Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Comments

• mrsmac10
    mrsmac10 Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Just skimming past but hope both bubbs and snaps' sister get on ok today
  • mrs_lds
    mrs_lds Posts: 4,103 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    Chrisv wrote: »
    bubbs, sharpies good to go :)

Please can you explain the sharpies? I've seen lots of posts but cant fathom out where from and what to get. Tia x
  • pacifica9
    pacifica9 Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    mrs_lds wrote: »
    Please can you explain the sharpies? I've seen lots of posts but cant fathom out where from and what to get. Tia x
    1x Gillette Venus Embrace 5 Blade Razor & Shower Holder (each) £5.00 £1.00 (A v W)
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.” ~ Ferris Bueller
  • rose28454
    rose28454 Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    1 week after the flooding and things are moving along nicely. Loss adjustor came on Friday and did a report. He said they will give me £10.00 per day for evening meal whilst I am in the hotel but will deduct it from my £350.00 excess initially. They are looking at a 2-3 month let for me as the projected dates are end of April for house to be dry and end of June for completion of works.
    Surveyor called me 1st thing and is coming with a building company tommorow to look what needs doing and to check if kitchen ceiling has asbestos in it as it may need to come down.
    He asked me on Friday if I wanted to get quotes for the work and carpets etc or if I wanted them to manage it all. I said I would rather they did it and he said they would appoint a project manager to oversee the job. I need to keep samples of the carpets when they pull them up so they can organise like for like replacements.
    Cleaning company just called to say they have logged my job and will be in touch shortly to arrange collection of all my clothes, curtains and contents of my airing cupboard to be laundered, I am in a bit of a quandary about this as I was about to dispose of some of my airing cupboard things so dont know what to do. Do I clear the cupboard myself before they come and dispose of some of the things or do I just leave it for them to clean everything?
    Quite pleased that even though my insurance for this year only cost £99.00 it seems to be a good policy and I am impressed with all they have done so far.

I went to my sisters at the weekend to look at her insurance policy and she pays nearly £900.00 per year through NFU and when I did a comparison online she could get it down to £184.00 with the AA. Told her to call NFU this morning and ask for a discount as she has only just renewed it and if not to cancel and go elsewhere. I also called SKY for her and got her bill down from £80.00 to £47.60 per month for 18 months. Admittedly she lost bits of her package but they were bits she did not want. Then when I got back I called Sky and told them I wouldnt be needing TV or broadband for 3 months and they reduced my bill from £59.00 to £32.00 for 18 months also. Very MSE of me.

Slept very badly last night ( all this worry I think ) so I am at work but exhausted.
  • pacifica9
    pacifica9 Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    rose28454 wrote: »
    1 week after the flooding and things are moving along nicely. Loss adjustor came on Friday and did a report. He said they will give me £10.00 per day for evening meal whilst I am in the hotel but will deduct it from my £350.00 excess initially. They are looking at a 2-3 month let for me as the projected dates are end of April for house to be dry and end of June for completion of works.
    Surveyor called me 1st thing and is coming with a building company tommorow to look what needs doing and to check if kitchen ceiling has asbestos in it as it may need to come down.
    He asked me on Friday if I wanted to get quotes for the work and carpets etc or if I wanted them to manage it all. I said I would rather they did it and he said they would appoint a project manager to oversee the job. I need to keep samples of the carpets when they pull them up so they can organise like for like replacements.
    Cleaning company just called to say they have logged my job and will be in touch shortly to arrange collection of all my clothes, curtains and contents of my airing cupboard to be laundered, I am in a bit of a quandary about this as I was about to dispose of some of my airing cupboard things so dont know what to do. Do I clear the cupboard myself before they come and dispose of some of the things or do I just leave it for them to clean everything?
    Quite pleased that even though my insurance for this year only cost £99.00 it seems to be a good policy and I am impressed with all they have done so far.

I went to my sisters at the weekend to look at her insurance policy and she pays nearly £900.00 per year through NFU and when I did a comparison online she could get it down to £184.00 with the AA. Told her to call NFU this morning and ask for a discount as she has only just renewed it and if not to cancel and go elsewhere. I also called SKY for her and got her bill down from £80.00 to £47.60 per month for 18 months. Admittedly she lost bits of her package but they were bits she did not want. Then when I got back I called Sky and told them I wouldnt be needing TV or broadband for 3 months and they reduced my bill from £59.00 to £32.00 for 18 months also. Very MSE of me.

Slept very badly last night ( all this worry I think ) so I am at work but exhausted.
    Glad things are moving along for you rose. There should be no problem if you want to get rid of stuff - just run it by the assessor first so they are aware.
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.” ~ Ferris Bueller
  • gocat
    gocat Posts: 5,905 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    rose28454 wrote: »

Hi Rose. Glad the insurance company are doing everything they can do help ease the effect on you with this flooding episode.
    Your insurance company sounds great. Would you mind telling who you are insured with
    tia :)
  • rose28454
    mhoc wrote: »
    On the minus side Errant youngest son is being a right pain in the rear.

2nd problem - Errant son is not getting back into the UK until very late Friday afternoon. He wanted to know what station it was to get a train going north. Eldest child has told him, also how expensive Friday afternoon trains are and even if he got a later train they are not much better. She also had to ring the restaurant and take his name off the list for the rehearsal dinner as whatever train he takes he wont arrive until very late, one of us will have to leave the rehearsal dinner to collect him from the station. So sometime Friday night he will arrive having travelled for about 2 days - bus, 2 or 3 planes, underground and train, unwashed, unshaved and unfed etc...

3rd problem - Errant son was also messaging me early yesterday and he said he had a blazer, shirt and tie in his "vehicle" . I don't know where the vehicle is but its not at the airport or at the train station. So he will be travelling north with what clothes he has with him. Eldest child seems to think he has his suit with him. Errant son says he does not have a blazer with him so I've no idea what he does and does not have.
    Eldest middle son got a suit for a wedding last year which he did not wear in the end but that is still here in a suit carrier so that will have to go in the car with us - its not a suit I like but it cant be helped. Its just fortunate that some of the boys clothes are still here - just got to find a choice of white shirts and maybe some of OHs silk ties - this is my first job today even before I think about our own packing so I can stop eldest child worrying. Not that this suit will get any approval - or the shirts and ties but its the best I can make of a bad job. Also eldest son will be annoyed with having his suit borrowed but that I will have to deal with later...

There are a few coming up from London for the wedding so there is a vague possibility Errant son might get a lift back south on Sunday, otherwise it will be the train again unless we do a massive detour when we go home

Also no idea where Errant son will be sleeping on Friday, Saturday, Sunday etc - we have an airbandb house but it will be full on Friday so I need to take extra bedding, duvet, pillows etc incase he ends up with us and sleeping on the floor ...

deep sigh ...

Sorry he is being so inconsiderate to you in a week when you should just be enjoying your daughters big day.
    When our son got married in London we had a breakdown on the way to London and I called the night before and asked if we could go in the taxis they had hired from the register office to the reception and was told no. So after a morning running around getting massive balloons that barely fitted in the car ( leaving very little time to get ready ) we drove with our daughters bf to the register office and came out to a parking fine that cost me £130.00 and then we werent in any of the wedding photos. Made me very sad and I feel for you
  • rose28454
    gocat wrote: »
    Hi Rose. Glad the insurance company are doing everything they can do help ease the effect on you with this flooding episode.
    Your insurance company sounds great. Would you mind telling who you are insured with
    tia :)

I am insured with British Gas run by Axa. I am well impressed
  • rose28454
    pacifica9 wrote: »
    Glad things are moving along for you rose. There should be no problem if you want to get rid of stuff - just run it by the assessor first so they are aware.

I will do that. I am going to have to throw away a few pairs of shoes that were stored under my bed and are now mouldy.
  • Sarahdol75
    Sarahdol75 Posts: 7,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Snap-ant wrote: »
    :)

Today my sisters & I are going off to Cardiff for sister's 2½ hour full body scan ...

Leaving soon as appt is 1pm

I'm in knots so I hope my sister is coping better ♥

All the best snap xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills