ebay purchase problem

Options
Hi.

I have a problem with an Ebay purchess and am looking for advice.

I bid and won an auction (only bidder as it was poorly listed) from a private seller.

Paid promptly, waited for notice of dispatch (auction details said 2 days)

no notice of dispatch but thought i'd wait till ebays suggested delivery window had passed before enquiring where it was as some people dont mark as sent on ebay.

before i did this (1 week after initial purchase) I received a very short message from the seller stating 1 bit had been misplaced (not an essential bit)

I replied asking why it had taken a week to get to this point and what was happening as i still wanted the rest, though i asked if they could double check for the missing bit.

seller responded rest would be sent next working day. no other details.

I then had to chase again to see if it had been sent.

Finally arrived and several other bits are missing, some more essential to the product.

Asked about the missing items and basically told, thought they where there, dont have them, nothing I can do.

Now what i have left is probably worth the purchase price but I dont have everything I paid for.

what are my options?
I only really see 2 but hope i'm wrong
Option 1, keep what i've got, accept the seller is not going to help, leave the neg and move on.
option 2, raise a SNAD dispute, but then will i end up having to send back at my own cost? dont see why i should be out of pocket for this.

In truth I really want the items or a partial refund for the missing parts, am i right in thinking there is no way i can force this?

any advice or other options greatly appreciated.

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi.

I bid and won an auction (only bidder as it was poorly listed) from a private seller.

no notice of dispatch but thought i'd wait till ebays suggested delivery window had passed before enquiring where it was as some people dont mark as sent on ebay.

before i did this (1 week after initial purchase) I received a very short message from the seller stating 1 bit had been misplaced (not an essential bit)

I replied asking why it had taken a week to get to this point and what was happening as i still wanted the rest, though i asked if they could double check for the missing bit.

Finally arrived and several other bits are missing, some more essential to the product.

Asked about the missing items and basically told, thought they where there, dont have them, nothing I can do.

Now what i have left is probably worth the purchase price but I dont have everything I paid for.

what are my options?
    Option 1, keep what i've got, accept the seller is not going to help, leave the neg and move on.
    option 2, raise a SNAD dispute, but then will i end up having to send back at my own cost? dont see why i should be out of pocket for this.

In truth I really want the items or a partial refund for the missing parts, am i right in thinking there is no way i can force this?

option 2 you wont have to pay you should get a returns label
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi.

what are my options?

Lengthy post.

1. You cannot force a partial refund.

2. If you raise a SNAD you don't pay for the return postage.
  • Lengthy post.

1. You cannot force a partial refund.

2. If you raise a SNAD you don't pay for the return postage.

sorry for length just wanted to give details.
    1 fair enough
    2. if i raise a SNAD (never needed to before) is there still room within that to discuss things with the seller or does raising the dispute mean a return is inevitable?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    There is always the room for discussion, but, as a buyer you need to realise you get 8 days on an eBay discussion before there is room for escalation, that can be either of you. But ultimately, this means the buyer will be asked to return the entire order.

A dispute may be enough to spook a poor seller into a resolution as much as it is a way to push a poor buyer into retreating.

If you open a dispute you must be prepared to honour the outcome.
  • There is always the room for discussion, but, as a buyer you need to realise you get 8 days on an eBay discussion before there is room for escalation, that can be either of you. But ultimately, this means the buyer will be asked to return the entire order.

A dispute may be enough to spook a poor seller into a resolution as much as it is a way to push a poor buyer into retreating.

If you open a dispute you must be prepared to honour the outcome.

so for arguments sake, lets say i open the case, the seller asks for the return and i then decide not to and just to accept what i've got, what would happen then?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    so for arguments sake, lets say i open the case, the seller asks for the return and i then decide not to and just to accept what i've got, what would happen then?

No argument needed. The case* will time-out in the sellers favour. The buyer will be blocked from leaving feedback.

*ebay
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

If you aren't going to return it then I would not open a case. I have had this happen to me a few times and the feedback left by a buyer is automatically removed once the case is closed in my favour.
  • john2054
    john2054 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    this could still go either way. you still haven't said what item it was you were buying. Return it with proof of postage, then message ebay and paypal and the seller, is my advice!
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    schools are out everyone
  • ihaveaquestion123
    Options
    john2054 wrote: »
    this could still go either way. you still haven't said what item it was you were buying. Return it with proof of postage, then message ebay and paypal and the seller, is my advice!

what the item was is irrelevant. given this was 3 weeks ago I was surprised to see this thread bumped as clearly i'd have made a decision by now.

To those who did help with advice. I went with option 1, after trying to coverse with the seller through normal messages I eventually gave up (well they stopped responding at all), decided what I had was still worth what I paid, left neg feedback with appropriate stars and moved on.

thanks to those that did help when it was needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure