Halifax Collections and DMP headache

Options
Has anyone on a DMP had any problems with Halifax - particularly their Collections department? I just really need to vent! Here is my debt management plane diary so far:
  • September - set up a DMP with StepChange (I am eternally grateful to them btw!)
    All creditors accept apart from Halifax.
  • November - first payment went out. Halifax Collections ring me at work asking me if everything is ok as I have not paid my minimum payment on my credit card. I explained about StepChange and my DMP with them. Halifax say they have not received any proposals from StepChange. I contact StepChange, they say they've sent them my DMP to their website portal but the proposal was rejected.
  • December - second payment out. Halifax Collections ring me at work again basically saying the exact same things as their first phone call. I ring StepChange and the same conversation as above happens, except that when I contact Halifax Collections with StepChange's response, they insist that StepChange contact them BY PHONE. I inform Halifax that StepChange does not work that way (even I know that!)

Bottom line: Halifax insists they have not received any DMP proposal from StepChange. StepChange counter that they have evidence Halifax rejected my DMP in October. StepChange very kindly resent my DMP again in December while I was on the phone to them just to placate Halifax and my growing panic. I will contact Halifax Collections in a week's time to see if they have received my DMP.

I think what upsets me more is that Halifax have my mobile and home phone number but they ring my work place. I did all the above while in an open plan office and it was all I could do to stop getting hysterical.

Scrolling through this forum I cannot seem to find anyone else who have had experience with Halifax Collections. I cannot be the only one! :( Thank you for listening.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 December 2017 at 12:33AM
    Options
    They are just been awkward beggars, in future stay off the phone to them, I’d send a letter, again informing them of the DMP, but also tell them to remove your phone numbers from there systems, and to only contact you in writing in future.

I’d also stop going from piller to post with them over payments as well, if they don’t
    like your proposals, they will simply sell the debt on, a solution which may benefit both parties to be honest.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi JenDom

Do you remember ever giving Halifax your work number? Either way, you are entitled to ask for all contact in writing in future. Or you could ask them to only use one of the other numbers you provided, whatever you feel comfortable with. If they ignore your request consider making a complaint, this can be taken on the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) should you need to.

With regards to the DMP, creditors don't have to agree to take part but I agree the confusing part is why they are saying they haven't received the offer from Stepchange. It sounds like some kind of breakdown in communication along the way.

As sourcrates says, the most likely option if Halifax continue to refuse the offer is the debt will be passed to a debt collection agency (DCA). You might actually find Stepchange have more luck dealing with them. A DMP is an easy way for a DCA to get a fair, regular payment towards the debt. Try not to worry about the situation, but if you are still concerned have a chat with Stepchange.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • JenDom
    Options
    Hello

Just an update - Halifax have finally said (in writing!) that they have received my DMP proposal and are now setting in motion all the necessary steps they have to legally go through as happened with all my other creditors. Hopefully I can now move on to actually paying them all off as I fully intend to do.

Thank you Sourcrates and Susie for your kind replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure