I want to stop drowning

Comments

• debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry for all the posts today!

I am after some advice. From July I will be paying 10.2% interest on my barclaycard balance of £2100 and am wondering if I shoud

a) clear all my savings which are for emergencies, xmas and holiday and clear the balance and then use the cc as and when I need it for these
    b) keep allocated savings and just chip away at it and just put any extra money towards this
    c) hope we get another 0% soon that I can transfer it too whilst chipping away at it ( this is out of my hands and will be a waiting game)

I know option a would save interest but I do feel a bit anxious about this so would appreciate people's advice:cool:
  • clearmydebts
    clearmydebts Posts: 6,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    debtaghh wrote: »
    Sorry for all the posts today!

I am after some advice. From July I will be paying 10.2% interest on my barclaycard balance of £2100 and am wondering if I shoud

a) clear all my savings which are for emergencies, xmas and holiday and clear the balance and then use the cc as and when I need it for these
    b) keep allocated savings and just chip away at it and just put any extra money towards this
    c) hope we get another 0% soon that I can transfer it too whilst chipping away at it ( this is out of my hands and will be a waiting game)

I know option a would save interest but I do feel a bit anxious about this so would appreciate people's advice:cool:

Not sure this makes financial sense but my gut says keep your savings. From this month I am going to build up savings. I am not an anxious person in general but when it is coming up towards payday (1-2 weeks beforehand) I always get anxious when I look at my balance. I like to know that I can dip into them if there is a crisis.
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
  • debtaghh
    Not sure this makes financial sense but my gut says keep your savings. From this month I am going to build up savings. I am not an anxious person in general but when it is coming up towards payday (1-2 weeks beforehand) I always get anxious when I look at my balance. I like to know that I can dip into them if there is a crisis.

That is how I'm feeling. Like you said I'm not sure it makes financial sense but I think I'd feel more secure having the savings . I would also hate to have to use the credit cards again.
  • clearmydebts
    That is how I'm feeling. Like you said I'm not sure it makes financial sense but I think I'd feel more secure having the savings . I would also hate to have to use the credit cards again.

Personally if I started using the credit cards again it would be a slippery slope to overspending. Whereas I hate to dip into my savings unless absolutely essential!
  • debtaghh
    Personally if I started using the credit cards again it would be a slippery slope to overspending. Whereas I hate to dip into my savings unless absolutely essential!

That's what I'm scared of, that if I start using the credit card for Xmas presents I won't budget as well. Where as if I physically only have £200 for presents then that's all I have.
  • clearmydebts
    That's what I'm scared of, that if I start using the credit card for Xmas presents I won't budget as well. Where as if I physically only have £200 for presents then that's all I have.

We must have a similar midset! Lol
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,581 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I would say keep your savings as at least you will then spend within budget.

Spending on a credit card and increasing the debt regardless of the fact you have cleared some of it by using savings means you need less discipline as you have effectively given yourself permission to add to the debt and not necessarily within budget.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    I would say keep your savings as at least you will then spend within budget.

Spending on a credit card and increasing the debt regardless of the fact you have cleared some of it by using savings means you need less discipline as you have effectively given yourself permission to add to the debt and not necessarily within budget.

Thanks, I agree and will keep my savings and just chip away at my barclaycard as that way I will stick to a budget more.
  • I would personally use savings to avoid interest charges! x
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • glass_half_full
    glass_half_full Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 9 June 2017 at 2:07PM
    Hi debtaghh,
    From a financial point of view reality_check is right, you would pay off debt with savings in fact Martin Lewis has posted about this http://moneysavingexpert.com/savings/pay-off-debts
    For me though, having an emergency fund has been essential in getting myself of using CCs. So if your savings are your EF then I would keep them.
    Aiming to early retire in April 2025 - DC pension currently £350k 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure