Feb-YOU-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread

Comments

• Count me in, guys: I have a terrible habit of buying lunch most days and it is SUCH a waste of cash! I have counted twenty working days this month and I managed to bring lunch to wor on Friday so I am already on a roll. I think I probably spend about £3 a day on lunch, meaning I could save up to £60 if I bring my lunch and I am going to be brassic this month so needs must...

Today I made a loaf of seeded bread in the breadmaker and a big slow cooker full of soup. Guess what I am having for lunch tomorrow?! :)

I may try to put £3 in a jar for each day I don't buy lunch. When I see it for real my eyes might not quite believe it!
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Ok, so which one of you swines emptied out my local aldi of their 39p flavoured cous cous......come on...own up!;)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Today I made a loaf of seeded bread in the breadmaker and a big slow cooker full of soup. Guess what I am having for lunch tomorrow?! :)
    tuna salad? :rotfl:
    I may try to put £3 in a jar for each day I don't buy lunch. When I see it for real my eyes might not quite believe it!
    That's the scary thing. Even going on lower estimates, I must have been spending around 60 pounds (new laptop, have no idea where poundsign is as all keys are mislabelled, but my old one died and this was free, so...) and that's just shocking, really. Especially as if I spent 3pounds it would be on a "meal deal" which comes with a drink I didn't particularly want; I can't drink cold fizzy drinks and we have tea/coffee provided which I drink most of the time, or I have a bottle of squash in my locker anyway.

I went to B+M and found some small cans of tuna lunch - a bit like the John West's Tuna Light Lunch, but a lot cheaper at 69p. They're in French and called "salade de thon". The one in the red box is tuna with something a bit liked baked beans and carrots, but it's suprisingly nice. The blue box is even better - it's tuna with olives and other veg in a vinagrette type sauce. Would be nice for a change, probably, but they are only small so you'd need a snack thing to go with them. They did have another one but I didn't buy it.

I love B+M; I came out with 3 huge bags full - including a scented candle and a present for my bf of a "paint your own rocks" kit (comes with rocks - they weren't even nice specially selected rocks, they were just out of a garden!) - for about 20pounds.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ok, so which one of you swines emptied out my local aldi of their 39p flavoured cous cous......come on...own up!;)

:rotfl:Not guilty m'lord.

Oooo juno , I haven't been to B&M for ages. I might need to take a trip to see what they've got :D

I stocked up on crisps in Morrisons today and bought the 20 own brand individually wrapped chocky bickies as well. I had meant to look for the Cadbury cream eggs - the ones with the 2 spoons in the proper egg boxes. I asked at customer services to see if they had them because they weren't in the sweet aisle to be informed they are with the eggs! Doh I should have realised :rotfl:I've asked the lovely husband of mine to pick some up tomorrow (he can spend his money :D)
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • mildredalien
    mildredalien Posts: 1,057
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    kittiej wrote: »
    :wave: Hi mildredalien - don't forget to share any more of your yummy recipes :D we loooove food on this thread :drool:

I love food too :D Although I do have a habit of getting stuck in a rut - usually soup + roll + fruit or yoghurt in the winter. If I buy soups on offer it usually works out as under £1 a day, but I could get it for even less if I made my own soup! Must learn how to make pea soup (I've got a feeling it's just peas and stock??)
    Savings target: £25000/£25000
    :beer: :T

• kittiej
    Forumite
    Hang on I've just been looking at a pea soup recipe

http://vicki-kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/quickest-pea-soup-ever-slimming-world.html

Here you are
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • mildredalien
    mildredalien Posts: 1,057
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Thank you!
    Savings target: £25000/£25000
    :beer: :T

• juno
    juno Posts: 6,553
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd love to make my own soup and things, but I'm trying to be easy so as I get into the habit. I think iof I try to do everything at once I'll just not take lunch at all. It can't be just me who has those days where you think "flip, I have 5 seconds to grab lunch and get out the door!"?

So hopefully if I get into the habit of taking lunch then I can work on what I'm taking, because if I don't have time to make it I'll still have whatever.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• kittiej
    Forumite
    juno I have started a small stash in my work drawer (a tip I got from others on here) so I know that if I ever have a can't be bothered day then there is always something at work to fall back on. OK so a pot noodle and kit-kats might not make the earth move but at least I won't spend money.
  • Hi guys, 16 working days for me this month as i'm off next week yay.

Friday i am declaring a half day as I took chilli and forgot the rice so had to buy a pkt, today was the usual packed lunch. Off to update sig.
    Littlewoods £10 Very BNPL £234.42
    My total debt is [STRIKE]£7242.32[/STRIKE]£244.42
    Extra payment a week: This week: £
    Total to date: £1279.29 not incl this week
    #33 NOvember challenge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts