'Support onclick'?

Comments

• Tallymanjohn
    Tallymanjohn Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    edited 5 July 2009 at 8:49AM
    I'm pretty sure there's nothing hidden away - there's no trace of logmein, or any variant, having been installed. I'm popping back today to have a look at the Kaspersky log to see what was allowed to run & make sure that's placed in the 'untrusted' zone. A full scan doesn't show any backdoor trojans as I was expecting. He's using a router, so I'll make sure it's only set up for internet - I'm beginning to think that the company just relies on the customer 'paying up' & that's it, but will report back if I find anything nefarious.

I think to say that anything less than a full clean install is 'very stupid', is rather a stupid comment to make - the person concerned is actually highly intelligent, just very well off and rather trusting - that's why he has good friends like me who try to help him with sensible solutions whenever we can.
  • bubblesbonbon
    bubblesbonbon Posts: 800 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I believe that they are using the Remote Assistance feature of XP & Vista.

Whilst this feature can be very useful for bona fide support companies, it can be abused.

Here is a post that explains how I reckon the con element works.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1743697

The remedy is in the last bit

;)
    "It's nice to be important but more important to be nice"

John Templeton 1912-2008
  • Tallymanjohn
    Many thanks for that - the scenario sounds the same & explains why he was told to open Event Viewer etc.
  • Jemma-T
    Jemma-T Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    I think to say that anything less than a full clean install is 'very stupid', is rather a stupid comment to make - the person concerned is actually highly intelligent, just very well off and rather trusting - that's why he has good friends like me who try to help him with sensible solutions whenever we can.

Highly intelligent? Who mentioned anything to do with IQ? My comment was perfectly valid.

Intelligent people murder people, go bankrupt etc etc too. They can also be idiotic. Their actions were clearly idiotic and I'm quite sure they'd think so now. If you are an honest friend you'll give them a strong warning as they could be in all sorts of toruble now letting people inside their computer.

A clean install should be done because there's plenty of stuff Kaspersky wouldn't notice. And yes -only a complete idiot- wouldn't do a clean install. Just how intelligent is it to continue using your computer as normal after such a serious security problem?

Just keep your info private. The minute you give it out it's not yours. Simple rule.
  • Tallymanjohn
    Thanks for all positive replies. The scam is just a money-making exercise - nothing's been installed on his system, they just used Remote Assistance which has now been disabled. We may be 'stupid' but I certainly haven't got the time/inclination to spend a couple of hours doing a complete backup, reinstall, update etc.
  • Jemma-T
    Disabling Remote Assistance from System Properties or Control Panel won't stop anything malicious getting in or out because there's lots of things to bypass that. People who want to control a network or bot setup aren't going to be stopped by a tick box and can't be stopped easily as they're already in your machine.

I doubt this scumbag company would do anything that would get them chased by the authorities but they'll surf as close to the line as they can with the proven hope idiots will queue up to give out their formerly private information.

I don't understand it really. You wouldn't let them in your front gate but you let them in your PC so they effectively become you as far as law enforcement is concerned. Not good.

If someone phones you and you don't know them tell them to f*** off. If it's your bank they'll understand and phone them back on a previously filed letter. If it's anyone else and it's important they will come to your house or send a letter.

The Internet's not a game.
  • I am happy with supportonclick as well. they have helped me install an anti virus in my machine. the support staff was efficient and friendly. he helped me install the anti virus in a few minutes. And the best part is you have to do nothing yourself. the whole thing is automated. Now I am happy with the anti virus security in my computer.

I can now surf the internet with peace of mind. thank you supportonclick.
  • I recommend that you all follow the discussion on the digitialtoast website as well

This company are now also trading as systemrecure.com or systemrecure.co.uk

The last poster "Ashpont" - also posted on the digital toast website as Ashley! It's the team trying to post as satisfied users! Although intelligent people reading this will realise that "Ashpont" is a fake users - I think it's still good to point this out just in case.
  • bubblesbonbon
    bubblesbonbon Posts: 800 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 July 2009 at 9:53AM
    ashpont wrote: »
    I am happy with supportonclick as well. they have helped me install an anti virus in my machine. the support staff was efficient and friendly. he helped me install the anti virus in a few minutes. And the best part is you have to do nothing yourself. the whole thing is automated. Now I am happy with the anti virus security in my computer.

I can now surf the internet with peace of mind. thank you supportonclick.

Are you saying that you have been using the Internet without an anti virus?

Do a full scan now, install a good firewall and then invest in a grammar checker.
    You can then pop over to the MSE Techie Forum and see how the security techies give excellent, clear advice for nowt (nothing)

Giving strangers free range within your machine is akin to keeping a ferret in your jockstrap - you will feel the pinch and you could risk compromising valuable property.
    "It's nice to be important but more important to be nice"

John Templeton 1912-2008
  • Jemma-T
    Domain Name: SYSTEMRECURE.COM

Registrant:
    System Recure
    Arun T Paul (systemrecure@gmail.com)
    56 A Pratapaditya place
    Kolkata
    West Bengal,700026
    IN