Anyone been on a Red Light Awareness course

Options

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    deaston wrote: »
    I didn't know such an awareness course existed. I'm assuming they're largely full of cyclists?
    Probably not considering the amount of motor vehicles I see jumping red lights.
  • deaston
    deaston Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    Probably not considering the amount of motor vehicles I see jumping red lights.

How odd. I very rarely see cars jumping red lights but see cyclists do it several times a day.

At worst, I see cars go through on amber or just as it changes to red, but bikes sail through when the light has been red for some time. And as a pedestrian I've nearly been hit by red-light jumping cyclists on a few occasions.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    debtdebt wrote: »
    In that case, take the points, pay the £100 fine and pay the increase in insurance premiums for the next 5 years then.

It doesn't always increase the premium with just 3 points. Didn't for me.
    How odd. I very rarely see cars jumping red lights but see cyclists do it several times a day.

At worst, I see cars go through on amber or just as it changes to red, but bikes sail through when the light has been red for some time. And as a pedestrian I've nearly been hit by red-light jumping cyclists on a few occasions.

It depends on location.
    When i'm in the city, most cars stop for red because of cameras near the lights. Cyclists often don't

Out of the city in smaller towns and villages, it's always the opposite. Cyclists stopping for red lights but motorists just flooring it through, even if it's at red!

Out of the city i probably see about 20 cars go through red lights for each cyclist i see doing it, if not more.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I didn't know there was such a thing as a Red Light Awareness Course - maybe it's only an option in areas where it's more common (or there are enough cameras to catch people).
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    It depends on location.
    When i'm in the city, most cars stop for red because of cameras near the lights. Cyclists often don't

Out of the city in smaller towns and villages, it's always the opposite. Cyclists stopping for red lights but motorists just flooring it through, even if it's at red!

Out of the city i probably see about 20 cars go through red lights for each cyclist i see doing it, if not more.

In Central London - I definitely agree with deaston - the most recent occasion being less than four hours ago...
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    It doesn't always increase the premium with just 3 points. Didn't for me.

No, but it might with 6, and by taking the 3 points you're a step closer.
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    It could be that you can ask the people who sent you the letter about the course for advice.

Tiredness when you are recovering is a real problem and you need to take things slowly.

Tell them of your particular problem, ie that your working hours need to be limited on medical advice.

'Sitting around' on a course is always more tiring than a person's regular work, especially if you are used to being active & on the go, and also because it is different from your usual day and needs more concentration.

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    Telling them that work and driving are making you tired, may end up with you justifying to the nice chaps at DVLA in Swansea that you are fit to drive. Chatting with GOsafe or other safety camera partnerships isn't going to change the choices that the OP has. Personally if it were me, I would take the course. After all what if you missed a NSL sign and got done for driving 52mph in a 30? You'd likely be on 9 points then. Now THAT would make a difference.

A bird in the hand...
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    Options
    I've taught hundreds of people to drive - a few had "learning difficulties", some others were just dim. NONE of them were unaware of the meaning of a red light. All of them readily understood, after a little instruction, what the other light combinations meant.

How can this course possibly last 3.5 hours?
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been on one of those courses. You sure it's Birkenhead and not Ellesmere Port?

The course covers a range of offences; not just traffic lights. Most of the people on my course had been caught using their phone.

The course itself is quite relaxed and I did learn a few things. Definitely better than the points.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Red Lights - hmmm ....well they are best avoided; you might catch something nasty!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure