Extra RAM to speed up PC

12346»

Comments

• Thanks for all of the information, I have understood most of it.

I have ordered the replacement RAM for £15 and I will see what difference that makes. I will then look at overclocking, though this may stretch my knowledge abit, and longer term I will look out for an SSD if there is still improvement required and the price is right.

Thanks everyone.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    I know I'm late to this thread and it may be irrelevant but I was always told to think of the CPU, HDD & RAM like this:

CPU - how quickly you can move round the office
    HDD - the big filing cabinet over the other side of the room
    RAM - an IN/OUT tray on your desk

Therefore if your IN/OUT tray is too small then you are having to get up out of your seat more to go to the filing cabinet and upgrading the CPU means you are just running to the filing cabinet quicker.

If you get a bigger IN/OUT tray though, you can store more paperwork without getting up as often and only have to go to the filing cabinet every now and again.

Does this analogy still work?
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Thanks for all of the information, I have understood most of it.

I have ordered the replacement RAM for £15 and I will see what difference that makes. I will then look at overclocking, though this may stretch my knowledge abit, and longer term I will look out for an SSD if there is still improvement required and the price is right.

Thanks everyone.

Forget about overclocking. The usual bottleneck will be the hard drive. Your CPU is fine as it is.
    Was your Windows 10 installation a clean install from boot?
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 10:55AM
    I know I'm late to this thread and it may be irrelevant but I was always told to think of the CPU, HDD & RAM like this:

CPU - how quickly you can move round the office
    Slightly wrong, more like

CPU - the workers in the office. One guy takes longer than two to do the same task. Two guys can do more, and faster, but often not as efficient as one guy. Two guys may be dependent on each other to get the job done. Sometimes they can do different things together, but one often finished before the other, and may have to wait, but he may be able to do something else in the mean time, but this depends on the situation.
    BUS - how quickly you can move around the building, and get to work. Lifts, locked doors, traffic lights and other traffic slow you down.
  • pvtILLY
    pvtILLY Posts: 5 Forumite
    Putting in more memory will always be beneficial to making a PC perform better as it allows more information to be held in ram, meaning, the CPU doesn't have to keep fetching from the page file or hard drive. As for speed it all depends on the speed of the ram modules and the supported speed of the motherboard. Cost is also the crucial factor. I would recommend using CPU-Z application to get information on the current hardware.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Putting in more memory will always be beneficial to making a PC perform better as it allows more information to be held in ram, meaning, the CPU doesn't have to keep fetching from the page file or hard drive.
    That's true - up to the point when 'all' the required information is stored in RAM! The "law of diminishing returns" operates; after a certain point adding more memory (for 64-bit systems, not 32-bit systems) reduces the paging by smaller and smaller amounts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure