/customers/i-have-a-future-booking-and-have-not-travelled-yet/

Just tell them you have contacted ATOL/CAAL and thats the letter they have given you. But like I said, credit card companies will know that nobody can contact Monarch, its just the standard form for all claims like this.
  • citykid5
    citykid5 Posts: 821 Forumite
    I'm currently having problems claiming back through Santander credit card, thought it would be straight forward, but because my wife paid for her flight on her card and because it's a secondary card on the account. Santander say I can't use section 75 because I as the main cardholder wouldn't benefit from the refund ? So I've got to go through a long winded goods not received process ��
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You basically tell them they have gone bust and its all over the news, it cant be a surprise to M&S, they will have thousands of customers doing the same :rotfl:

There is a letter on here you can give to M&S (or send them the link to it)

https://monarch.caa.co.uk/customers/i-have-a-future-booking-and-have-not-travelled-yet/

Just tell them you have contacted ATOL/CAAL and thats the letter they have given you. But like I said, credit card companies will know that nobody can contact Monarch, its just the standard form for all claims like this.

I'm assuming it's standard practice with a chargeback' claim. When I phoned them to initiate the claim I got the impression they'd been well briefed and they asked all the right questions, so hopefully that questions just a formality.

I had a bad experience with Barclaycard a few months ago when I made a Section 75 claim. I got a refund when I told them I would go to the Ombudsman if they didn't refund me. I'm glad I'm not dealing with them now!
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    MisterP123 wrote: »
    Update on Lastminute.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I managed to book replacement flights early last Monday after being unsuccessful getting through to lastminute. Finally spoke to them and told them about my alternative flights and was told that they would make a note on my booking and somebody would be in touch to offer a solution.

Email this morning to say they can not offer a solution and package holiday has been cancelled and a full refund will be issued. Thanks for the solution lastminute! So I now have flights but no hotel. Can't book the hotel separately now as there are no rooms available. I've emailed them direct to see if I can book my original reservation direct but got the feeling this isn't going to be successful. In the meantime I'm left looking for alternative accommodation, which isn't going well seeing as I'm due to fly a week tomorrow (the 17th,) it's half term and there's hardly any rooms left anywhere.

One of my relations had a similar problem with Secret Escapes -they couldn't replace the return flight (going out was with Thos Cook) so have cancelled the whole holiday!
    Fortunately,she is not tied on date so has managed to book the same hotel plus flights for a week later.:T
  • I had this problem too with the automated line. Just say 'I want to speak to an agent' and they will put you through to a real person. The line was busy but I left my phone number and they called back within 10 minutes.
  • Thanks for your reply. I understood that the whole of the amount paid was covered if you paid by Credit Card. Didn't realise only the cardholder received their share of any refund if things go wrong. What family by separate tickets? That means a family of 4 would only get a quarter back provided it was over £100. It's a con!

I'll always pay by PayPal in future. For some unknown reason I clicked pay with them. Didn't know until santander said ring them as they weren't interested. PayPal arw refunding whole amount no quibble!
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    MisterP123 wrote: »
    Update on Lastminute.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I managed to book replacement flights early last Monday after being unsuccessful getting through to lastminute. Finally spoke to them and told them about my alternative flights and was told that they would make a note on my booking and somebody would be in touch to offer a solution.

Email this morning to say they can not offer a solution and package holiday has been cancelled and a full refund will be issued. Thanks for the solution lastminute! So I now have flights but no hotel. Can't book the hotel separately now as there are no rooms available. I've emailed them direct to see if I can book my original reservation direct but got the feeling this isn't going to be successful. In the meantime I'm left looking for alternative accommodation, which isn't going well seeing as I'm due to fly a week tomorrow (the 17th,) it's half term and there's hardly any rooms left anywhere.

Have a look on trivago
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Late last night i recieved an email from Protect Claims emailing on behalf of the CAA with a form to fill in for claiming back the cost of my package under ATOL.

I states that if all or part of the booking was paid by mean other than credit card I was eligible to claim under ATOL.

Before I fill it in, giving a lot of information including bank details, is this legit? They have my booking reference but a bit hesitant as can't find anything online confirming this is real.

Hoping it is as the alternative is speaking to my credit card company, which i was going to be doing today, having booked the deposit on my cc.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'll always pay by PayPal in future. For some unknown reason I clicked pay with them.

If I have read other posts correctly, there is a six month limit with Paypal.
  • Anyone else had the same Protect Claims email?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure