Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,827
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Loon is prescribed 200 each of 30/500 + 15/500 cocodamol but it lasts him a long time. He takes them for back pain but not everyday.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Waves_and_Smiles
    Waves_and_Smiles Posts: 5,258
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 16 August 2016 at 5:23PM
    Co-codamol; is an excellent pain medication as long as you space it out, it totally saved me. I have a lot of arthritic pain so I take 8 a day set at 2 every 4 hours so there was no way to escape addiction sadly. I have also been told to take it even if I am not in pain as a precautionary dose to keep the levels stable and prevent new pain so there is no hope for me really. It will be different for everyone though depending what type of pain you have an how often it reoccurs, it also depends what other pain medication you can take. I have found pain management doctors very good at explaining why certain doses are needed so always check with one of those if you can. Opiates are always something that should be taken with medical advice only, unless very short courses are needed.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • I just watched The Croods! It is a wonderful animated film and good for adults as well as children but it does have sad bits and now I am crying (and WaSp is rolling his eyes). I recommend it though, the animation is amazing!
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    74a35f93436dde783ac1098953494eb3.jpg

I think your relationship success is due to the fact that you both have a set of needs that are very different, and both of you are capable of providing those unique needs for the other, and importantly, quite willing to do so, so you complement each other very well.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    25_zpspv8erklj.jpg

Happy anniversary WaS.

I think celebrating anniversaries is lovely not only for the couple but also for other people - it's always nice to see people you care about happy and it reassures me that it's possible for people to make relationships work.
  • Just wanted to say that my nerves were well and truly wracked by the cycling last night, especially the drama in the last race!
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    I thought of you ono after your comments yesterday about nerves :rotfl:.

What a nail biter! I made P cat jump by shouting at the TV :rotfl:.
  • Just wanted to say that my nerves were well and truly wracked by the cycling last night, especially the drama in the last race!

Because I enjoy cycling, I feel I should have watched it in the Olympics, but I've hardly watched any Olympics at all. I think I'd prefer the mountain bikes to the racing bikes, that hasn't been on yet has it?

I watched that In the Factory last night, about building Brompton Bikes and really enjoyed it, took me back to my bike mechanic days!
  • Happy 25th Anniversary WaS and WaSp!!
  • Lambyr
    Lambyr Posts: 437
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Morning all!

Feeling a bit better today. May have tried to sleep without taking any painkillers which didn't quite work out so well, so ended up having to take one in the early hours and took some more about thirty minutes ago but it does seem to be getting better overall.

My new memory foam mattress topper is lush. I've woke up this morning and not immediately felt the need to stretch so hard I could break my own back! :rotfl:I did wake up a few times in the night but I think that was just cos of the pain... didn't feel uncomfortable or anything. Only downside to the mattress topper is that now my feet can block the TV a bit... might have to see about getting something to raise the TV up on! I know, first-world problems :rotfl:

And my Internet has burst back into life... well limped back into life. It's about 12Mbps slower than it should be but is perfectly usable at present - which is good - because my desktop PC doesn't have a wireless card in it so can only connect via ethernet.

PENGUIN about drugs, both legal and not so legal

I was thinking, I've used a lot of codeine-based painkillers in my life and I've definitely gone through phases where I've used them for more than a few weeks. When I was young and did myself a major mischief that's taken three surgeries to "make do" doctors prescribed really strong varieties of codeine, like dihydrocodeine without a second thought or any warnings. I think much of this was before the addictive effects of codeine were really widly understood - it was definitely before the 2009 government review where they had to start labelling the over the counter stuff as potentially addictive.

But I wonder whether I avoided dependency on it because I self-medicated with cannabis at the same time? This isn't some "free the weed" speech or anything. Just that I found a lot of these painkillers didn't really deal with the pain I was in - probably due to the nerve damage I suffered which undoubtedly sent my pain receptors into overdrive - so I ended up using cannabis a lot during this time cos I figured if I was gonna be in pain, I might as well also be in a position where I just didn't care about it... it's all just a theory, brought on by the fact that "resting" yesterday without a proper net connection was kinda boring but maybe all those codeine withdrawal symptoms that surely I should have at one point experienced were flushed away by just being stoned half the time instead?

Not that I'm recommending anyone else go out and do that. Tbh, if I ever became dependent on anything it was cannabis - it might not be physically addictive but I do believe that the mental state it can induce can be psychologically addictive, particularly when suffering with depression, and I did overuse it for some time which was far from ideal. I haven't used it now in many years and no desire to use it again. I did lose a bit of control over it, but I just got to thinking maybe it did cover up other things at the same time?

As for the co-codamol... I've taken six in total since buying them on Monday night. I have a Tesco order coming today, so I've ordered some regular paracetamol of the "fast acting" variety. Going to switch to that (obviously at least 4-6 hours after taking any co-codamol) and see if having been given a bit of a boost by the codeine, the paracetamol is now capable of stopping the pain on its own.

END PENGUIN
    She would always like to say,
    Why change the past when you can own this day?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback