Are value / Basic brands disappearing from the supermarkets?

Comments

• nwc389
    nwc389 Posts: 497 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I've also found items I've been buying regularly from Lidl for the last couple of years have disappeared in the last few months. They used to do bottles of white wine vinegar which was displayed in a mixed box of vinegars that also included Balsamic vinegar and red wine vinegar. Now they're just doing the Balsamic.

I think the Lidl tuna is being repackaged in a smaller size tin with less contents for the same price!:sad:. I normally buy the chunks in spring water, which I've had trouble getting for the last few weeks too. On Saturday they had plenty of tuna chunks in brine, and amongst them I found just one tin of tuna in spring water. When I got home and put it in the cupboard I noticed the tin is smaller than the last one I bought. When I checked the label the net weight has gone from 185g to 160g and the drained weight from 130g to 112g!

As well as products disappearing I've noticed a lot of things have been increasing in price over the last few months too especially their fish.

We've just had our old shop replaced with a newer larger one and since it opened not one week has gone by without something being unavailable. The raisin wheats is the worst as they were my sons favourite and none of the other brands apparently taste as nice !
  • extrafisher
    extrafisher Posts: 908 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    i see asda/tesco are selling branded bread for 50p. they used to all do value bread at 50p but are now reducing it, maybe to stop doing it.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    nwc389 wrote: »
    We've just had our old shop replaced with a newer larger one and since it opened not one week has gone by without something being unavailable. The raisin wheats is the worst as they were my sons favourite and none of the other brands apparently taste as nice !

They are revamping the stores to give them a better look.

Maybe an issue in keeping up with demand, some lines given extra shelf space. I noticed the same the other day some items were empty. When in next ask 1 of the staff about the raisin wheats.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    My lidl has been having supply problems for months, which then escalates into most items in short supply as when you see them, you stock up

Cat food and cat litter, I something have to do a 50 mile round trip. Some weeks there is no produce, the next no provisions, the following no frozen

For months they sold the cein razor blades, the Mach 3 equivalent , but you couldn't get the razor. Now it's the other way about lol

Shopping in my lidl can be challenging to say the least
  • Lilium
    Lilium Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Post Xmas Saver!
    I've noticed value sponge scourers, value washing up gloves and value food bags have all gone. I tweeted them about this earlier. They replied over a few tweets and said...

"Hi there, I'm sorry we no longer stock some of these items. I can certainly understand how disappointing this must be. We've begun a review of our ranges to make shopping easier & to ensure we have the right levels of products available. Unfortunately this does mean we won't be stocking some products our customers have bought in the past."

Make shopping easier? Ha! Not easier when you make it more expensive.
  • jadziad
    jadziad Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 March 2017 at 5:04PM
    I (used to) get own-brand 25p toothpaste from either Morrisons or Tesco, because Lidl's seeed to be a bit watery. Both T and M have now stopped selling them. Tesco's cheapest is £1 now, and Morrisons seems to be 75p for one aimed at kids. The hunt is now on again for the cheapest [by volume]. Unexpectedly, possibly Sainsbury's might have the edge - 35p.

Edit later: Found some for 25p at a different Morrisons store and bought a rucksack full. Score!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    With regarding Asda's bran flakes. I noticed the normal range one is 86p, more/less the same price as the SP one as found an old receipt in the bottom of my shopping bag of bags.
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jadziad wrote: »
    I (used to) get own-brand 25p toothpaste from either Morrisons or Tesco, because Lidl's seeed to be a bit watery. Both T and M have now stopped selling them. Tesco's cheapest is £1 now, and Morrisons seems to be 75p for one aimed at kids. The hunt is now on again for the cheapest [by volume]. Unexpectedly, possibly Sainsbury's might have the edge - 35p.

I manage to get some morrisons 25p toothpaste today, try another branch if you can
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    with value toothpaste disappearing, I decided to purchase all of the remaining toothpaste at the peckham store in = South London. There is none there now :)
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • AnnieO1234
    AnnieO1234 Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Towards the end of last year Tesco announced they had conducted experiments in some stores of having an aisle as a store within a store with all common products. The idea sprouted from the way the discounters are small with little or no choice and people liking that way of shopping rather than meandering round a store for an hour plus.

Anyway the results of their experiment were, according to their press release, a move to merge the value and own brand (not premium) into one product line, reducing choice, production costs and the price of the own brand product. They claimed this would be better for the majority of their customers.

Tesco are also driving a push for more eco and animal friendly products in an attempt to bring people backroom the discounters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure