Sell your story/letters/photos... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Hi, i sent my daughters photo into a magazine and theyre publishing it. Shell get £25!
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • redballoon_2
    redballoon_2 Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    do you just comment on the headlines / story itsself?
    Make £10 a day challenge March 2013 £101.24 / £240 :j
    WSC 10 March - £0 / £5
    Debt £17,294 - 7th March
  • Every week I looked at the cute baby & funny pics in Take a Break and thought what an easy way to make a £100. I had a really nice photo of my daughter (10months dressed as tigger with a tigger sitting next to her) e-mailed to them and bob's your uncle. The photo was printed in feb this year a cheque arrived a couple of weeks later.:money:

If only they'd print one a week!

I was inspired by this story so I thought I would have a go at selling my story about the lovely way me and my boyfriend met through a car sale on Ebay! I emailed Pick Me Up the story and within an hour or two they rang me, confirmed the story and I got £150 for my short story!! :j Easiest £150 I have ever made, and it's really exciting! I thought nothing would really happen, thinking thousands of people must send in stories. It just goes to show - You never know until you try! :T
    Grab all that you can!!! :p
  • flippy178
    flippy178 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Hi there

The Guardian publishes a Family section on Saturdays which pays £75 (I think) for small contributions about family life, one based around a family picture, one based around a recipe, and one based around a memorable day. I haven't done it myself but I've often thought it would be good for MSEers. I think you can also get paid for sending in a fictional letter to someone.

Also, on the back page of the Guardian magazine there is a weekly photo competition and you can win a camera. You don't even have to send a new photo, lots of people seem to send old ones in.

Good luck!

sorry if it's been in before, I did search but couldn't see it.
  • www.soldieringon.com

I have a story but I can't get any publishers interested - I'm sure someone would like to publish it as it's a very current topic!

If anyone knows anyone or is interested themselves then please message me!
  • an amazing touching story, can't believe publishers are not interested. Have you consider maybe appealing for one by going onto something like 'this morning' tv programme or say gmtv with lorraine kelly etc, to get it out there?

I lived at headley court for a few years, my ex husband was RAF and worked there, it is lovely grounds isnt it.

all the best and I hope you get something moving on the story aspect soon

Helen
    xx
  • flippy178
    flippy178 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Hi James

What about trying a local paper from where you grew up or where you live now? They are always looking for topical human interest stories. I live near Yeovil where lots of military families are based and I think the impact of the current military actions is really under reported.

If you want payment yourself then you would need to write it and then send it them - put "copyright" with your name on it. Otherwise they will just interview you. However, if you want to do a book, then getting an interview might alert a publisher to your story.

The father and son aspect of your story is really interesting and very moving.

Perhaps it might be better to put the diary entries on one long page like a blog rather than separate pages. It would be quicker and easier to read without clicking through lots of pages.

Hope this helps
  • feeling
    feeling Posts: 13 Forumite
    Dumb question, but where on the Sun's website do I send my stories in for this £10?!?
  • bonsibabe
    bonsibabe Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    James, 100% respect for what you have been through, had a quick read. I loved the photos of paddy's day! Being from Inverness, and having met my DH whilst he was serving at the fort, it brought back some lovely memories of home. Good luck! xx
    LBM - August 2008 - Debts then - £33390 :eek:- 2nd LBM - November 2009 - Debts then - £18500:mad:
    Current debt levels: OD £3860, Loan 1 £6091, Loan 2 £5052, Parents £260, Total £16133 :eek: As at 01 May 2012 - 51.69% paid off :j
    Aiming for a No Spend Christmas 2012!
  • emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Every week I looked at the cute baby & funny pics in Take a Break and thought what an easy way to make a £100. I had a really nice photo of my daughter (10months dressed as tigger with a tigger sitting next to her) e-mailed to them and bob's your uncle. The photo was printed in feb this year a cheque arrived a couple of weeks later.:money:

If only they'd print one a week!

I cant see on their website, how to submit a photo?
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure