Using integrated TV wifi through PVR

2»

Comments

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    but because its set up through the recorder, the recorder is asking for a wifi dongle

I very much doubt that's happening.
    Is there any way of making the recorder use the TV's built in wifi or do they have to buy a dongle?

Again, I very much doubt it. The only place the recorder will be getting internet from, is via the ethernet port or a dongle.
    BUT
    If you google the model number of the DVR, and dongle, you might find that you can get it quite cheaply. The DVR will have drivers only for a specific dongle, but if you're lucky it'll be a common one that can be had cheap.
    IE, for smart tv, have the wires straight to the aerial, for PVR have it as it is rigged now?

Smart or not smart TV has no bearing over the aerial connection. The aerial lead should go:

Aerial into DVR RF IN. Then a lead from DVR RF OUT, to TV RF IN. That connection system goes back through the ages to VCRs. Nothing to do with internet, smartness, dongles or WiFi.

You've got a TV capable of connecting to the internet.
    You've got a DVR capable of connecting to the internet.
    The TV's already connected, and you want to do the same with the DVR. It'll cost you SOME money, and you've been given some great suggestions on how to do it. The question is, what are you going to gain from it, and is it worth it?
  • Cheers to everyone but tbh this has gone over my head a lot! Might have to wait until I next go round to my parents and see if it makes more sense when I'm looking at the set-up.

Cheers!
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OK, it boils down to this - what do you think you'll get from the DVR connected to the internet, that the TV doesn't already give you?
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I hope I'm adding to this conversation rather than making it more complicated. I have a Panasonic TV and PVR.

I have an aerial lead fitted between the aerial socket on the wall and the PVR.

I have an aerial lead fitted between the PVR and the TV.

I also have an HDMI lead fitted between the TV and the PVR. See note below.

My TV has built-in WiFi but I decided to cable the TV to the router, nearby. If, like mine, your parents TV has built-in WiFi, you may not need this cable (depends on WiFi strength).

My PVR does not have built-in WiFi and, although I cabled this to the Router too, I found that I don't need to use this. I might as well remove this cable now.

To repeat my earlier post - I use the TV to access apps, not the PVR. I just leave the PVR on standby and switch the TV on and press APPS on the TV remote.

Note. The HDMI lead helps the TV communicate with the PVR. eg when I've finished watching a program that I've recorded, I simply press the TV standby button on the PVRs remote. The TV tells the PVR to go into standby, then it too switches into standby. Similarly, pressing certain buttons on the PVR remote (GUIDE or DIRECT NAVIGATOR or PROG/CHECK) takes both the PVR and TV out of standby automatically.

Hope that helps.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I would suggest connect DVR to the router with an ethernet cable and DVR to TV with an HDMI cable.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    missile wrote: »
    I would suggest connect DVR to the router with an ethernet cable and DVR to TV with an HDMI cable.

I have the same PVR that the OP mentions, but with a larger hard drive. It is much slower than the TV to access apps and there aren't that many apps there. Far better to use the TV for apps and the recorder for recording. Other PVRs might be better of course.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure