Cutting up the plastic - do I don't I?

Options

Comments

• jen_jen_2
    jen_jen_2 Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    Options
    i read it in a book about year or so ago "cheap tips and frugal friends" something like that - it was american - the blackcurrant tip came from someone who spends money on her card!!!

Ready to Go Go!
  • Dumbledore55
    Dumbledore55 Posts: 1,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All good advice but the only way to be sure not to use it is to send it back and cancel it. Now you've got control of your finances don't risk losing it again. I know I have very little will power so its the only way I could be sure not to start using the plastic again!!

DD
  • Amie_007
    Amie_007 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    Hester wrote:
    Maybe put it somewhere (where you remember!) in a high-up cupboard or something. I used to freeze my card then one day in an emergency I had to dash to catch a train, so I grabbed the tray and all out of the freezer and when I arrived at Paddington I was bashing it on the ticket counter to get the card out. Eventually another kind passenger in the queue behind me donated his piping hot coffee to defrost the thing. Vvv embarrassing!

Oh my god, thats made me chuckle sooooo much!

The freezer thing sounds great, although I'd be sneaky and keep a note of the credit card number etc so I could still use it online. I have tried giving the credit card to the OH and he ends up giving in and giving it back, as I end up sulking. My mum would be a good one to give the card to, to look after, but again I think I would still find a way to spend on it, I'd probably phone and report it as lost and get a replacement one sent. I think the only thing I can do, is cancel the card and get rid of it, and leave the next emergency top of pair of shoes in the shop, where they should belong.

Will have to work on that emergency saving pot, as someone suggested, although I've got one of those and the money doesn't stay in there too long.
    Thanks to everyone who has helped me make my mind up, I think that it is time for me to break the cycle!!

I can feel a real, proper emergency coming on now, it's bound to happen, something to do with sod's law
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    How about you cut up the cards, and arrange an overdraft facility with your bank that you could dip into if a real dire emergency arose? (apologies if credit rating won't allow this). You're less likely to dip into that as it feels mroe like cash.

If not, give your credit card to a mate who'll onlly let you have it for a real emergency. A good friend won't mind the responsibility.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • Amie_007
    Options
    I reduced my overdraft from £400 to £150, as I was always dipping into the overdraft. I thought that £150 was alot more managable to pay back, and couldn't get myself into any real trouble with the overdraft set at this amount, as it was affordable to repay within the month, so I don;t really want to increase it again.

I actually went food shopping yesterday and the aim was to pay for the shopping in cash, whilst sticking to a budget of £40.00. I did have my debit card in case of a nasty miscalculation, but it actually felt quite good to be paying in cash for a change. I also got £3.80 off change from the £40 cash, and I felt rather smug.

Gunna try and live without the plastic and see how it goes, am scared though!
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good luck!

Remember - skint isn't half as scary as in debt. :grouphug:
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Callisto wrote:

Also love the idea about freezing the card! But surely it will take up too much space for all of the BOGOF frozen goods to fit in the freezer? :)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I guess you would have to freeze it flat in a sandwich type bag, might just squish it in somewhere!

Jo xx

EDIT: One thing I have found useful if you get rid of the card, is to do the pin money challenge on the Oldstyle board, and at the end of the month, allow yourself to spend that amount on whatever you like, I see it as my treat money. Mine is mostly virtual pin money right now (see O.S!) but the few pounds I do get are for my savings that are mine and not for bills - as soon as the money situation gets easier, my pin will be more real and less virtual, so I will always get a treat by using the nifty tricks.

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • jen_jen_2
    Options
    if you are that bad and know you are CUT UP THE CARD NOW and DO NOT increase your overdraft. you need serious control.

get a piggy bank that cannot be opened until you smash it - read about them on here and cant remember what they are called but will try and find thread

if your emergency may be shoes you will continue to run up debt again, dont ruin all your hard work by keeping card. Perhaps you could give savings to mum in case of emergency and she have card you can use if said emergency arrives using the cash you have saved with her to pay it off (maybe a second holder on her account but she keeps the card)

dont do it.
    Ready to Go Go!
  • Amie_007
    Options
    I am going to demonstrate some willpower (for once!) and be strict. There will be no increase in overdraft and the card is getting it!
  • jen_jen_2
    Options
    :t :t :t :t :t :t :t
    Ready to Go Go!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income