Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End

Comments

• nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I know but it seems the same functionality that sends the meter readings to the supplier also sends the updates to the monitor. When they turn off their data collection, the monitor also dies. There will be a possible fix but it may take til 2020! Only alternative is to ask for a new generation SMETS2 Monitor when they become available ....
    They have been available for a long time now. BEFORE I joined the BGas collective last year there was a docu on TV about this quizzing why S1 were being installed when the newer versions were out - it was because they had vast stocks of the first version and because demand wasn't as expected. So don't think its because they aren't available, it's because they equally work well for the current supplier and they don't care if they stop when you move away, because you've moved away.

The spec for the second version has been around since 2012 and last updated in 2014 (https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/smart-metering-equipment-technical-specifications-second-version). So even if it took them a year to get the units manufactured from the final 2nd gen spec, they should have been installing them before the British Gas Collective deal we have been on was offered.

So the big question is if you have had a meter installed whilst on the collective, why was everyone fobbed off with an old model when the newer model had been around for a while. If you combine this with the data vulnerability and public heath concerns of them, it makes you wonder if at some point it will be like a future PPI and people will be able to claim to get them replaced and for inconvenience caused.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    nic_c wrote: »
    They have been available for a long time now. BEFORE I joined the BGas collective last year there was a docu on TV about this quizzing why S1 were being installed when the newer versions were out - it was because they had vast stocks of the first version and because demand wasn't as expected. So don't think its because they aren't available, it's because they equally work well for the current supplier and they don't care if they stop when you move away, because you've moved away.

The spec for the second version has been around since 2012 and last updated in 2014 (https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/smart-metering-equipment-technical-specifications-second-version). So even if it took them a year to get the units manufactured from the final 2nd gen spec, they should have been installing them before the British Gas Collective deal we have been on was offered.

So the big question is if you have had a meter installed whilst on the collective, why was everyone fobbed off with an old model when the newer model had been around for a while. If you combine this with the data vulnerability and public heath concerns of them, it makes you wonder if at some point it will be like a future PPI and people will be able to claim to get them replaced and for inconvenience caused.

This is nothing to do with the SMETS2 specification or old models. SMETS2 meters connect to The Data Communications Company not individual suppliers. This organisation only went live in certain areas in late 2016. To allow for further testing of equipment and links, the Government restricted the rollout of smart meters (each of the Big 6 suppliers only had install 1500 meters each in the first year and they were permitted to include SMETS1 meters in these totals). The Government has now directed that The DCC and suppliers are to find technical solutions to graft SMETS 1 meters on to the central hub by 2020. This may be achieved via firmware or by a change in the comms hub. With 10M SMETS1 meters already deployed, it is unlikely that the Government or industry will want to replace these meters anytime soon. They have 43M more meters to install by 2020.
  • Enceladus
    Enceladus Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We were on the MSE collective fix that expired on Oct 3rd. We switched to the OVO 2 year fix. And that was effective from yesterday 5th Oct.

When I log in on the BG site it tells me that our energy account is closed and the balance is £0.00 in credit, which is incorrect. However if I navigate to the payment history it correctly states that we are £364 in credit. And the last bill is from April. Despite submitting meter readings we have not had a bill since then. I was expecting a bill in July.

The first OVO direct debit is due in a few days, so I'd really like to know where we stand with BG. The BG direct debit is due in a week. And I don't want an unexpected double whammy.

When can I expect to see the final BG bill?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Enceladus wrote: »
    We were on the MSE collective fix that expired on Oct 3rd. We switched to the OVO 2 year fix. And that was effective from yesterday 5th Oct.

When I log in on the BG site it tells me that our energy account is closed and the balance is £0.00 in credit, which is incorrect. However if I navigate to the payment history it correctly states that we are £364 in credit. And the last bill is from April. Despite submitting meter readings we have not had a bill since then. I was expecting a bill in July.

The first OVO direct debit is due in a few days, so I'd really like to know where we stand with BG. The BG direct debit is due in a week. And I don't want an unexpected double whammy.

When can I expect to see the final BG bill?

I posted this on 29 Sept(post #314)
    I also have had my closing GAS account from BG using the(accurate!) meter reading I gave to Ovo. However not yet anything on Electricity.

As posted earlier I received notification from BG that I was to get two increased separate DDs on 01 Oct even though my BG account closed on 25 Sept - I am well in credit. I rang BG to ensure these DDs were cancelled. The very helpful call centre operator explained he couldn't cancel DDs but he set them both to £0.00!

Still nothing on my electricity bill. I rang BG and they have up to next week to produce bill and send refund to my bank account.
  • kennywebb
    kennywebb Posts: 11 Forumite
    Just switched from BG using Energy Club. Wanted to check a few things on my BG account, logged on to find everything has been taken offline!! Account closed....................

Is this normal? Seems a bit sudden and final.
  • Tharweb
    Tharweb Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I switched on 26th September. I can still access my BG on-line account which tells me I am £0.15 in debit, which will be taken two weeks after the date of my final bill, which was produced on 2nd October.

Maybe it's different if you owe them money?

The only weird thing is, the bill only refers to gas, not electricity and I was dual fuel.
    This site has saved me a fortune :money: ...it's also cost me a fortune! :doh:
    © Tharweb 2006 :D
  • Tharweb wrote: »
    I switched on 26th September. I can still access my BG on-line account which tells me I am £0.15 in debit, which will be taken two weeks after the date of my final bill, which was produced on 2nd October.

Maybe it's different if you owe them money?

The only weird thing is, the bill only refers to gas, not electricity and I was dual fuel.
    It is weird .... I was dual fuel. Got a gas bill credit bill, said nothing would happen until the electric final bill was sorted which I sort of understood. Electric also in credit but a smaller amount - £25 vs £125 for gas. Guess what, got the £25 in my bank already, no sign of the gas credit and nothing showing as owing on what's left accessible on my online account!!

Watching to see what happens next��
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    kennywebb wrote: »
    Just switched from BG using Energy Club. Wanted to check a few things on my BG account, logged on to find everything has been taken offline!! Account closed....................

Is this normal? Seems a bit sudden and final.
    That's why I downloaded copies of all statements, in case they retrospectively change my usage :eek:
  • nic_c wrote: »
    That's why I downloaded copies of all statements, in case they retrospectively change my usage :eek:
    Yeah, I've got all my statements, plus my smartdata ....... just in case!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    It is weird .... I was dual fuel. Got a gas bill credit bill, said nothing would happen until the electric final bill was sorted which I sort of understood. Electric also in credit but a smaller amount - £25 vs £125 for gas. Guess what, got the £25 in my bank already, no sign of the gas credit and nothing showing as owing on what's left accessible on my online account!!

Watching to see what happens next��

For myself, on that BG tariff, it was not possible to be in credit for both gas AND electricity.

On that tariff I paid a single DD that covered both gas and electricity. The bills I got stated, say, Gas cost £200, Electricity £150, Total = £350. This left me with a single credit or debit figure that covered both fuels.

Like you I have had my gas bill leaving me with a large credit. From that credit I will be getting an electricity bill from 30 June to 25 Sept and that will be deducted from my credit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure