On-line dating experiences?

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Oakdene wrote: »
    Aw well at least she was honest enough to say that you rather than to just ghost you.

My best-worst first date story involved meeting someone who then decided to snort some cocaine she had in a restuarant & then went missing!!

I do like the fun of dates just for the various experiences and characters, only just before xmas, one from 100 miles away was messaging, soon went onto whats app, she phoned and later without prompt was sending pics that left nowt to imagine (other than if only those weren't pierced yuk!) next day she messaged and then blocked me on whats app, didn't say anything I only knew as the profile pic had vanished off what's app.

I guess from reading earlier posts having a technical job is a right put off for many :rotfl:
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm ashamed to say with one date I said I was going to the loo but actually went to my car and drove away. I just had a bad feeling. Trust your instincts.

LOL!
    I know someone who arranged a date. He arrived early and then got a phone call from the date asking ‘are you the one holding a blue umbrella’ He said yes then she just hung up and didn’t make herself known.
    I guess she was put off by his goth-like appearance but his pics clearly showed this.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I signed up for on-line dating at the end of last year. Been on one date, and all going to plan, I've said yes to a second date. Chatting to a few people, my profile pictures are decent (and up to date) and my profile is fairly well written.

Something doesn't feel quite right about it. On-line dating seems quite cold compared to meeting someone in real life. I met my ex on an internship programme abroad.

I find it stressful keeping up multiple conversations, people who don't respond and seem to end up with quite a few pen pals despite the idea being to go out on dates!. I also feel uncomfortable that the guys I go on dates with are talking to multiple people as well, even though I am too.

Has anyone else tried it and felt the same? Any positive experiences?

I've paid for 6 months but might not renew after that. I'd much prefer to meet someone through a hobby or similar but I'm 30 now and I do want to have kids so I'm worried that time isn't on my side. My close friends are all in long term relationships have never used online dating so they don't understand, as much as they try to.

Heres the thing, women just need a profile to get some contact even if its a badly written one, men on the other hand need to put a lot of effort in to get a response unless they are of the highest looks and very confident but then they wouldn't need to use a dating site to meet someone, creates problems for both sexes as often the men who fit that description are just looking for a good time yet they are a womans first choice and she gets hurt so she is even more picky (except on looks) creating a endless cycle of problems for both sexes.

A genuine guy is likely to be chatting to more than one woman as he knows how difficult it is for men to meet someone online, doesn't mean he is a player.

And what I have heard from other men is that if a woman who is out of many mens leagues has a profile and profile pictures that makes her look like a model, either its a fake profile, or more likely the woman is a scammer who just wants someone to pay for her, or she is high maintenance, sure make yourself look good in pictures but if you look too good it raises suspicions.

So this is a mans experience and his friends experience.
  • zarabelle
    zarabelle Posts: 25 Forumite
    Ten years ago, I met my husband on Match.com. I was chatting to lots of people but never getting to the meeting up part. I did finally schedule a date with a lovely guy, only to be stood up on the day. He completely disappeared. I decided to take some time off but rejoined a few months later. I changed my profile, cut down on the information I gave and made a resolution to get off the on-line chat ASAP. This worked a treat and I met my husband a few days after getting back on the site.

I know the dating landscape has changed a lot since then but I still think on-line dating is a good way to meet people. You might have to change your approach. I'd recommend looking at your profile like a marketing campaign. Everything has to have a purpose, every photo showing a different side of you.

As I said, I went with a less is more approach and my profile had very little information about me, just some nice pictures and a tagline that reflected my personality.
  • Thought I would add my tuppence worth to this thread!

I have had several dates through online dating, and met my ex boyfriend online (POF). I was with him for 2 years, but unfortunately he turned out to be a compulsive liar and cheater. To top it all off, when I had told him I'd had enough and was leaving him, he physically assaulted me (great way to make someone stay with you - not!!!). I stuck to my guns and left him!

There have been a few guys who I seemed to get on really well with, we exchanged numbers and even went on a date or two. One of those guys I had 3 dates with - things were going well. Then I didn't hear from him for over a month, so assumed he was not interested and I moved on. One day I get a random message from him which was merely a clown face emoji! Apparently he was offended that I took offence to not hearing from him for over a month after having 3 seemingly good, fun dates. He had no excuse as to why he didn't message/call either.

I have had many experiences of "ghosting" from online prospects, and have had far too many "hook up" offers which I have never been interested in! So all in all, it hasn't been a great experience for me personally, and I have now come off dating sites.

I have heard good things though from other people who have had success with online dating, so I would say don't knock it til you try it!
    Credit Card: £5350 (£5210 remaining)
    Overdraft: £1498.68
    Loan 1: £5000 (£2252.26 remaining)
    Loan 2: £1656.90 - PAID!! :j
    Very: £703.97 (£553.97 remaining)
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge: £291.51/£2018
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    DUTR wrote: »
    Nearly but not quite, I once arranged a date, she turned up and looked very different to her pics

Was it the same woman?
    DUTR wrote: »
    I guess from reading earlier posts having a technical job is a right put off for many :rotfl:

Not really sure why! Most women would list a requirement of the men they look for as 'intelligent' and having a highly technical job somewhat guarantees a level of intelligence. I also thought geek was somewhat in at the moment. :p
  • Gavin83 wrote: »
    Not really sure why! Most women would list a requirement of the men they look for as 'intelligent'
    I thought they were only interested in a big pe....rsonality.
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The job thing is an interesting one. I’ve heard many people say they couldn’t date someone with a low level job (such as retail, factory, waitressing). I don’t think I’m as fussy about someone’s job.

Having said that though, one of my cousins was in a long term relationship with a paramedic. In the end, it was his shift work and intensity of the job that got to her. Apparently many emergency services workers marry each other as only they understand the value of their work and the dedication that’s required with it. Therefore I think I would prefer someone who worked a similar pattern to me, but if we both prioritise days off and annual leave for each other that would be work-able.
  • DUTR
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    Was it the same woman?

Not really sure why! Most women would list a requirement of the men they look for as 'intelligent' and having a highly technical job somewhat guarantees a level of intelligence. I also thought geek was somewhat in at the moment. :p

It was the same woman, but I'd say the pics were a good few years old.
    As for the career, thinking back now, many that have been chatting , have vanished not long after exchanging career types, I guess its perhaps it's to do with the social grade mismatch ???
  • DUTR
    I'm not, I'm simply replying to the people who message me. I don't know how it works from a guy's perspective but from what I've heard, they don't simply focus on one woman at a time and are talking to several. What are they doing back on-line after asking for a second date if they are only focusing on one person at a time?

It's good that you actually reply, not many do bother to reply but I can understand that as one time a woman I dated showed me her account and she had over 50 messages on that day alone, she simply didn't have time to go through them all and simply deleted the lot.
    'They' say there are 7 guys to every woman on the sites, factor in other variables and it would more fruitful to message many to get a chance of a chat which may lead to a date which may lead to a succesful relationship.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure