Ground Source Heat Pumps

Options

Comments

• lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have not had that problem on radiator circuits here, but have had a couple in the electrical cassette with rusty water. One actually ate through the cassette body, so it had to be changed. The new HE seems to have a stainless steel unit, so we will see!!
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • beardymarrow
    beardymarrow Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    I think it depends what sort of heating you've got. If steel or cast iron radiatorss, then it's probably a good idea. I'd guess that it's relatively easy to clog up a plate heat exchanger with crud

We've got underfloor heating all over so it's just copper piping to brass manifolds and from there all the heating piping is plastic so there shouldn't be any iron in the water.

Cool, thanks both. For the sake of £80 and a couple of hours work I'll do it.
  • DeeWestern
    DeeWestern Posts: 117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Despite having bought hundreds of clips from Amazon, none of them were quite the right size to keep the filter in place :(

v7pD82I.jpg
    Anyway, I ran the system without the filter for 10 minutes (as the filter has never captured any bits anyway) to see if the poor quality of it was causing the issue - but had the usual GT8/9 alarm after 5 mins.

The temperatures went:
    45.9 / 34.6
    54.3 / 42.7 (2 min later)
    59.5 / 43.8 (5 min later, alarm triggered)

I later switched off the system, got my new multimeter out, and set it to 20k.
    GT8: 3.87
    GT9: 4.66

I switched the system on and read the temperatures a couple of mins later (takes ages to get in to this screen!) - it was 32.9 and 26.5, which would seem normal to me.

If we unplug these two temperature probes, could anything bad happen and would this stop the alarms?

@Patrol, I know you wanted to know if I had a manifold for my UFH... I've opened a panel in the floor I found, which is where the UFH heating starts. Not sure if this is what you were after:sUCHYwB.jpg
  • beardymarrow
    edited 14 April 2017 at 3:41PM
    Options
    Hi Dee,
    I've just been out and taken my filter out to check the circlip size (checked the filter while I was at it :-)).

I measured the unsprung diameter of the circlip at 22mm. It must have therefore been 21.5mm or 22.5mm to make it what is known as a 20 or 21mm od circlip (designed to go into a 20 or 21mm bore hole and then expand to 21 or 22mm once in). I'm sorry that I didn't measure to the 0.5mm, but I didn't realise they went like that :-)
    These were measured on my pump which is an HT+ E9. YMMV.

Something like this http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p82674/Internal-Circlip-21mm-Diameter-Un-Sprung-Dia-22.5mm/product_info.html or this http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p82673/Internal-Circlip-20mm-Diameter-Un-Sprung-Dia-21.5mm/product_info.html or equivalent on ebay should do the job.

jtmpzn.jpg

Edit: Or if you're worried about the filter not being right get this - https://jsenergi.co.uk/ivt-spare-parts/by-model/ivt-greenline-ht-e9/filter-ball-delsats-dn-20.html or https://jsenergi.co.uk/ivt-spare-parts/by-model/ivt-greenline-ht-e9/filter-ball-delsats-dn-25.html. Again, sorry but I don't know what the difference is between the DN20 and DN25. I would assume the DN20 is the internal one and the DN25 is the one on the collector loops, but don't hold me to that. Also obv. check they are compatible with your model.

Beardy
  • lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes DN20 is the heating side and DN25 is the ground loop.

Would not agree on unplugging the 2 probes as 1) the pump may not even start and 2) they are there as a safety factor to prevent overheating.

Pity I did not have time when my pump was changed over, as would have taken the probes off and posted them to you.
    Will try to see if our engineer has any suggestions, but will be after Easter when I can give you a answer.
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • DeeWestern
    Options
    Cheers guys, the probes seem to be fine from what I can see and the filter (whilst not perfect) isn't causing the problem either.

Next steps may be to cut out the beeping machine, or knock down the house and start again, or replace with a gas boiler :):)
  • beardymarrow
    Options
    You could try swapping two of the sensors over to see if the problem moves? Or a new temp sensor is https://jsenergi.co.uk/ivt-spare-parts/by-model/ivt-greenline-ht-plus-e9/001c-hetgasgivare-ntc-620mm-molex.html.

One of the things I've found really helpful is the logger I bought as you can leave it running, see all the temps, valve positions etc. on a graph and see exactly what is going on. http://husdata.se/default.asp?fullweb=yes. Money well spent in my case.
  • DeeWestern
    Options
    Cheers, does one of the temperature readings above seem off normal to you?
  • beardymarrow
    edited 15 April 2017 at 3:22PM
    Options
    The ohm readings do look about right, but I suppose they only need to be slightly out for it to be a problem. My thinking being it's free to swap two sensors over (say GT8 and GT9 swap for GT10 and GT11), and see if the readings are OK on GT8 and GT9, but dodgy and GT10 and GT11) so worth a go before trying anything expensive.

These are what they should be :-
    degC kohms
    0 15.280
    5 11.900
    10 9.330
    15 7.370
    20 5.870
    25 4.700
    30 3.790
    35 3.070
    40 2.510

so your readings of 3.87 and 4.66kohms do seem roughly right.

For interest, here is a graph of my GT8 and GT9 temps today (along with whether the compressor was on or and off and if the 3-way was sending to CH and DHW).
    e5h8q8.jpg
    As you can see about 9degC delta when producing CH and about 8degC delta when producing DHW.

Edit: Do you only get a high GT8/GT9 delta only when producing CH, or also when producing DHW? If the delta is roughly right when producing DHW, then I guess we can rule out the possibility of one of the sensors being faulty.
  • DeeWestern
    Options
    You could try swapping two of the sensors over to see if the problem moves?
    Unlike most of my plumbing, the wiring in the main GSHP box is really tidy, so it would be super difficult to move another couple of sensors over.

I did open up the insulation and found the GT8 and 9 sensors:
    L97CU24.jpg
    EhIgqbY.jpg

and I loosened the cables and put them in some ice water:
    CoLW0rH.jpg

GT8 reported a temperature of 1.8, and GT9 of 1.9 so they seem fine to me. When I wired them back up, I swapped the sensors over just in case it made a difference. Slightly less tidy wiring now!
    TsGmFBq.jpg

The alarms (which normally trigger under both DHW and CH) went off after 5 minutes. The readings were after I turned it back on, and CH was being generated:
    GT8: 38.0, GT9: 28.5 (start)
    GT8: 40.9, GT9: 28.5 (1 min later)
    GT8: 44.3, GT9: 28.5 (2 min later)
    GT8: 46.5, GT9: 28.7 (4 min later)
    GT8: 47.2, GT9: 29.1 (5 min later, alarm triggered)

20 mins later GT8 was 50.4, GT9 was 32.4
    90 mins later GT8 was 49.5, GT9 was 31.8
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport