BT cancelled my landline by mistake

I phoned bt. To give 30 days notice to cancel bt sport and they cancelled my bt landline as well. Due to be cancelled tonight as I am with sky for BB this will be cancelled as well. I phoned bt and was told they cannot do anything the cancellation had to go through and I need to reorder. It only took 5 mins for bt to mess up and now I am the one suffering. When phone is disconnected sky BB will also, Iam still under contract with sky. Sky told me it will take up to 2 weeks to be reconnected also I will need to take ther landline as well as you cannot only have BB without their line rental. What a mess it seems when but reconnects me I will have no option but to have their bb the other option is to take sky phone line. This seems rather complicated through no fault of mine bt has messed up. BT said they accept full responsibility of their mess. This is not good for me as it is causing me a lot of stress. Has this ever happened to anybody before. I phoned yesterday and it is going to be cancelled tonight surely something is wrong and this should not have happened. Apparently once the order has gone through it cannot be cancelled and a new order had to be created.

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    it will be good for you to be rid of BT.

Sky's phone line is good. Free caller display.
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    Immediately after talking to BT when they admitted their mistake, you should have emailed gavin.e.patterson@bt.com and this would have been resolved by the BT executive office.

You should still do this and demand compensation for the stress and inconvenience that their mistake has caused you.
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    I do not hnk compensation will be enough for the stress this has caused us pensioners. I have been put a new 12 months contract since I have got old package with sky bb. Sky told me I will have to take their phone as I cannot have only by and sky talk. BT said they will compensate for any loss but what about the stress it is causing I will give my daughther the e ail and she will email him. Thanks
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It is a !!!!-up but you will be in a better place. Unfortunately you will probably also find you get a new phone number but at least try to get Sky and BT between them to let you keep the old one.

I say a better place because you will have just one contract for telecommunications, namely with Sky.

The old way of doing business, adding one service provider's broadband (Sky) over a network service from another provider (BT) is not available for any new contracts. Just make sure that your Sky phone/broadband telecommunications service has the right bundle of inclusive phone calls and features to suit the way you will use it.
  • Rubidium
    First Post
    It is a !!!!-up but you will be in a better place. Unfortunately you will probably also find you get a new phone number but at least try to get Sky and BT between them to let you keep the old one.

I say a better place because you will have just one contract for telecommunications, namely with Sky.

The old way of doing business, adding one service provider's broadband (Sky) over a network service from another provider (BT) is not available for any new contracts. Just make sure that your Sky phone/broadband telecommunications service has the right bundle of inclusive phone calls and features to suit the way you will use it.

Not a better place!

This was BT's mistake and I would expect nothing less than BT to take ownership of their mistake and arrange with Sky to put things back exactly as they were.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The old way of doing business, adding one service provider's broadband (Sky) over a network service from another provider (BT) is not available for any new contracts.
    Incorrect. Not all ISPs require you to take the line rental with them as well.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • loulou41
    What a mess.? Still waiting for a call with bt. Phone will be reactivated today. I want to stay with sky but bt has tied me with 12 months contract. Sky bb and phone line rental seems cheaper. It will be less hassle if I take bt bb as hubby likes to watch bt sports which he normally cancelled when the season is over that's why I am in such a mess as bt messed up and called the lot including bt sports. Any advice pl whether to go with bt or stay with sky. It will easier if I stay with sky as will only have to pay penalty for early exit which bt will refund. With new contract phone line with that might cause a problem. Will be glad to have some advice. Thanks
  • Rubidium
    First Post
    loulou41 wrote: »
    What a mess.? Still waiting for a call with bt. Phone will be reactivated today. I want to stay with sky but bt has tied me with 12 months contract. Sky bb and phone line rental seems cheaper. It will be less hassle if I take bt bb as hubby likes to watch bt sports which he normally cancelled when the season is over that's why I am in such a mess as bt messed up and called the lot including bt sports. Any advice pl whether to go with bt or stay with sky. It will easier if I stay with sky as will only have to pay penalty for early exit which bt will refund. With new contract phone line with that might cause a problem. Will be glad to have some advice. Thanks

You would not still be waiting for a call if you had emailed the exec office!

You should not have to sort out BT's mess. Insist that everything isl reinstated as it was before they made their mistake.

If you don't then BT are benefiting from their mistake and you are the looser because if you had wanted BT then you would have chosen BT yourself.
  • loulou41
    It cannot be reinstated as before as since sky bb has been disconnected. I will have to take their line rental. If bt does not ring or cannot get satisfaction I will get daughter to email the chief executive in the meantime will see how bt handle the complaints. Has anybody actually get a response by emailing the chief executive.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,098 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I had the same issue with a Plusnet business line. They cancelled a office move job - they have no system to put things right without placing a new order with Openreach and going to the bottom of the heap.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport