Round and round the overdraft....soon to be no more

Comments

• tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Have a great time Louby :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hey Louby sounds like things are going great. Have a great time at the festival
    Ramble x
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi

We had a fab time and I came back with £5! Spent £60 in Aldi, bang on budget. Meals this week:

Sat (tonight) cottage pie
    Sun. Lamb ( bought from slaughter house by OH) & veg
    Mon. Broccoli & Stilton soup crusty rolls
    Tues chicken burgers & wedges
    Wed. Egg on toast
    Thur lasagne and salad
    Fri curry

Also today had to buy my son some shorts and trainer socks.

Still on track and in budget.
  • louby40
    Going to have to go out today and buy some birthday cards and get my prescription sorted. Bit disappointed with the lack of NSD so far, only achieved 2!

Still on the plus side my eldest son (16) has a got a little job in a local pub working in the kitchen. It's just veg prep and washing up, he's going tomorrow night 6 - 11pm for his first shift! It's minimum wage so not great money, but he'll earn more in 5 hours there than sitting in his room playing on his X box! Hope he sticks to it as he could end up with lots more shifts!

Lamb in the oven and 2 loads of washing done. Dull and miserable here, no chance of pegging out.

12 days till we go on holiday to Spain but going to be a very busy 2 weeks leading up....youngest son going to Paris with school....decorating to finish.....carpet being fitted.....sorting out holiday clothes & packing........sorting out my classroom ready to hand it over to my colleague and then begin moving into another classroom....
  • louby40
    I've realised my spending app on my phone isn't accurate, because I'm actually logging EVERYTHING I log cash withdrawals then log something I've bought with the cash at the supermarket for example. So my balance is actually less than is in my account.

dont know how to manage this??
  • louby40
    If I pay for something with eBay sales am I still spending?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi Louby,
    In YNAB you set up a cash account - so you move money from your 'bank' account into a 'cash' account, and then record your spends against the cash account when you spend it if that makes sense. Can you set up a 2nd account in there you could call the cash account?

However, even then we find it confusing as I am perpetually worried that we may have money in cash but forget and spend it on the card - where all the money in the bank is allocated to other things,....so we tend now to do as much as we possibly can by card, and I only use the cash account if we're taking out fun money for a trip to the pub or something similar.

Ref the ebay question - I would say yes it is still spending, because if you forget / ignore what you buy with that money, then if you ever review your spends, those costs would be invisible. I always record the profit in as a credit, and then debit out what I've bought. I usually buy gifts with mine, so if I didn't do it this way, my gifts budget would look like it is smaller than I need.

Hope that makes sense - you probably need to decide how to best make the systems work for you (which could be different to how I do it!)

Ramble x
  • louby40
    Thanks Ramble, I need to work out what to do.

Is YNAB really worth it? It seems complicated (from what people have said) but I finish work next week for the holidays so will have time to watch some tutorials/webinairs etc and get my head around it. I know loads of people say its really good.

How much is it after the free months trial?

Louby
  • Hi Louby, love the meal plans, this is definitely something I need to get back into, used to do them every week but we got abit content and it just stopped!

Glad you enjoyed the festival xx
    No one is going to stand up at your funeral and say
    'she had a really expensive couch and nice shoes'
    3-6 months emergency fund #58: £15/£500
  • louby40
    AH, meal planning really helps me focus my food shopping! I pin the plan up in the kitchen so my 2 teenagers can see what we're having and then they won't snack (as much)

I try to budget for £50-60 a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport