Credit check & energy supplier

Options
I'm looking at changing energy supplier before my fixed tariff runs out at the end of December.
I've been with the same supplier for over 2 years and pay by direct debit with no problems, but after reading an article on this site about suppliers' doing hard credit checks for new customers, I'm concerned that changing supplier will affect my credit rating. This is a particular concern as I am looking at mortgages in the coming months.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You don't have a credit rating. Just credit files that lenders will review.

A utility search won't cause them any concerns.

The magic numbers for the CRAs will probably plummet, but that doesn't matter, as they're made up.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't have a credit rating. Just credit files that lenders will review.

A utility search won't cause them any concerns.

The magic numbers for the CRAs will probably plummet, but that doesn't matter, as they're made up.

Do lenders see this as a 'utility search' or just 'a search'? Not all utility companies carry out credit checks. It might be a good idea to find one that doesn't, if they are also cheap :)
  • Shakin_Steve
    Options
    My supplier, EDF, doesn’t even report to the CRA’s.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quite a few of the smaller ones bill in advance, so no need for credit search on those, and they can be amongst the cheapest
  • eastbo
    Options
    I pay My Electricity & Gas by Direct Debit. I changed Suppliers 12 months ago. I've just had another invoice which shows I am £750 in credit. which to my way of thinking I'm being swindled. Why should they over charge me by £750 and earn interest on my money? They don't even come to read my meters' which are both computerised so they don't even have to read it just point a devise at the meter box and it's read. I don't need to be in credit I pay by direct debit si my bills are always paid. Can I demand my money back plus interest.?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No. But if you think you are over paying, provide meter readings and ask them to calculate your DD.
  • cjmillsnun
    Options
    No you can’t demand interest as the money is legally ringfenced in non interest earning accounts. You can however ask for a refund of the overpayments and for your direct debit to be set lower (even to a level of your choosing)
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure