Breaking Through, Travelling On

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh thats an excellent tip, greent, thank you! There's a lot of stuff thats sitting around waiting to be sold, and between the clogged atmosphere and the constant energy required for such little return, I'd rather get shut.

I've just freaked out completely realising I've made a huge cup mark on a wooden table :eek: I've lathered it in teak oil as per this linkie http://thecleanerhome.com/blog/how-to-remove-cup-ring-marks-from-wooden-furniture/

so we'll see.

Right, I'm actually going to be doing some writing this aftie, or at least getting back in the groove ... laterz
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Complete agree with the time vs a few extra pennies KC, it's hard to decide to get rid of things a bit cheaper than you would have liked (I take most clothes to the charity shop now). Like to think it helps the charity though, as well as giving me more time!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Even those little bits of extra money would be nice, earthgirl, but the time is disproportionate. I have a few books that I bought online that are first editions from the 1930s, so I'll probably try to sell those myself again, but the rest can go, as quickly as possible.

Today, I'm off taking pics of cats in London, I think - there's a cluster near Euston - a plaque to a loved pet, the Carreras Cigarette Factory, and part of a stained glass panel. Two of the three would be good.

Going to be following the election a bit more closely now, unusually for me - the friend I saw on Sunday is standing for election, zero chance of being elected (a safe seat for the Conservatives), but standing up for the principle of giving people choice.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    I got lots of pix of the Carreras Factory, and a few of the stained glass panel - and walked round an area of London I rarely get to. Interesting mix of small scale businesses and "regeneration" around Euston. Gave me some interesting additional ideas for the kindle books.

Plus I went back on the bus :D so I saw lots.

"Home" day today - transport research, writing, fun stuff :j
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hope you enjoyed your "fun stuff" :)
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Yep! Went a walkies ... saw a heron, I'm not kidding, on the River Wandle! As well as swans :)

Currently binge watching Masterchef, Orphan Black and Designated Survivor: Kiefer Sutherland as President, who knew Jack Bauer had more to give :D it's not Jack Bauer :D.

More travels today - looking at art works in central London that are cats. I can only find one online in the National Gallery, I'll check out the Portrait Gallery this morning.

Hope everyone's having a good week. If anyone has any info on marks on wooden furniture :o:o:o they aren't disappearing with teak oil and elbow grease :o:eek::o:eek::o:eek: I'm getting scared now, though I don't think they're all caused by me, actually.
    Save
    Save
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Ooh, sounds like you're enjoying your cat travels! :j :j

No advice about cup rings I'm afraid :( If there are a few though, it may be that they're not that bothered about such things? I know I'm not, and the people I know who are, generally have coasters. Maybe see if you can do some investigating about other potentially cup-ringed surfaces in the house before you spend too much time scrubbing :eek: xx
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    There's a lot of yootoob videos about it, but I've never tried anything myself, so can't offer any advice :(. Would second having a quick peek around for other potential cup-ringed surfaces x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 13 May 2017 at 8:53AM
    Options
    Sounds as if you are having a great time in London, KC. I'm so happy for you that you are well enough to do so much and are having success finding such interesting cat-related locations:j

I know an old fix for ring-marks was cigarette ash:eek: (not that I ever tried it myself, being a lifelong non-smoker) but it was often cited as a remedy. I think I saw something online recently with a more acceptable home remedy but can't remember what it was:o. Will see if I can find it again:)

Enjoy the rest of your stay:beer:

EDIT: As expected, I couldn't find the tip I mentioned earler:doh:, sorry, but a quick Google brought up a whole list of ideas. This one has several, including pics:

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Stains-out-of-Wood

Don't click the 'download' button at the top, all the remedies are laid out on the page anyway.

To be honest, I suspect some of these tips are for newish stains as I know that the idea is to remove the moisture just under the surface of the wood that has been left by the cup etc. Not sure what would work for really old established stains as I think yours are.
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi KC,
    I use "ringaway" I think it's called. Haven't used it for years but think I have a bottle/ tube knocking about in a cupboard. Works a treat. Will try and find it later.
    How long are you in London for? (I'm a North Londoner).
    V
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure