Reclaim CPP article discussion

Options

Comments

• raysmith8
    Options
    In my case I bought the cover direct from CPP who apparently were not regulated by the Financial Ombudsman at the time. Has anyone had a claim against CPP dating before 2005 agreed by the Ombudsman?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 October 2016 at 2:56PM
    Options
    raysmith8 wrote: »
    Has anyone had a claim against CPP dating before 2005 agreed by the Ombudsman?
    No one has had pre 2005 complaints upheld by FOS because the Ombudsman has no authority for that time period. Regulation began January 2005.

You appear to have complained, been declined and then informed that you have no recourse to the Ombudsman. If this is accurate your complaint is now over, regardless of how others may have done.

Did you complain direct to CPP or the card provider?
  • raysmith8
    Options
    Both, banks refered me to CPP
  • mjohnson95925
    Options
    Hi all,

This is my first post, in fact this was the first thing I've ever done in trying to save money from MSE.

I had a Halifax account for 6 years, from when I was 19-25. I filled in the form on this website and sent it to Halifax's complains department, I was called back by their team within a couple of hours.

I explained over the phone why I felt as though I was mis-sold this packaged bank account, which I barely used most of the added features. He told me that this alone was not a good enough reason to warrant a refund however they could not prove that I wasn't mis-sold the bank account in that it was the only way I could get an overdraft.
    Because of this, I received nearly £1300 including interest for my Halifax Ultimate Reward account that I had been paying £15 a month for!

It's definitely worth trying this and my advise would be to say that you were mis-sold it because the advisor said it was the only way you could get an overdraft.

I hope many other people succeed like I did with this!

• magpiecottage
    Options
    raysmith8 wrote: »
    Both, banks refered me to CPP
    Did the banks sell you the CPP cover or did you get it direct from CPP?

If the banks sold it to you then you can take them to FOS.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    It's definitely worth trying this and my advise would be to say that you were mis-sold it because the advisor said it was the only way you could get an overdraft.
    If that is not true, you risk committing an offence under section 2 of the Fraud Act 2006.

If it is true, it is still an unsubstantiated allegation.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

This is my first post, in fact this was the first thing I've ever done in trying to save money from MSE.

I had a Halifax account for 6 years, from when I was 19-25. I filled in the form on this website and sent it to Halifax's complains department, I was called back by their team within a couple of hours.

I explained over the phone why I felt as though I was mis-sold this packaged bank account, which I barely used most of the added features. He told me that this alone was not a good enough reason to warrant a refund however they could not prove that I wasn't mis-sold the bank account in that it was the only way I could get an overdraft.
    Because of this, I received nearly £1300 including interest for my Halifax Ultimate Reward account that I had been paying £15 a month for!

I hope many other people succeed like I did with this!

This topic is for CPP not packaged bank accounts

Clue is in the topic title :)
  • steviedee30
    Options
    Is there anyway of finding out what card my original Sentinel scheme was taken out with. It was so long ago I can't remember. I've actually found the letter sent to me I stupidly thought it was spam. It's quite possible however I may have taken the insurance before 2005 but I've switched cards so many times that I'm unsure who it might be with. Thanks in advance
  • Quovadisuk
    Options
    I raised a complaint to Halifax several years ago who initially rejected the claim . Having found older archived statements and read further information on claims I made a claim again in December 2016 .i proved the case by the documentations found In this instance, they have agreed with the complaint and repaid the premiums by cheque plus interest since 2009 . which amounts to just over £400. with no liability admitted Whist I am very happy in the result . I am still aggrieved that I was badly mis sold and misled in the first place , and also for the first complaint being rejected. and although I have had my premiums repaid . I do feel there should have been a higher amount given for the all this as well for the time and stress to find all the payments made since 2009 ... am I being fair ? To me , they have been reluctant to accept the case , but with the overwhelming evidence , had to agree a case was evident , but have given the very minimum amount to slip the hook as it were .. should I take it further ?
  • Hargreaves1910
    Options
    I have found a Renewal notice from CPP dated November 2001 for 6 cards that were covered at the time, some with Lloyds Bank, others with RBS and Co-op. I opened the account in the early 90's and took out the CPP because it was included in the letters when I received my cards. I read somewhere that CPP had written to people wanting to claim but I never received a letter from them. I then saw that the claim scheme is now closed. Does that mean that I have no chance of putting in a claim? My account was active up until about 2004.

Many Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport