£250 deposit to reserve car while I get inspection - hmm?

I was interested in a car but I wanted to look at it myself first then get ClickMechanic (or some such) to inspect it for me - the car supermarket say (on the phone - today - I have a test drive scheduled for tomorrow) that they want a £250 deposit if I want them to hold the car until I can get the inspection organised and the written report back - I couldn't get a straight answer about what happens to the deposit if the report says don't buy - I'd hope that any problems found would be minor (not enough to dictate not buying it) and that I could get the garage to agree to fix them (yes - I know there could be some contentions but I'm just trying my best to buy something when I know a little but not much about cars).

Does this seem fair and reasonable? How can I best protect myself? Is there anything I can negotiate for in this situation or do I have little choice but to either accept the arrangement or walk away now without bothering to see the car? Is there a better or different way to organise buying this car.

This is a large well established garage and from what I can see, they seem to have a reasonable reputation - almost everything you look at on the internet in terms of reviews has some negative reviews, some are fake no doubt and reviews are going to be skewed by the negative reports - people make more effort to post negative as opposed to positive reviews.

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's perfectly reasonable for the seller to require a deposit to hold the car. You need to get the terms in writing to ensure it's refundable.
  • Yes - I can understand that they are losing the opportunity to sell it while we wait for a report but it sounded like if I decide not to buy because the report advises me not to I would not be able to get my deposit back. I would have thought I had a perfectly good reason for not wanting to go through with the purchase. Maybe I'm best not bothering - I didn't have this problem with another garage - they were happy for me to have the car inspected by my garage down the road after I test drove a car before I committed to buy - no deposit, nothing - i agreed that before the test drive - unfortunately I didn't like the car - underpowered for a 1.2 and a very uncertain gearbox.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just make sure that you get it in writing, that if the report highlights any serious faults then they will either put these faults right at their expense, or else refund your deposit in full. I guess the sticking point comes in defining what a "serious" problem is. Perhaps put a monetary value on it ? Something like "Any faults highlighted by the report that will cost more than £50", or whatever ?
  • Perfectly reasonable, you are asking them to take the car off sale whilst you organise an independent inspection yet want to make no commitment to buy it's quite normal to pay a deposit then the balance when you collect the car so I can't see your issue.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Rubidium87 wrote: »
    Yes - I can understand that they are losing the opportunity to sell it while we wait for a report but it sounded like if I decide not to buy because the report advises me not to I would not be able to get my deposit back. I would have thought I had a perfectly good reason for not wanting to go through with the purchase. Maybe I'm best not bothering - I didn't have this problem with another garage - they were happy for me to have the car inspected by my garage down the road after I test drove a car before I committed to buy - no deposit, nothing - i agreed that before the test drive - unfortunately I didn't like the car - underpowered for a 1.2 and a very uncertain gearbox.

I don't think a report advises to buy or not, just an in depth inspection.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes - I can understand that they are losing the opportunity to sell it while we wait for a report but it sounded like if I decide not to buy because the report advises me not to I would not be able to get my deposit back

So just make sure it's a 'refundable deposit'. Or take your chances and arrange the inspection without holding the car.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    But if they lose a sale while holding the car for you and you don't buy it they have lost money. Your deposit would be to off sett hat loss.
  • robotrobo
    robotrobo Posts: 921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    almillar wrote: »
    So just make sure it's a 'refundable deposit'. Or take your chances and arrange the inspection without holding the car.

Do as almillar sugests, the chance of someone comeing along and snapping it up before you will be remote.
    do it this way and keep the pressure and worry off yourself.
    Theres millions of cars for sale
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport