PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice on selling

Comments

• Llerryt
    Llerryt Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We bought the house cheap, really really, and have refurbished from top to bottom..im terms of ceiling prices for the area, our immediate neighbour sold for 248000 this year, a four bed detached, and other houses within the cul de sac of the same style to ours are "Zoopla" valued above the price we are asking.

I would love to be able to hide the price we paid, as it does seem to be a burdon, but it was 25k less than any other similar properties at the time, but just needed work doing to it.

Thanks for the opinions, they are giving us insight into why viewers may not be booking. Just wish there was more to do about being proactive about getting people through the door
  • Mrs36
    Mrs36 Posts: 193 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 9:50PM
    You say your neighbours sold this year, has the sale gone through as I can't see any sold prices recently?? ETA think I just found it, purple bricks? I really don't think you can compare asking prices of a 4 bed with a 3, as they will each attract different buyers looking for different things. In my area (which commands similar prices currently) there is about a 60k difference for a 3 bed and a 4 bed - in which case you are overpriced..

Ignore Zoopla, they are just algorithms and have no idea what you or anyone else has done to their property.

ETA the price you paid is completely irrelevant to buyers, so it would make no difference if you hid it.
  • Llerryt
    Can I ask what the % difference is between 3 and 4 beds in your area?
  • Mrs36
    As I mentioned, similar prices. 3 bed, 200-220, 4 bed 260-270. However that is irrelevant to your question, and your situation.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Llerryt wrote: »
    We bought the house cheap, really really, and have refurbished from top to bottom..im terms of ceiling prices for the area, our immediate neighbour sold for 248000 this year, a four bed detached, and other houses within the cul de sac of the same style to ours are "Zoopla" valued above the price we are asking.

I would love to be able to hide the price we paid, as it does seem to be a burdon, but it was 25k less than any other similar properties at the time, but just needed work doing to it.

Thanks for the opinions, they are giving us insight into why viewers may not be booking. Just wish there was more to do about being proactive about getting people through the door

The four bed is much much bigger than your 3 bed. It also has more off street parking and is in a better position than on the corner.

So £248k is the top price for a 4 bed in your area. Forget about Zoopla. It is always wrong. How does the size of your 3 bed detached compare to a 3 bed semi because you have to remember that not everyone wants to pay extra for a detached house when they can get one the same size as a semi for less.

You are competing for buyers with people selling 4 bed semis in better areas.
  • Llerryt
    Having a quick look through Rightmove, there's only a handfull of detached houses up to 250k, starting at 200, within a 3 mile radius. Of the area we are in, it was a new development, built in 1999, mix of 2 3 and 4 beds, mostly terraced and semis. Roughly 10% are detached, and ours was the last 3 bed detached that sold when we last bought it.

I know I'm being defensive and everything being said so far does make sense, but cant see why people aren't looking at least.

Guess it's more waiting with crossed fingers for someone who wants out place.
  • brit1234
    brit1234 Posts: 5,385 Forumite
    A house will sell if at the right price. However the London downturn is spreading out across the South helped by the stamp duty changes and buy to let changes.

Just get it priced right by using similar properties which have sold. People are fast no longer willing to pay bubble prices and becoming far more realistic.
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Llerryt wrote: »
    Having a quick look through Rightmove, there's only a handfull of detached houses up to 250k, starting at 200, within a 3 mile radius. Of the area we are in, it was a new development, built in 1999, mix of 2 3 and 4 beds, mostly terraced and semis. Roughly 10% are detached, and ours was the last 3 bed detached that sold when we last bought it.

I know I'm being defensive and everything being said so far does make sense, but cant see why people aren't looking at least.

Guess it's more waiting with crossed fingers for someone who wants out place.

You are just looking at the immediate area that your house is in the new estate. But how do you get to the new houses? You have to come through a large council estate. It is that council estate that is putting people off paying a lot of money for a 3 bed detached. You bought it cheap needing money spent on it but if it had been in a desirable area you wouldn't have got it much cheaper than one in good condition because there is more competition for houses in desirable areas. The only reason why someone will buy in your area is because your house is cheap which is why you bought it. The 4 bed sold because it was cheap for a 4 bed detached.

What you need to do is to work out what the difference there is in size between your house and the 3 bed semis. I suspect not much because when I looked at the floor plan your house is the standard layout of a modern 3 bed semi detached house. This makes the only difference between it and a 3 bed semi or end of terrace on your estate of a garage and a non attached wall. You then have to ask yourself how many people will want to pay £60k extra for a wall that isn't joined to next door and a garage. How well it is done up inside probably won't make a huge difference because what you have done inside is to your personal taste and you don't get extra money for your taste. You get extra money for a big extension to make the house into a 4 bed detached.

What you can't change about this house is the location that it is in and the approach to the estate. A house in this location will have a top price.
  • dlmcr
    dlmcr Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As a buyer, and I check these things, what would really really put me off is the huge increase in price between 125k in 2012 and 210k in 2017, it is an extraordinary increase - to be honest I don't care what condition it was in in 2012, it can't have been that bad since it looks relatively modern. How can a bit of decoration and some diy attract such a huge mark up? I know 2012 wasn't exactly the height of the boom and there have been price increases, but seriously...? Anything like that kind of increase in price outside around London rings huge alarm bells for me sorry. Due to this I wouldn't even view - and I suspect other potential viewers will feel similarly.
  • Mrs36
    I agree with everything that Cakeguts has said.

Only a handful is still competition O/P, and not everyone will want to look at your sort of development. If you are struggling to get viewers, while other houses are selling around you then you really need to ask if your pricing is realistic. I understand your defensiveness, but will you still be as defensive in six months time when you are still struggling for viewers?

I would not be put off by the increase in price as dlmcr mentions, but I would not be offering anywhere near asking price in that scenario.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure