Sell your story/letters/photos... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• As a journalist I must say this nonsense about someone getting £5,000 is such an obvious plug for the site. I my experience anyone who lies like that from the beginning isn't worth the time of day. Are there no moderators on moneyexpert.com?
  • oligarch wrote: »
    As a journalist I must say this nonsense about someone getting £5,000 is such an obvious plug for the site. I my experience anyone who lies like that from the beginning isn't worth the time of day. Are there no moderators on moneyexpert.com?

As a journalist, I'd have thought your spellchecking would be better... it's moneySAVINGexpert.com. Secondly, the moderators are here to get rid of abusive/illegal threads... not because something might, in your opinion, be wrong. I agree that the site listed seems dodgy, but a first post slagging off the moderating team here doesn't warm us to you particularly well. Go away and come back once you've learnt some netiquette.
  • Hi all, I've written a couple of articles about my experiences of mental illness, one of which I sent in to a magazine of a national voluntary organisation of which I am a member and it was published last month. I didn't request a fee and one wasn't offered - I was simply pleased as punch that they thought it was worth publishing.

A couple of questions : can I publish the same article in another magazine for payment? Can anyone suggest any magazines or journals which might be interested in publishing articles about mental health issues for payment?

I enjoy writing and have been told that I write well (degree level education)and am seriously considering self-employment of some kind due to health problems which make it difficult to remain in employment so any advice regarding freelance writing particularly in the area of mental health would be much appreciated.
    The independent woman's checklist for success :
    1. Look like a lady, 2. Act like a man, 3. Work like a dog
    Life instructions : 1. Breathe in, 2. Breathe out, 3. Repeat ad infinitum
    [strike]2008 - £4k challenge member 063[/strike] gave up halfway thru, not sure I even earned that much, so probably achieved it :confused:
  • A bit random, but I went to a club night and filmed Dougie (from McFly) snogging Carol McGiffin (from Loose Women) on stage, and put the vid on YouTube. Channel 4 contacted me and asked if they could use it, so I said yes. Then the BBC contacted me asking the same thing, so I thought sod it and sent back a reply saying "Yes, the fee is £40 per transmission". Lo and behold, they came back and said they'd pay!!!

So if you have any good, and unique, footage of celebs, stick it on youtube, as the TV researchers do use the website to source clips. And don't be afraid to try and get as much out of them as possible. If they're paying these 'celebs' wadloads of money to be on their show, they can pay you for your clips!
  • Anglea
    Anglea Posts: 7,204 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hi all, I've written a couple of articles about my experiences of mental illness, one of which I sent in to a magazine of a national voluntary organisation of which I am a member and it was published last month. I didn't request a fee and one wasn't offered - I was simply pleased as punch that they thought it was worth publishing.

A couple of questions : can I publish the same article in another magazine for payment? Can anyone suggest any magazines or journals which might be interested in publishing articles about mental health issues for payment?

I enjoy writing and have been told that I write well (degree level education)and am seriously considering self-employment of some kind due to health problems which make it difficult to remain in employment so any advice regarding freelance writing particularly in the area of mental health would be much appreciated.

Normally you can't have an article published twice as far as I'm aware.

Mental health - I would imagine that many magazines would be interested, why don't you look at them at the newsagents and see which ones print similar items. I know that when I've looked at magazine directories and Writers and Artists yearbook, unless you've looked at hard copies yourself, it's easy to approach the wrong publisher, especially if they have a writing style that does not match your own.

You could get £5 per letter if you get published on the chat page of Cygnus books (mind body and spirit) magazine - and you have to look at the bottom of the page to see forthcoming topics. It's free to be a member and get their monthly magazines full of articles and reviews.
  • I wouldn't mind selling pics and stories but I would want the nation to see me !!
    Has a job wooohooo" :j
  • I have some stories I could write up for some of my experiences serving in the RN - on ships, submarines and shore establishments, but wouldn't know who to send to....
    Thanks!
  • we have been approached by 3 different agencies to sell our story and the best offer at the moment is £500 which we're happy with! We have a query though about whether this will be taxable income - can anyone help? signing a contract for exclusivity is involved.
  • red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    do you have to have pictures of yourself?
    :footie:
  • Hi all, I've written a couple of articles about my experiences of mental illness, one of which I sent in to a magazine of a national voluntary organisation of which I am a member and it was published last month. I didn't request a fee and one wasn't offered - I was simply pleased as punch that they thought it was worth publishing.

Well, this would depend on what the terms and conditions are. I'm a Publisher, and we would normally have the copyright signed over for things like articles. I think that books are a whole different beast though (I do magazines/journals). Did you sign a copyright form (ie sign copyright over to the voluntary organisation)? Even if you haven't..you'd need to check with the publication you intend to submit to whether they'd be happy to re-publish. If they're paying you (or even if they aren't), commercial publications are likely to want the copyright signed over, and part of that agreement is usually that it hasn't been published elsewhere.

That said, there's nothing to stop you writing and selling a different version of the article - ie the same topic, but a significant re-write.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure