PPI on Store card delayed decisions

I submitted a PPI claim via Santander for my Debenhams store card taken out in 1999. The 8 weeks deadline has come and gone now so i contacted them to find out what's happening. The y have told me that the matter is now with the insurer to determine if any more claims for cards taken out pre 2005 can be upheld. The lady explained that the FCA and the FOS are aware and even if i was to submit my claim to the FOS it wont go anywhere until the insurer have made a final decision. She said this could be months or even years before the decision is made.

Does anyone know much more about this decision or if its worth taking them to the FOS? I thought you only had 6 months to refer the matter to the FOS?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You have 6 months from their final decision. They haven't yet given you their decision.
  • pieman6 wrote: »
    if its worth taking them to the FOS?
    You can refer the complaint if you want now that the eight weeks have passed, but doing so is unlikely to speed up the process and, of course, will not guarantee the outcome will go in your favour. I'd hold off from referring just yet if I were you, though I agree telling you that the decision may take months "or even years" is not acceptable.
  • EOP
    EOP Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Also spoke to them yesterday (5/12/17) and they said that they are now dealing with them in turn. Can not in the life of me understand how they can no longer consider Upholding pre 2005 accounts as they previously upheld complaints from accounts held those particular years.
    Hasn't the "precedent" been set??? And therefore wouldn't it be unfair on the future complainants?
  • Deewm76
    Deewm76 Posts: 23 Forumite
    I submitted a claim to Santander 3 weeks ago (store card taken out in 1997 and paid off in full around 2001). I chased them up yesterday and they confirmed that they had received my complaint and where investigating if PPI was miss sold??? After reading this thread I feel completely fobbed off (they are deliberately withholding this information).
  • Deewm76
    Phoned Santander just now, they confirmed that Store card PPI claims (pre 2005) are indeed on hold. Advisor confirmed that ombudsman are aware of this (in otherwise) don't even waste your time re-directing your complaint to them after 8 weeks.
  • Deewm76 wrote: »
    I submitted a claim to Santander 3 weeks ago (store card taken out in 1997 and paid off in full around 2001). I chased them up yesterday and they confirmed that they had received my complaint and where investigating if PPI was miss sold??? After reading this thread I feel completely fobbed off (they are deliberately withholding this information).
    They probably are investigating(???). but it's only been 3 weeks since you complained.
    Depending on their decision, you may have to then wait for the decision of the insurers. What do you feel 'fobbed off' about?
  • Deewm76
    They probably are investigating(???). but it's only been 3 weeks since you complained.
    Depending on their decision, you may have to then wait for the decision of the insurers. What do you feel 'fobbed off' about?

I was fobbed off by Santander (when they confirmed to me that it was investigating my claim) when it fact it's on hold (as of all pre 2005 store card claims). They also confirmed that they have sat with this information since last week (when there insurance company stopped paying out). Withholding information (when relevant) is being fobbed off (in my eyes) along with not putting this relevant/important customer information on it's website/public domain.
  • They have 8 weeks to respond to your complaint, it doesn't sound like there was really any 'fobbing' going on :)

You'll have to wait for their response.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2017 at 2:56PM
    Deewm76 wrote: »

I was fobbed off by Santander (when they confirmed to me that it was investigating my claim) when it fact it's on hold (as of all pre 2005 store card claims). They also confirmed that they have sat with this information since last week (when there insurance company stopped paying out). Withholding information (when relevant) is being fobbed off (in my eyes) along with not putting this relevant/important customer information on it's website/public domain.

That's certainly untrue as my neighbour received her repayment this week from an historic Arcadia group store that Santander have taken over the liability for and have been paying out in respect of over the past couple of years (Burton, TopShop, DP, etc).

However, as you may have seen in recent days on other threads, there does appear to be a current 'hold' specifically in relation to Debenhams' store card claims from the 1990s onwards.

It's only happened in recent days so that probably explains why there's no mention of it on the Santander site.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,359 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I was fobbed off by Santander (when they confirmed to me that it was investigating my claim) when it fact it's on hold (as of all pre 2005 store card claims).
    That is not fobbing off. They are investigating. They are investigating whether they, the underwriter or nobody has liability for the sale.

This is only affecting some cards where liability is unsure.

. They also confirmed that they have sat with this information since last week (when there insurance company stopped paying out). Withholding information (when relevant) is being fobbed off (in my eyes) along with not putting this relevant/important customer information on it's website/public domain.

A week is no time. Decisions like this involve solicitors, directors, the regulator and the ombudsman as well as the third party companies. Expecting the issues they are looking at into the public domain is naive. They also must not be seen to deter complaints. So, they can continue to accept the complaints and put them on hold until the outcome is decided.

This sort of thing is not unusual. Lots of people over the last decade have had to wait years in some cases to get an outcome. So, 3 weeks for you is nothing in comparison
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure