MSE News: Pound falls after election result - should you buy euros or dollars now?

The pound has dropped following yesterday's general election, as a hung Parliament causes uncertainty on the currency markets.......
Read the full story:
'Pound falls after election result - should you buy euros or dollars now?'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• We're going away in December & have decided to put money away each month onto the Revolut card, exchanging it into US$.

We've done this for the past 2 months where the rate hasn't been much different but it will be interesting to see next months rate lol
  • We only ever use a Clarity card so we'll take whatever the rate is at the time. It's not that low yet, and it could go up or down so I can't see the point of going out buying currency. If it drops throught the floor it's not a huge deal. The holiday just ends up costing a bit more.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Coming soon 'Pound strengthens after Mrs May resigns, should I buy euros or dollars now or wait to see if X is the new PM, or if there's a general election or.....'
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    I'm gutted this happened while I'm in the USA.

My motel room cost me an extra £1 last night as a result.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Was sat there Friday night thinking why didn't I press the buy button before 10pm.

But to be less hard on myself, even the last mori poll before the election had the Conservatives up for a strong majority and so did the bookies, so I expected the pound to jump Friday morning with uncertainty over.

So hanging on a bit now to see if the Tory/UDP deal holds or if further uncertainty is inevitable.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    sillygoose wrote: »
    Was sat there Friday night thinking why didn't I press the buy button before 10pm.

But to be less hard on myself, even the last mori poll before the election had the Conservatives up for a strong majority and so did the bookies, so I expected the pound to jump Friday morning with uncertainty over.

So hanging on a bit now to see if the Tory/UDP deal holds or if further uncertainty is inevitable.

There'll be another general election within a year. Too many unstable variables from wobbly "coalition" to backstabbing within the Conservative Party for there not to be.

Uncertainty until that point is the only certainty.
  • iltisman
    iltisman Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    I was suspicious on Thursday as I saw so many young people going into my polling station so I bought $1500 Dollars for my winter tip to the US.
    I now worry that another general election might put Mr Corbyn in government and I don't think the ESTA agreement would survive long.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sillygoose wrote: »

I thought it would go better for Labour than everyone was predicting, but I don't have money to waste on gambling.

It would have been better if Labour had gained a few more seats, so the DUP deal would have not been hanging over us. I've lost all faith in May's ability to lead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure