PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Where to move to diverse outskirts London?

Comments

• ndi149
    ndi149 Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    hazyjo, are you trying to convince a South Londoner to move to North London? Brave person! Lol

Seriously Starlght, I can't recommend Bromley enough, I've lived here 10 years having been brought up in Brixton. I know what you mean about Croydon though, my OH and his family are from Forestdale/Selsdon, and whilst where they are is nice, Croydon needs a massive regeneration, which hopefully the Westfield will bring, but who knows how long that will take.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    As you already know inner SE London, surely it makes sense to do as Bouicca suggests and look out radially; just as people have traditionally done in London; East-enders moving out to the fringes of Essex; Lambethans to Thornton Heath and Surrey;

And public transport improvements may not yet have impacted fully on these areas... as they are yet to come;
    http://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/200078/public_transport/666/crossrail

I'd like to think that it was no onger the case that - to quote elverson, that it's necessary to avoid Eltham..
    elverson wrote: »
    I'd avoid Mottingham and Eltham.
    as the historic context to Stephen Lawrence's murder by racist thugs in Eltham in 1993 has hopefully changed.

(In the earlier 20th Century, there was a historic undeclared housing policy by Greenwich borough which had unexpected- but forseeable consequences; parent -child succession rights and an unspoken allocations policy which kept whole swathes of the better Council cottage estates white. Even the Town Hall staff were almost exclusively white as late as the 1980s; a big surprise when I moved there from Brent and Lambeth, my former employers!)

So look out along the developing transport tentacles; but also walk, drive and cycle around potenetial areas; at all times of the day and week; as I did when moving to the area over 30 years ago
  • pretamang
    pretamang Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Have a look at Mitcham.

It's on the city thameslink and southern lines into London (zone 3) and you should get a 3 bedroom house for that.
  • Hi, not really looking at east London again, was there nearly 10yrs before I moved to SE. Are there any parts of Surrey with good links I could consider that would be diverse? Not a fan of Mitcham
  • Putney ? South west trains service is good . Next to barnes which is pricey. Having said that,even the rough parts of london are pricey.
  • pretamang wrote: »
    Have a look at Mitcham.

It's on the city thameslink and southern lines into London (zone 3) and you should get a 3 bedroom house for that.

Sorry to sound out of turn here pretamang, but southern and city thameslink are absolutely dreadful. Those are reasons to avoid any area. Southern are in the news everyday . I stand to be corrected :)
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 April 2017 at 3:40PM
    ndi149 wrote: »
    hazyjo, are you trying to convince a South Londoner to move to North London? Brave person! Lol

Indeed I am :D But then I lived in two houses in Eltham (and Westcombe Park and Blackheath) and then to Highams Park and Chingford (and Brentwood inbetween).
    AlexMac wrote: »
    I'd like to think that it was no onger the case that - to quote elverson, that it's necessary to avoid Eltham..
    as the historic context to Stephen Lawrence's murder by racist thugs in Eltham in 1993 has hopefully changed.
    I was in Eltham in the 90s and 2000s and it always seemed fairly mixed. I actually quite liked it there.

OP, Highams Park is very different to places like Leyton, Forest Gate and the like - so I'd def not lump it in with the rougher sides of East London. It's the same postcode as Chingford and borders Woodford Green and is next to Buckhurst Hill, Loughton, etc.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In defence of Eltham, I'd point out that the Stephen Lawrence murder was more about Kidbrooke. And I'm not at all sure that those convicted of the crime were actually representative ...

But back on topic - if OP thinks places like Bexleyheath and Penge are rough, then it's a bit difficult to think of anywhere in or near London that will fit the price bracket and the social criteria.
  • elverson
    elverson Posts: 808 Forumite
    The BNP stood candidates in all the Eltham wards at the last council election in 2014.

http://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/elections2014
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Sutton, Carshalton, Morden, all have affordable homes.But you have to check the areas out as there are some not-so-desirable parts.
    You could also try W Sutton and Sutton Common, which have a direct train to Wimbledon. Train from Sutton to Wimbledon takes 17 mins appx. There are two trains an hour off peak and a more frequent service during peak times. New Malden, Old Malden, very villagey.

Check train times here:
    http://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/

Have a look at crime in an area here:
    http://www.police.uk/

Area info available:
    http://www.upmystreet.com/
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure