Avoiding Nuisance Callers

Comments

• ''hello are you mr xxxx''
    ''no, i'll just go and get him''
    and then hang up

they get the hint soon enough :D
    things arent the way they were before, you wouldnt even recognise me anymore- not that you knew me back then ;)
    BH is my best mate too, its ok :)

I trust BH even if he's from Manchester.. ;)

all your base are belong to us :eek:
  • I regularly get phone calls from these companies, so now I have started to pass them over to my "PA" or "events manager" or "Accountant" to deal with these calls! (Yes, that's right my 2 year old :D daughter!)
    She will happily answer any questions they may have.
    And it's not a lie on my behalf, she does generally decide what we are doing each day, and what my money is spent on (usually Smarties!) so I have just instated her with a job title - Well she has to earn her keep ;).

It's amazing how quickly they stop calling after 5 minutes on the phone with her.
    The best one was when she informed them that she had just "Done a wee wee like a big girl!" :rotfl: Classic!
    Cross Stitch Cafe Member No: 86 :j
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    kitekat wrote: »
    A while back on here someone posted a site where you could get 0870 numbers for nothing,give these out to companies and it costs them to phone you and you make money from each call.Maybe someone here can help.

The most expensive number to call - that you can get for free without registering with the premium phone regulator is a PERSONAL NUMBER. These numbers are of the format 070 xxx xxxxxx.

At first glance they appear to be mobile numbers but the '0' after '07' indicates they are personal numbers. They can cost up to 50p/minute to call from a BT landline.

You can get an 070 Personal Number from many providers...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=1W1RNTN_en&q=personal+number+070&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB&aq=f&oq=
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    i've just had one of these 070 numbers ring my house.

it's someone sounding in distress on the phone asking 'hello...can you hear me..can you hear m...' and the line goes dead.

alarm bells rang when i returned the call and was redirected immediately. i hung up during the first ring.

i wont be charged for hearing 'please wait while we redirect your call & one ring will i?
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • d-seven
    d-seven Posts: 351
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I've had a telesales rep hang up on me a few years ago. I told her I was on the TPS and asked for her companies name, which she wouldn't tell me. Then asked for her and her line manager's names and she hung up.
    I have caller display on my phone so if I dont recognise the number, I leave it to go to answer. If they cant be bothered to leave a message, they are normally telesales.

The poster who asked about calling 0870 numbers cheaper.. there is a service that allows you to do this.. it was in the news last week I think, to do with the x factor. Cant remember what the URL was tho..
  • There was that machien on dragons den a while back that lets you filter all calls before you decide whether to answer or not.. And then in the future it will not forward on to you any numbers that you have barred and tells them you dont want to speak to them!!
    one of the famous 5:kiss:
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There was that machien on dragons den a while back that lets you filter all calls before you decide whether to answer or not.. And then in the future it will not forward on to you any numbers that you have barred and tells them you dont want to speak to them!!

My Panasonic phone has call barring option. :T
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    A free voip number is fine but you've still got to listen to the voicemail. How can I get some kind of premium rate number so they can leave a message but it costs them?

The TPS reduces the number of sales calls but I still get 1 or 2 a month BUT complaints to the TPS are a complete waste of time. They can fine up to £5000 per call but they have NEVER fined anyone. In 2008 so far the ICO has sent "please stop doing this" letters to a grand total of 4 companies!

So useless are TPS that there is now a commercial competitor trading on the failure of TPS. In their sales bumph they write: "Have you ever tried contacting the Telephone Preference Service? Have they actually stopped you from receiving nuisance calls? Whether they have or not - the Call Prevention Registry puts the needs of its customers first. You can expect to get attentive action from our company at all times." However I suspect they are merely charging £35.75 p.a. to register your number at TPS.

Rather than reporting calls how about inviting the salespeople to visit? At present I just say "oh you need my dad, I'll just fetch him" and leave them hanging on for 5 minutes but I think they're getting wise to that.

My VoIP provider gives free 0870 numbers for the service so that can deter them or at least cost them money, but you are missing the point.

You setup the VoIP with voicemail for use by these providers, you never have to listen to the messages. Most will NEVER leave a message, WHY, because they are on commission and if you call back you don't connect to them. Besides most offer an outbound service only.

Most companies who make these nuisance calls make a note that they got voicemail and when they get it 24/7 they eventually delete it.

As I said you never need to listen to the messages and you can always have more than one number, I have about 6 for different purposes.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    brettcta wrote: »
    i've just had one of these 070 numbers ring my house.

it's someone sounding in distress on the phone asking 'hello...can you hear me..can you hear m...' and the line goes dead.

alarm bells rang when i returned the call and was redirected immediately. i hung up during the first ring.

i wont be charged for hearing 'please wait while we redirect your call & one ring will i?

There is equipment out there that can be linked to a landline (e.g. 0207), when you call an operator flips a switch and you get charged £5 a minute. These are mostly run in offices rented by the month as they get raided.

Answer is simple, never ring back any number you do not know. If it is important they will ring you back.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure