Extra RAM to speed up PC

Comments

• toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 March 2017 at 1:49AM
    were wrote: »
    The result is that the basic ICH7 not that great, but some may get working, on others ssd drives are not tolerated by the system, non will reach the potential of AHCI machines, and at this age and sata version the bus possibly has limitations too.

It seems you have mentioned about chipset compatibility/ performance in terms of data transfer. Well any slowest SATA SSD still will run much faster than hard disk. Simply slowest SSD seektime is 100 faster than fastest Hard Disk.

My motherboard chipset uses notorious NVidia MCP79, (same as some MAC notebooks) Because of hardware bug, my SSDs are always recognised as SATA1, :( even NVidia MCP79 supports SATA2.

Is this serious disadvantage ? Well not really, I did not realise NVidia SATA chipset bug until I run some benchmark test, as SSD performance improvement was so dramatic.

If you compared my SATA1 SSD and SATA2 HARD DISK, sequential transfer speed benchmark is more or less same, but this is not the end of story. Most of Benchmark uses sequential transfer speed, but real computing (like computer boot) accesses far more smaller many many files. Probably IOPS is far more important than sequential transfer speed.

This article shows there are no practical performance difference between SATA2 and SATA3, probably SATA1 is not that behind.
    "Upgrade Advice: Does Your Fast SSD Really Need SATA 6Gb/s? "
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performance-sata-3gbps,3110-7.html

SSD price remains high, I bought 256GB SSD around 60 pound last year, but now 90 pound, due to exchange rate and supply problems, more demand from mobile phone use .... Hopefully price will come down towards the end of this year..

Happy computing :)
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 March 2017 at 7:55AM
    SSD or die tryin!

Actually good points about speed difference between 6mb and 3mb

backupsteam.png

However, not so sure I agree that 1.5mb not making such a difference.

Still the most valid point you make is that of price.

I spoke to a guy in memory supply chain, his business is really suffering because of these high prices.

He said it is that the memory is in massive demand from pc, mobile and other kit manufacturers.

He said that now that they have a taste of the higher prices they would rather like to keep them high.

So it will take less demand to lower prices.

Regardless of performance, I would not spend £90.

£15 for RAM upgrade and an overclock. This is after all a money saving website!
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    were wrote: »
    Unsure about purchasing a second had SSD, unless really, really cheap. We had some new 400G SSDseagates at work, cost £1700, in under a week it was dead, so got another, and less than a week later... after the third one, it became a battle for account managers. Supplies are quoting 2 years, but only really used for booting, so majority have lasted longer.

Silicon is quick, but the life is not great, and it does not deteriorate in a way that gives a warning, it just dies. I've also avoided hybrid drives at all cost, as they have the worst properties of both, and just a world of pain waiting to be unleashed.

Tell me more about this hybrid hell, I have not seen these go bad yet, seem the SSD's go bad and it is as you say. Does the HD remain usable if the RAM dies? I can imagine a worst case scenario being bad data being written so data becoming corrupt.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    EdwardB wrote: »
    SSD or die tryin!

backupsteam.png
    Please note this is the Jan 2012 article, Unlike Harddisk, SSD technology is still developing. The current models are much faster than 2012 models. (even if you uses SATA1/SATA2 interface)

Let me added all benchmarks here :)

boottime_windows.png

filecopy.png
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    toshi, yes SSD are faster, but on an old machine, if the SSD actually works, with an old ide bus, but with sata compatibility, granted it will be faster, especially on paper when you doing the calculations, but in some cases it is a slight, unnoticeable increase for a large exchange of cash.

On the other hand you may have a newer version the NM10/ICH7, or an older raid version, but even then your bios may not be able support it, and a compatible driver to bypass it may not be available.

Yes, on a more modern laptop with newer chipset, ssd is the way to go for speed, and you do get tremendous performance, though not as good as PC-express SSD cards.

This is what you want, http://www.geek.com/chips/new-intel-storage-is-1000-times-faster-than-your-ssd-1629656/ just dont put it on an old pc and expect bench marked performance :D
  • One question - when I was looking into this for MIL, I came across a feature of windows which seems to allow use of an sdcard or flash drive as (I think) effectively a paging device. Is that helpful ?

Can't remember what it was called now.. hang on... ah, yes - "ReadyBoost". Has anyone tried that and found it useful ?
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    One question - when I was looking into this for MIL, I came across a feature of windows which seems to allow use of an sdcard or flash drive as (I think) effectively a paging device. Is that helpful ?

Can't remember what it was called now.. hang on... ah, yes - "ReadyBoost". Has anyone tried that and found it useful ?

Very easy to try out.
    • Put any USB stick in.
    • In 'This PC', right click the device and select properties, then the ReadyBoost tab.

On my PC, windows refuses to allow ReadyBoost. It says my PC is fast enough already. More to the point, the USB device is slower than the SSD.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    EdwardB wrote: »
    I spoke to a guy in memory supply chain, his business is really suffering because of these high prices.

He said it is that the memory is in massive demand from pc, mobile and other kit manufacturers.

He said that now that they have a taste of the higher prices they would rather like to keep them high.

So it will take less demand to lower prices.

Sorry, but there is no Opec equivalent in the flash business to keep prices high. As 3D NAND flash comes on stream prices will drop. It may not happen until late this year, but it will happen. That's the nature of the business, when demand is high, capex is high to build new fabs, that leads to more capacity, price drops...
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    keith969 wrote: »
    Sorry, but there is no Opec equivalent in the flash business to keep prices high. As 3D NAND flash comes on stream prices will drop. It may not happen until late this year, but it will happen. That's the nature of the business, when demand is high, capex is high to build new fabs, that leads to more capacity, price drops...

This seems to suggest there's going to be a price rise.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/brace-yourself-for-a-solid-state-drive-price-hike-of-10-percent-or-more/
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    emptybox wrote: »

Short term yes, longer term no. The long term trend over the years has been consistently downwards as bit density has risen.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure