Preparing for the biggest move of our life

Options

Comments

• Tinkerbelle2000
    Options
    bellevie wrote: »
    Whilst I am feeling a bit down about it, I did breathe a sigh of relief that it was doable and it could easily have been a lot worse if water had damaged electrics etc.

It also reminded me that 2 ish years ago I would have gone into complete meltdown, and although it was a very small savings pot at least it was there for me to turn to.

**touch wood no more emergencies**

You're doing great Bellevie, so glad that the money was there for you to be able to pay for it. There is nothing worse than been without a car. You will soon get your pots filled up again.

Tink xx
    As of 31st December 2018 Total Debt = £15837.59
    DEBT 1 - £41.10 DEBT 2 - £257.41 DEBT 3 - £584.12 DEBT 4 - £700.00
    DEBT 5 - £655.02 DEBT 6 - £669.18 DEBT 7 - £3448.00 DEBT 8 - £2169.12
    DEBT 9 - £2964.25 DEBT 10 - £4349.39
  • bellevie
    bellevie Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good day today.

I had a surprise back payment from tax credits, whilst I am cautious that my payments usually drop by a fair amount after a lump sum, it has meant I can put some money back in my savings.

I checked my bank account first thing so was quite sleepy - it certainly woke me up, and gave me a good start to the day.

Work was quiet, it was my overtime shift but I couldn't reach anyone I wanted to so essentially I just caught up with admin, then I got to leave early. I wanted to pick DD up from after-school club a little earlier - I felt bad that first day in and she is straight at breakfast club & after-school club. She was the only one in breakfast club which is normally heaving, I was very surprised that many parents managed to get the day/morning off!

I had an email from the agency I rent from that made me a little nervous, landlord has requested a surveyor attend and value the property. I really really hope it is for remortgaging and not to sell.

With that in mind I decided it will be better to put the larger amount in my emergency fund for now, until I build up for example 3 months rent. If I don't end up having to use it for another rental or car works the pot will still be there for when I do make the big move to my forever home.

I'll continue Christmas pot as DD's birthday is just before Christmas and I'm conscious that I only have 3 more paydays til then!:eek:

I updated my monthly spreadsheet that I have kept for years to include a weekly graph, I love seeing it change everytime I make slight adjustments!
    MFW
    Starting debt :£287,410 -11/2020

2022 Closing balance £271,402.45 

2023 closing balance £263140

Original end 11/2045 
    New end date :....... 

Overpayments to date £514.4 (1/24)

• bellevie
    Options
    Good day at work today. It was our yearly 'staff away' team building events etc.

It was good fun, they supplied endless tea, lots of nice snacks and nice lunch.

The activities were very fun and actually it turned fairly competitive. It was lovely to spend time with people that I don't get to talk to much.

I decided to do a foodshop, ordered online and collected from Sainsburys £28, that should get us through the week, plus a bag of fish and mince for the freezer which will last longer.

We had our cheat fakeaway pizza, £1.25 half price goodfella's bargain! I also ordered a second so next friday is set at the same price!

I am tired tonight, so going to get a good night sleep and surprise DD with a morning out at the park tomorrow.
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello lovely,
    Although you've had a few curveballs thrown at you this week (your car - ouch!) you've done so well at staying on top of everything. With Christmas and DD's birthday coming up in a few months, have you thought about doing anything for vouchers. I do swagbucks and, with wifi, can build up a little voucher fund fairly easily without it taking up all of my time. I watch the SBTV while I'm doing other things and over 3 months you may be able to build up a little help there?

How is it going with DD back to school now? Getting into routines, for me, is so difficult, so I feel for you. We'll both get there, I'm sure.

Lovely to catch up with your goings on. You're doing such a great job again! MTxx
  • bellevie
    bellevie Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi MT, I hope you had a fantastic holiday? I will catch up with your thread in a bit.

I did log onto swagbucks for the first time in easily over a year the other day, headed over to the videos - it looks a lot more time consuming than it did when I last done it, I'm sure the points have shrunk! That said every little helps you are right so I should get back into the swing of it.

I am saving my shop&scan vouchers from now onwards, I have some left on amazon already. I am planning to get smaller gifts this year, books, DVD's, puzzles, maybe a little equivalent of Polly pocket? I loved that at her age, Im not sure if it still exists even! The big present will be her bike. No idea how I am going to hide that now I'm working full time!

Routine hasn't been too bad, though its normally Wednesday night we wind down so I think Thursday morning may be a struggle. No homework yet so evenings have been relatively stress free! It all starts next week apparently...
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• bellevie
    Options
    Little bit of a panic over the past 2 days. I was due to get my housing benefit top up on Monday, it didn't arrive. I went into internal melt down, it took everything I had to keep calm getting us both ready for work & school Monday morning.

HB office doesn't open til 8.30, so I called the second I got to work. It was a mistake, they have reinstated it but they couldn't tell me when I will get the money I should have had.

On pay day, my current pay is wiped out by my rent, it comes in and goes straight out - my rent is actually £20 more per month than my pay. So when HB top up comes fortnightly I use that to replace my wages, pay childcare, petrol, council tax etc.

I have yet to transfer my emergency savings but if it doesn't reach me by the end of the week I will need to as I have to pay my childcare bill, and my current balance is way short of the £220 bill!

On a plus not its not long til pay day now, and with the overtime there *should* be some left over after rent so I should catch up with my self somehow.

I've reviewed Christmas budget, until I know how much overtime I will get I cant calculate how much I can put in, but I had a browse on my lunch break and I now have some budget ideas for my brother, wife & his 3 littlies.

I tried a little DIY and failed tonight GRRRR. I usually do everything myself, I've assembled drawers, wardrobes, beds, with a little bit of groaning I do eventually get there.

I've had a tension rod & curtain for the shower waiting to go up - easy of course. What I can not do for the life of me is remove my half shower screen, its too big for the room, we keep getting caught on the sharp corner bit where the seal has hardened - its sharp enough to have made DD bleed when she scratched her back the other week. I'm sure when the workmen came in to check the shower they told me it was removable, 'it pops out' they told me. Does it heck. I've tried in every angle I can and I can definitely confirm it does not 'pop out' the only 2 screws are in the wall, and they didn't unscrew it.

I've googled for hours but the fitting must be old as I cant find anything similar online.

The agency have a 'handy man' service, and I was actually going to contact them and ask for my curtain rail to be put up - the only DIY I usually fail at, and I cant be bothered with the usual malarkey of polyfilling numerous failed holes! From memory I think it was £25 per hour, so I can hopefully get them to put up the curtain pole and remove the shower screen in 1 hour?!

It will have to hold until my payday arrives so I can check I have spare funds first. If not, I may dip into my funds as my room was very cold last winter without proper curtains up.

Better get to bed now otherwise I wont be getting up in the morning!
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• bellevie
    Options
    Fantastic day at work, I love the department my overtime is in, and I absolutely know I would jump at the chance of a permanent role in that team. The job itself, is just so rewarding. The fact that I am able to make decisions to help those really in need and see the relief in their faces just gives me an immense feeling. I was hoping with universal credit taking effect they will review the team, but with the government snatching everything from us left right and centre heads are being cut in all departments. I think my chance may come up if one of the existing staff get promoted or move elsewhere. Still for now its brilliant experience.

£12 spent on 2 books for DD - one for birthday, the other for christmas. I chose Enid Blyton & Roald Dahl - my favourite authors as a child, I had hundreds and hundreds of books. I wish they had moved with me when I moved to my nan's as I would have loved to pass them all on.
    So my secret wish is that she too will fall in love with them, and I can re-live my childhood favourites!

Payday next week, I am counting down the days!
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• 12_month_challenge
    Options
    My favourite book when I was young was The Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton :)

I absolutely loved it and still remember it
    I still love reading now. Not enough children read books nowadays.

I hope she enjoys them
    SP 9#531=£620/SP 10 # 531=?PDBX 2016 #2 = £16,766.67/£12,000
    PDBX 2017 #2 = £1,200/£12,000

''If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain''
  • bellevie
    Options
    That's what I got her, it was one of my favourites and I thought it would be a good introduction!

My my, yesterday was a day! Had a couple of home visits at work, my afternoon apt cancelled so I left work early. Getting close to DD's school, a kind driver flashed and took me to the side, my brake lights have gone, but the handbrake light is on constantly. I checked brake fluid levels all ok. I think its going to be some sort of wiring or electrical fault possibly due to the leak I had which did go underneath my seat where there are electrics.

Luckily I was 1 road away from the nearest garage so I headed there. They couldn't fit it in for yesterday or today but could on Monday. Decided to leave car there as I couldn't bring myself to drive it home. The garage looked at me as if I was mad, but I have nearly gone into the back of someone before who's brake lights had gone. I just couldn't do it.

That lead to an eventful trip home with DD, 2 buses £6.95 and 2 hours for what would have been a 8 minute car drive. Granted 30 minutes of that was stopping at the post office where her Ikea desk I had ordered had been delivered to. The parcel was huge so I had no chance of taking it on the second bus.

We finally got home at 5.30, after me leaving work at 2.45.

I called parcel force they will go back and collect the parcel from the post office redeliver next Monday when I have a flexi day booked. I had prepared myself for a battle on the phone, so he instantly wiped away my bad mood.

Then I just felt so tired. I fell asleep watching Eastenders on the sofa, woke up at 9 and took myself off to bed. Woke up at 8 this morning feeling a lot calmer. I definitely needed that 12 hour sleep. I was just completely drained.

I have ordered a taxi to take DD to school Monday - its that or train & bus - I have to drop her off at 8 for breakfast club so we would need to leave at 7 its just too much! So I've estimated that will be £15 (based on previous quotes to go to a local garage).

Then a kind friend has offered to meet me close to DD's school to give me a lift in to work save me paying and waiting around for the half hourly bus!

Monday evening my boss has agreed I can leave early to make sure I catch the right bus back I will hopefully collect DD and go back home.

Another panic money wise. Tax credit letter arrived - they had incorrectly entered my childcare meaning the lump sum pay out was completely wrong. I called them corrected it, they didn't ask for lump sum back but said future payments will be amended to take it into account. I am so relieved I set it aside.

On a plus note, HB have since amended their mistake for the childcare costs they didn't take into account, so that has eased the blow of the tax credit mistake - and hopefully should be just enough to cover works on the car. I am praying its not another £250 job as that would have to go on the credit card. I also had a letter from them dropping my payments to close to zero based on the new 'incorrect tax credit entitlement'. So I am 'stress testing' my money via excel, working out what to do If the car runs into hundreds, HB isn't corrected quickly and tax credits drop to an unmanageable amount. I hate the unknown.

I keep saying the same thing to myself over and over again, I can not wait for the day I don't need tax Credits & HB.

I dream of my days as a single 25 year old, earning good money in complete control.
    Then comes Mr Ex, beautiful baby, chaos, jobless, moving and moving and moving to keep safe, drowning in debt.

Then I feel so guilty, I love DD, she is my everything and I know I would do it all again for her if I had to.
    Slowly over the past 4 years things started to improve, I found a little job, found a better one and then a better one. With the newest promotion I will be financially were I was before life turned crazy, so I know we are heading in the right direction.

Its just so bloody hard.
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ahhh bellevie, you're right, life can be so bloody hard at times, but every time you really do rise to the challenge and blow it out of the water.

Life can also be incredibly unfair, but I guess all we can do is just keep moving forwards. You're such an inspiration and such a positive influence in so many ways but I really do wish, particularly this week, that there was a magic formula to end the suffering of lovely people! It's just not right.

I hope the garage are kind to you and that the works aren't very expensive.

MTx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure