PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Comments

• Has it struck anyone that all this talk about "Tenants have all the rights/are totally free to break any agreement they make/etc/etc" isn't doing decent tenants or would-be tenants any good at all?

Reason being - would-be landlords/ladies will read threads like this and think "Well - if that's how the cookie crumbles = then I'd better invest my money someplace else than a buy-to-let - in case I get tenants like these and everyone supports the wrong person and/or the law supports the wrong person".

It's certainly been a "last straw" to me as to whether I would ever let out a house if I had the money to have the chance to. I've gone from "maybe/possibly" to "most definitely not - just in case if this sort of thing happening to me".

That "be on the side of the wrong person - and they can use the law to help themselves too" way of thinking must have caused rather a lot fewer rented places to be available than otherwise would be.:cool:

....and it's a shame from the pov of decent/law-abiding/contract-abiding tenants:(
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    When running a business it's best to understand all possibilities. Then there's fewer surprises.
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    where has anyone said tenants have all the rights? you can look and see countless threads from tenants who have to move for various reasons, but the landlords have exercised their right to charge them for the remaining tenancy. some landlords that leave houses in unfit states just because they can - need we remind everyone that the government voted against legislation to make every private rental fit for human habitation just last year? so a landlord has to provide a gas safety certificate, yes, but can rent a moldy property with no ventilation.

both sides have rights. there's pros and cons to both. there's good and bad landlords. good and bad tenants.

people in this thread were just pointing out the various rights tenants have because the OP wanted to evict tenants for maybe having a dog. which is not the law.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Has it struck anyone that all this talk about "Tenants have all the rights/are totally free to break any agreement they make/etc/etc" isn't doing decent tenants or would-be tenants any good at all?

Reason being - would-be landlords/ladies will read threads like this and think "Well - if that's how the cookie crumbles = then I'd better invest my money someplace else than a buy-to-let - in case I get tenants like these and everyone supports the wrong person and/or the law supports the wrong person".

It's certainly been a "last straw" to me as to whether I would ever let out a house if I had the money to have the chance to. I've gone from "maybe/possibly" to "most definitely not - just in case if this sort of thing happening to me".

That "be on the side of the wrong person - and they can use the law to help themselves too" way of thinking must have caused rather a lot fewer rented places to be available than otherwise would be.:cool:

....and it's a shame from the pov of decent/law-abiding/contract-abiding tenants:(

As a tenant I'm very pleased that you (and others like you) might draw this conclusion.

I would not want a landlord who thought they should have the right to control my family planning! My god...

I'd rather properties remained in the hands of landlords who have a clue or were released onto the market for first-time buyers. So please, if you end up considering this in real life, sell up for all our sakes and invest your money elsewhere.
  • I KNOW that they have a dog because the woman has admitted it to me, she just claims that it isn't legally their dog and that it is not there

They have admitted that they have a dog, but it isn't theirs and it isn't there? In what way then have they admitted they have a dog? I know plenty of dogs than are not mine and are not in my house, I don't really feel I "have" them.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Has it struck anyone that all this talk about "Tenants have all the rights/are totally free to break any agreement they make/etc/etc" isn't doing decent tenants or would-be tenants any good at all?

Having fewer amateur BTLers out there is no bad thing at all!
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    They have admitted that they have a dog, but it isn't theirs and it isn't there? In what way then have they admitted they have a dog? I know plenty of dogs than are not mine and are not in my house, I don't really feel I "have" them.

Maybe its their friend Schrodinger's dog?
  • They have admitted that they have a dog, but it isn't theirs and it isn't there? In what way then have they admitted they have a dog? I know plenty of dogs than are not mine and are not in my house, I don't really feel I "have" them.

The actual quote was, "I KNOW that they have a dog because the woman has admitted it to me, she just claims that it isn't legally their dog (I will add a comma here to make it clearer), and that it is not there when I have directly conflicting evidence that it is."

I.e. perhaps obviously, I know that it is there, because of the unasked-for but constant stream of alerts and photos from my neighbour showing otherwise. Couldn't care less if it is 'owned' by her or someone else or if it has come from the woods of its own accord to huff and puff and blow my house down, if it is there inside the property
  • Riggyman
    Riggyman Posts: 185 Forumite
    Let's say they were running a brothel in there (I am deliberately exaggerating to make a point), it would be raided and shut down and the guilty parties prosecuted and taken into custody.

Wouldn't end the tenancy and give reason for eviction though.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How can you possibly think that drip feeding would reduce your tax bill? Income tax is calculated on your income within the tax year, whether it's paid in one lump sum or in monthly instalments.
    Who has been handling your tax returns in the past, since you have apparently been self employed?
    BTW, my comments about a cannabis farm were entirely serious: how did the tenants otherwise come to pay not only 12m rent upfront but £4K deposit as well? I'm guessing they paid out a lump sum of maybe £28K in total? Did you ask the agent to find someone who would pay upfront?
    The people who 'front' such farms are of course well dressed, have impeccable (fake) references and cash upfront. They are not of course the people who actually tend the farm.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport