16 and moving out to go to 6th form

Comments

• john240870 wrote: »
    What happens if the bank of mum and dad can't afford the help out does the child have to miss out. By reading this I expect the original posters daughter may have a skill that only a few schools can accommodate. Maybe the original poster could share.

Yes she would have to miss out. It's a parents responsibility to care for their children and they get various benefits to support them to do so.
  • dave030445
    dave030445 Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    john240870 wrote: »
    What happens if the bank of mum and dad can't afford the help out does the child have to miss out. By reading this I expect the original posters daughter may have a skill that only a few schools can accommodate. Maybe the original poster could share.

Yes my Daughter is at a very high level in a sport and is only trying to better herself. Iam disabled and my wife is my carer. we don't have the sort of money needed to help her.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    dave030445 wrote: »
    Yes my Daughter is at a very high level in a sport and is only trying to better herself. Iam disabled and my wife is my carer. we don't have the sort of money needed to help her.
    Did she start at her college yesterday?
  • dave030445
    Spendless wrote: »
    Did she start at her college yesterday?

No of course not how can she start if we can not afford her rent.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    What did the school say when you asked about funding?

What is her back up plan?
  • Spendless
    No of course not how can she start if we can not afford her rent.
    I should imagine she's incredibly dissappointed if she thought last Thursday/Friday (when you posted) she'd be starting in less than a week, only to discover she can't go.

When my eldest went to his FE college, we had to fill out a form to say where he was studying and what, to ensure his course was one where we could continue to receive CB. I'd have thought checking your entitlement would be the first step. If you were still eligble, then some of the money could have been used towards her costs, as she wouldn't be costing you as much. Would you be saving money on any sports clubs that she does out of school? It's rare that just a school (ie free) produces the standard of sportmanship required to be playing at a top level (the same is true of dancing/music/drama etc - most are also training outside of school). Is her finding a part-time job an option to help with costs.

Some dancers go away to train at 16, some of the dance colleges have been able for their students to claim housing benefit, even after new rules came in, but it seems very hit and miss from council to council. Colleges can also offer bursaries, unlikely to be the full amount but perhaps something towards to it. Did you talk to the college about any of the costs involved and how it would be funded.
  • Spendless
    Dave

Here, some info about housing benefit for certain students. Check with the college if you're unsure what her course/accommodation classes as.

https://www.nihe.gov.uk/index/benefits/housingbenefit/housing_benefit_advice/students.htm
  • dave030445
    One very unhappy girl today has started back at her old school in 6th form were she will not be pushed to do well just allowed to plod along. No wonder we don't have good sports people in this country there is just not the help these girls/boys need. :mad:
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    One very unhappy girl today has started back at her old school in 6th form were she will not be pushed to do well just allowed to plod along. No wonder we don't have good sports people in this country there is just not the help these girls/boys need. :mad:

It seems there is the help at the college you wanted her to attend. Someone else will have taken her place. It is a shame that it isn't open to all, but life isn't always fair.

Sometimes a situation needs to be managed, I'm not sure it is fair to let someone go through the application/ admission process if there is no way that you can afford to send her. It does sound a bit like sitting a child for 11+ entrance exams for private school with no way to pay the fees.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    O No wonder we don't have good sports people in this country there is just not the help these girls/boys need. :mad:

No, we don't have any successful sports people in this country at all, do we?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36959780
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport